The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 04, 2021, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Selling the out of bounds

This play from last night's Jazz 76er's game has created a bit of consternation in the local chatter (I live in the footprint of the Jazz's fanbase): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03Wg8TSo3V8

The call on the court was out of bounds and it was reviewed and left out of bounds and in the post game they said it hit the official before the attempted save.

The actual call isn't very interesting but having seen it linked so much left me wondering about how everybody else would handle this mechanically. I would think that having been hit by the ball the right way to sell this is to make the call immediately before the save with a bit of sell around it. Perhaps pointing to my leg a bit. I also don't see what the point of allowing it to go to replay is if there's nothing controversial that happened which there isn't if the ball hit the official.
Thoughts?
Old Thu Mar 04, 2021, 04:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

All Ships At Sea ...

If a ball touched me while I was out of bounds, I would let everyone in the gym, at home, "from border to border and coast to coast and all the ships at sea" know about it right away with a whistle, vocally, and visually with a signal (of my own choosing).

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Mar 05, 2021 at 11:36am.
Old Fri Mar 05, 2021, 02:40am
Official Forum Member

Stop the clock (important at levels below the NBA), point the direction, point at where the ball hit me, signal the designated spot, and then signal the direction again. That is how I'd do it. In an NBA game, I would point the direction, and then follow the rest of the sequence.