The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2021 - NCAA Tournament Referees (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105334-2021-ncaa-tournament-referees.html)

dahoopref Thu Mar 11, 2021 01:36am

2021 - NCAA Tournament Referees

The list is out:

Adams, J Anderson, S Anderson, Armstrong, Ayers
Boroski, Breeding, Brill
Carr, Carstensen, Cassell, Chiazza, J Clark, Clouugherty, Covington, B Cruz
Daily, Desai, Dorsey, Driscoll, Ek, Eppley
Gaffney, C Green, T Greene, Greenstein, Groover
B Hampton, V Harris, Hartness, T Henderson, Higgins
Irving, Jarrett, Kimble, Kissinger, Lindsay
McCall, McNutt, Natili, Nixon, Oglesby, O'Connell
Padilla, Pettigrew, Pfeiffer, Pollard
Rastatter, Reed, Riley
Scirotto, Shows, Simpson, Sirmons, B Smith, Stephens, Szelc
Valentine, Walton, Wymer

Notables Missing: J Luckie, D Hall, E Curry, R Crawford, S McJunkins

crosscountry55 Thu Mar 11, 2021 05:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1042070)

You forgot D Sirmons. Interesting.

Any noteworthy newcomers on the list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dahoopref Thu Mar 11, 2021 07:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1042071)
You forgot D Sirmons. Interesting.

Any noteworthy newcomers on the list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for that correction; how could I ever forget a FF official like Sirmons? :D

There were no "newcomers" that I noticed. It'll be interesting how they deal with their quarantine in their hotel for the tournament; no family, no visiting other officials in their room; no social gatherings.

SC Official Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:39pm

Do you have a source for this list?

Nevadaref Thu Mar 11, 2021 01:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1042070)
The list is out:

Adams, J Anderson, S Anderson, Armstrong, Ayers
Boroski, Breeding, Brill
Carr, Carstensen, Cassell, Chiazza, J Clark, Clouugherty, Covington, B Cruz
Daily, Desai, Dorsey, Driscoll, Ek, Eppley
Gaffney, C Green, T Greene, Greenstein, Groover
B Hampton, V Harris, Hartness, T Henderson, Higgins
Irving, Jarrett, Kimble, Kissinger, Lindsay
McCall, McNutt, Natili, Nixon, Oglesby, O'Connell
Padilla, Pettigrew, Pfeiffer, Pollard
Rastatter, Reed, Riley
Scirotto, Shows, Simpson, Sirmons, B Smith, Stephens, Szelc
Valentine, Walton, Wymer

That is only 58 names. Normally, there are 96 because there are 32 first round games. Is the NCAA doing something different this year due to Covid and the entire tourney being conducted in Indiana? Will guys be working more than one first round contest?

Raymond Thu Mar 11, 2021 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1042080)
That is only 58 names. Normally, there are 96 because there are 32 first round games. Is the NCAA doing something different this year due to Covid and the entire tourney being conducted in Indiana? Will guys be working more than one first round contest?

I know something came out earlier in the season saying there would be 50 officials selected. Guess they bumped it up to 58. I no longer have access to the site since I didn't register this past season.

Altor Thu Mar 11, 2021 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1042082)
I know something came out earlier in the season saying there would be 50 officials selected. Guess they bumped it up to 58. I no longer have access to the site since I didn't register this past season.

I could absolutely see them saying that nearly everybody is working three games in the first week. (4+32+16)*3 = 156 officials. If they had 52, that gives everybody 3 games. Having 6 extra gives them some leeway if somebody tests positive or can't work due to injury, etc.

Camron Rust Thu Mar 11, 2021 07:07pm

Without having to travel more than a small distance, it makes sense to use fewer officials. They can easily make their games and that lets them have fewer people in the "bubble" to track and manage. Not that it makes much difference to them at that level, they have to have fewer hotel rooms....are they really pinching pennies?? (doubt that is the reason).

JRutledge Fri Mar 12, 2021 09:40am

This is not a normal year. So there has not been the same number of games or officials working those games across the country this season. A lot of guys have worked only one conference for the most part and have been working more games in a year. The B1G for example paid some officials a salary (if accepted) and did not pay them per game for this year so they could work all over the B1G and be available for just their conference. Some officials did not take that contract because they felt they could make more money working multiple conferences. That is why you would see some officials work a lot of lower-level conferences in TV situations. So I think this process is to eliminate the possibility for transmission and fill one where needed. Also more officials would have more possibility for problems. The goal is to simply get this tournament in this year.

Peace

Multiple Sports Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:20am

No Mike Roberts ???

dahoopref Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:46am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1042099)
No Mike Roberts ???

Not that I know of. Keep in mind that a small number of normal tournament officials were selected as "alternates" (L Spaulding, T Nuņez that I know of). They will be at the quarantined hotel ready to work in case an official becomes infected with Covid.

Raymond Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1042080)

Here's what was released on Arbiter back at the beginning of February.

"
NCAA Tournament comments:
1. 60 selected officials & 15 alternate officials will be notified the week of 3/1/21.
2. Selected officials will need to provide seven-consecutive days of negative tests prior to arrival in Indianapolis. Conferences will test officials as part of their conference tournaments.
The NCAA is working with conference offices on who will be responsible for the testing process for selected officials on non-tournament days.
3. Once officials complete respective conference tournaments, they will need to fly to Indianapolis to start quarantine as early as Saturday, March 13.
4. We will be utilizing six remote evaluators for the First Four, 1st round and 2nd round games. Those six evaluators will be notified this week.
5. At the completion of the NCAA Tournament starting on 4/15/21, I will make myself available to officials not selected to provide feedback."

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

dahoopref Sun Mar 14, 2021 03:11pm

There are already 2 officials who are out due to Covid or injury. The pool of officials will be changing as the tournament approaches.

dahoopref Mon Mar 15, 2021 06:31pm

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...419127296?s=19

Teddy Valentine, John Higgins, Roger Ayers, John Gaffney, Kipp Kissinger and Ray Natili are out.

jmwking Mon Mar 15, 2021 08:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1042162)
https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/sta...419127296?s=19

Teddy Valentine, John Higgins, Roger Ayers, John Gaffney, Kipp Kissinger and Ray Natili are out.

Oops.