The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Have Under Armour High Performance Sports Face Mask ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105238-have-under-armour-high-performance-sports-face-mask.html)

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:04pm

Connecticut Update ...

We had our Zoom COVID Protocol meeting yesterday.

In addition to what I've posted earlier:

1) Encourages the use of electronic whistles. Whistle pouches, bags, or shields will be used by those who choose to have their whistle outside of their masks. No gaiters allowed.
2) Suspend the business casual rule, come to the gym dressed in uniform, all schools will not be making locker rooms available to officials.
3) Pre-game jackets will not be worn.
4) No getting to the gym early, or staying late, to observe previous, or subsequent games, however, stay a few minutes after one's game to make sure the next crew coming in passes their temperature checks.
5) Partner pregame conference on the court, not in the locker room, six feet apart, halftime conference also on the court, all schools will not be making locker rooms available to officials.
6) No spectators, or just parents.
7) After final horn, leave gym (to officially end game) and only then come back in to get one's coat and change shoes.
8) We are not to sign any liability waivers.

JRutledge Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:16pm

So interesting to watch what different places are doing. I have worked like 21 contests of some kind since October and it is so interesting how all the levels and things have changed. I have not used an electric whistle once. I have officiated one game with a mask (not a requirement, I tried this). I have worked in 3 different states so far, will be 5 by the end of the season. Michigan is starting to require some mask-wearing in certain leagues. We have a locker room every game and usually a bigger one in most cases if possible. All places have asked us to be masked into the gym and leaving. Most have encouraged us to not take a shower and I only did that one time at a college facility. Just so interesting how different things are done across the country and across different levels.

Even two of my college conferences will be doing testing on site. Two of my NAIA Conferences has done no testing either off-site or on-site for the officials.

Crazy on many levels. I wish we had a national policy that could have avoided some of this.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:34pm

Knuckleheads ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041034)
That's a question that I have here in Connecticut. Are these protocols enforced by the game officials, or the school officials? As a game official, I don't want to be the "Mask Police", I really don't, but I could probably do a better job than some coaches, athletic directors, or principals, treating the mask requirement as I would an untucked jersey, earrings, or a wrong color undershirt. "Take a seat on the bench".

Got my answer yesterday in a Zoom meeting.

While the enforcement of the mask protocols will be the responsibility of school officials (coaches, athletic directors, etc.), if an official encounters a knucklehead that continually pulls his mask off his nose (not accidentally pulled off), we can treat the mask protocol as we would an untucked jersey, earrings, or a wrong color undershirt. "Take a seat on the bench" (no technical fouls).

Also mask breaks (one per period at approximately four minute mark) are not to be used as timeouts for coaches to discuss strategy with players (players must remain in place (distanced) on the court, no team huddles during mask break).

Also no water for players during mask breaks.

No technical fouls. Violators will be reported to our assigner who will get back to the athletic directors. If the problem continues, the CIAC will get involved.

Also, the Connecticut Department of Public Health is seriously considering bumping sports officials to the front of the COVID-19 vaccine line (being likened to a teacher).

JRutledge Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041130)
Also mask breaks (one per period at approximately four minute mark) are not to be used as timeouts for coaches to discuss strategy with players (players must remain in place on the court, no mask break team huddles).

Also no water for players during mask breaks.

No technical fouls. Violators will be reported to our assigner who will get back to the athletic directors. If the problem continues, the CIAC will get involved.

What is the penalty if they do not do this? That sounds silly? You give a break let them have a break.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:45pm

Double Secret Probation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1041131)
What is the penalty if they do not do this? That sounds silly? You give a break let them have a break.

None, just a report that may make it's way up to the CIAC.

Rationale is that drinking water will increase the likelihood of water being spilled onto the playing court (players stay distanced on the playing court, no team huddles during the one minute mask breaks).

The purpose of the mask break is for players to remove their masks while staying properly distanced to take maskless breaths for a minute. No more. No less. Nothing else.

JRutledge Sun Jan 24, 2021 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041132)
None, just a report that may make it's way up to the CIAC.

Rationale is that drinking water will increase the likelihood of water being spilled onto the playing court (players stay distanced on the playing court, no team huddles during the one minute mask breaks).

The purpose of the mask break is for players to remove their masks while staying properly distanced to take maskless breaths for a minute. No more. No less. Nothing else.

I'm just saying that is asking a lot of the officials to do it. We know that coaches take a mile when given an inch and will claim, "Well they let us do it last game...." BS.

We are to have a similar "break" but I am not sure they were wearing masks during play yet.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 03:47pm

Give An Inch, Take A Mile ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041132)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1041133)
I'm just saying that is asking a lot of the officials to do it. We know that coaches take a mile when given an inch and will claim, "Well they let us do it last game...."

Agree.

Coaches certainly like to test limits.

Luckily, all we're asked to do as game officials is to report such violations to our assigner who will get back to the athletic directors.

If such behavior continues, our assigner may bump it up to the CIAC.

No technical fouls. No drama.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.e...=0&w=300&h=300

BillyMac Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:12pm

Connecticut COVID-19 Protocol Update ...

My first game is Thursday, February 11, 2012.

Previous COVID-19 guidelines stated that pregame captain/coaches meeting would only include the referee (no umpire) and the head coach of each team. We are also now including one team captain from each team.

Previous COVID-19 guidelines stated that players may not have water during mask breaks. We are now allowing players to have water during mask breaks.

Visiting scorekeeper may sit at the table if all three (with official scorekeeper and timer) can socially distance (need a twelve foot long table).