The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Knees go to ground - automatic travel?

1st Half. Right in front of V bench, H12 receives a pass in a way that causes him to lose his balance. His feet do not move, but he puts a knee to the ground as well as the ball and pushes himself back up (again...his feet do not move in this process).

VHC wants a travel. Calls timeout after his team gains possession to complain about it. He's convinced falling to a knee is an automatic travel. Is he correct?
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
1st Half. Right in front of V bench, H12 receives a pass in a way that causes him to lose his balance. His feet do not move, but he puts a knee to the ground as well as the ball and pushes himself back up (again...his feet do not move in this process).

VHC wants a travel. Calls timeout after his team gains possession to complain about it. He's convinced falling to a knee is an automatic travel. Is he correct?

Yes, under HS rules. 4-44-5. I'll leave it to you to look up .

(No under NCAAW rules)
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Yes he is correct in FED. If any body part other than the hand or foot touches the ground while holding the ball it’s a travel even if the pivot foot does not move.

NCAA-M this is not automatic but it’s very unlikely a player holding the ball will go to a knee without the pivot foot moving to some degree. So more than likely a violation has occurred.
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 12:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

You cannot go to the floor on your knees and in control of the ball. I do not know if I would use the term "automatic.

Quote:
Rule 4-44-5 says:

Art. 5...A player holding the ball:

a. May not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot.
Peace
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Misunderstood Rule ...

Quote:
I just decided to add this to my list of The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules:

A player holding the ball may not touch the floor with a knee or any other part of the body other than hand or foot. A player, after gaining control while on the floor and touching with other than hand or foot, may not attempt to get up or stand. Both of these are examples of a travel violation. In the latter case, the player may legally pass, shoot, start a dribble, or request a timeout.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 25, 2021, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Touches Ball To The Floor ...

Quote:
His feet do not move, but he puts ... to the ground ... the ball and pushes himself back up
This part is legal. It is not a dribble when a player stands still and holds the ball and touches it to the floor once or more than once.

If his knee had never touched the floor and if he had he pushed himself up with the ball after losing his balance, it would have been legal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jan 25, 2021 at 01:47pm.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2021, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You are a long-time member of this forum. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that you weren’t aware of this rule.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jan 26, 2021 at 01:45am.
Old Tue Jan 26, 2021, 11:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

Misunderstood Basketball Rules ...

This:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You are a long-time member of this forum. I’m shocked, shocked I tell you, to learn that you weren’t aware of this rule.
Led to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I just decided to add this to my list of The Most Misunderstood NFHS Basketball Rules ...
Thanks Altor for pretending to not know the rule to get us to discuss it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Jan 26, 2021 at 12:49pm.