The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Knees go to ground - automatic travel? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105256-knees-go-ground-automatic-travel.html)

Altor Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:36pm

Knees go to ground - automatic travel?

1st Half. Right in front of V bench, H12 receives a pass in a way that causes him to lose his balance. His feet do not move, but he puts a knee to the ground as well as the ball and pushes himself back up (again...his feet do not move in this process).

VHC wants a travel. Calls timeout after his team gains possession to complain about it. He's convinced falling to a knee is an automatic travel. Is he correct?

bob jenkins Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1041141)
1st Half. Right in front of V bench, H12 receives a pass in a way that causes him to lose his balance. His feet do not move, but he puts a knee to the ground as well as the ball and pushes himself back up (again...his feet do not move in this process).

VHC wants a travel. Calls timeout after his team gains possession to complain about it. He's convinced falling to a knee is an automatic travel. Is he correct?

Yes, under HS rules. 4-44-5. I'll leave it to you to look up .

(No under NCAAW rules)

SC Official Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:45pm

Yes he is correct in FED. If any body part other than the hand or foot touches the ground while holding the ball it’s a travel even if the pivot foot does not move.

NCAA-M this is not automatic but it’s very unlikely a player holding the ball will go to a knee without the pivot foot moving to some degree. So more than likely a violation has occurred.

JRutledge Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:46pm

You cannot go to the floor on your knees and in control of the ball. I do not know if I would use the term "automatic.

Quote:

Rule 4-44-5 says:

Art. 5...A player holding the ball:

a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.
Peace

BillyMac Mon Jan 25, 2021 01:27pm

Misunderstood Rule ...

Quote:

I just decided to add this to my list of The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules:

A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot. A player, after gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand. Both of these are examples of a travel violation. In the latter case, the player may legally pass, shoot, start a dribble, or request a timeout.

BillyMac Mon Jan 25, 2021 01:30pm

Touches Ball To The Floor ...

Quote:

His feet do not move, but he puts ... to the ground ... the ball and pushes himself back up

This part is legal. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

If his knee had never touched the floor and if he had he pushed himself up with the ball after losing his balance, it would have been legal.

Nevadaref Tue Jan 26, 2021 01:42am

Quote:

You are a long-time member of this forum. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that you weren’t aware of this rule. ;)

BillyMac Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:15am

Misunderstood Basketball Rules ...

This:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1041166)
You are a long-time member of this forum. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that you weren’t aware of this rule. ;)

Led to this:

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041149)
I just decided to add this to my list of The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules ...

Thanks Altor for pretending to not know the rule to get us to discuss it.