The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 09, 2021, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Video request: Notre Dame v Wake Forest

Just under 4:30 remaining in the first half. A Wake Forest player collects an offensive rebound and moves to the basket. He is challenged by a ND defender coming from under the hoop.
Two officials have differing calls on the subsequent contact.
They rule a double foul and use the AP arrow to award possession to ND.

Couple of comments for the forum members: 1. I do not believe that the RA is a factor on such a play because the defender is not considered to be secondary, but primary. So this block/charge would be the same as if the play were at midcourt and must be adjudged based upon the establishment of LGP by the defender and what the offense player does to cause contact. What call would you make?
2. I would like another look at whether the contact occurred prior to the release of the try. I believe that it did, and therefore possession should have remained with Wake Forest due to team control at the time of the ruled DF. Did the crew kick the rule?