The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Have Under Armour High Performance Sports Face Mask ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105238-have-under-armour-high-performance-sports-face-mask.html)

BillyMac Wed Jan 13, 2021 03:52pm

Have Under Armour High Performance Sports Face Mask ...

Have Fox 40 Electronic Whistle, Will Travel ...

The Connecticut Department of Public Health and the CIAC (our state interscholastic sports governing board) have come up with COVID-19 guidelines for 2021 winter sports season, including basketball:

- Practices will begin January 19, 2021
- 12-game regular season for basketball
- Players will wear facemasks while competing
- Officials and coaches and will wear facemasks
- Multiple mask breaks will be instituted
- Individual schools or school districts can completely cancel winter sports (as some have already done)
- Fans should be prohibited at contests, but the decision belongs to individual schools or school districts
- High-risk sports of wrestling, competitive cheer, and competitive dance will not hold any competitions or matches

These guidelines came out after the Connecticut Department of Public Health reported that contact tracing discovered only seven Connecticut student-athletes had tested positive for COVID-19 as a direct result of participation in a school sports events (practices and games) during the fall sports season, producing an estimated transmission rate of 0.021 percent.

https://tse4.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.0...=0&w=276&h=165

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:14pm

Update ...

Last minute changes today by the CIAC Board of Control:

- Canceled state championships (cuts down on long bus rides)
- All games within leagues (cuts down on long bus rides)
- Games may start no sooner than February 8, 2021
- The elimination of state championships allows schools to return at a time when they are comfortable, and play a maximum of games prior to the end of the winter season, which will be March 28, 2021
- No traveling outside Connecticut for games, and no hosting teams from outside Connecticut

Kansas Ref Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:29pm

enjoy your season

Enjoy your season; will you also be wearing long sleeved black shirt under your ref shirt? Our director said that we could do so; however, I have not done that--I'm just using my neck gaiter continuously.

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2021 01:21pm

Be Safe ...

I've made the following suggestions to my local board:

1) Encourage the use of electronic whistles, since we'll all be masked there probably isn’t a need for whistle pouches, bags, or shields.
2) Come to the gym dressed in uniform, suspend the business casual rule, many schools will not be making locker rooms available to officials.
3) Game jackets should not be worn, jackets that would usually be taken off and handled by table personnel.
4) No getting to the gym early, or staying late, to observe previous, or subsequent games (possible exception for Observation and Mobility Committee).
5) Partner pregame conference on the court, not in the locker room, six feet apart, halftime conference also on the court, many schools will not be making locker rooms available to officials.

I was disappointed that, unlike other states, rule changes were not approved such that officials would never handle the ball (free throws, throwins, we will have jump balls), and that the pregame captains/coaches meeting wasn’t completely eliminated (we're going with only the referee, the head coach, and only one captain), but that was probably outside the scope of our local board, or the state board, and more of a CIAC decision.

BillyMac Thu Jan 14, 2021 01:25pm

Specifics and Particulars ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kansas Ref (Post 1040971)
... will you also be wearing long sleeved black shirt under your ref shirt?

Haven't heard anything regarding that. We have a local board Zoom meeting on Sunday, January 17 when we'll "officially" hear about all the specifics and particulars.

SNIPERBBB Fri Jan 15, 2021 09:41am

Only because the guns De empty can electronic whistles work. Worked with a guy last night that used one. It'd never fly in a loud gym setting.

ilyazhito Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:58am

I stopped using one because coaches were complaining that they could not hear it. Now, I use a Fox 40 whistle mask instead.

Stat-Man Fri Jan 15, 2021 05:24pm

NFHS Video

Even though it's for volleyball, NFHS released a video on how to use an electronic whistle effectively.

https://nfhs.org/articles/nfhs-learn...in-volleyball/

BillyMac Sun Jan 17, 2021 04:51pm

More Connecticut COVID-19 Protocols ...

Update. Everything is fluid. Protocols may change as we approach the season and during the season.

Mask breaks: A one-minute mask break will occur at the first stoppage of play at or after the 4-minute mark of each period. Mask breaks should not be used as a time out with coaches offering instruction. Additionally, a game official has discretion to stop the game at any point during the contest to address mask concerns. Such concerns may include but are not limited to: a player’s mask comes off during play; a player’s mask is observed to have slipped below the player’s nose; the official is experiencing an issue with his/her own mask, etc.

Maximum number of games per week: Two (2). Three (3) games can be scheduled in a week twice during the regular season.

Pregame Protocol: Limit attendees to (only) the referee and the head coach from each team (no captains) with each coach standing on the center circle on each side of the division line. All individuals maintain a social distance of 6 feet or greater at the center circle. Suspend handshakes prior to and following the Pregame Conference.

Team Benches: Social distancing should be practiced when possible. Some suggestions: Limit the number of bench personnel to observe social distancing of 6 feet or greater. Place team benches opposite the spectator seating. Additional chairs or rows may be added to allow bench personnel to observe social distancing of 6 feet or greater. Create separation between the team bench and spectator seating behind the bench.

Table: The host should sanitize the table before the game and at half time. Place officials table sufficiently away from the sideline to allow for additional space for substitutes. Limit seats at the table to essential personnel which includes home team scorer and timer with a recommend distance of 6 feet or greater between individuals. Other personnel (visiting scorer, statisticians, media, etc.) may not be deemed essential personnel and consider an alternate location for them.

Pre and Post Game Ceremony: Suspend the pregame introduction handshakes. Suspend post game protocol of shaking hands.

The host school should ensure that the ball is sanitized during time-outs and between quarters.

Officials Uniform and Equipment: Long-sleeved shirts are permissible. Officials should not be required to wear jackets during pre-game court/player observation. Electronic whistles are permissible. Gloves are permissible.

The CIAC recommends that spectators should not be allowed. Schools may have varied rules for spectator attendance. All event attendees including coaches, athletes, school personnel, athletic trainers, and spectators are required to wear face masks.

Locker rooms should be used as little as possible. Officials should come contests dressed for contests whenever possible.

BillyMac Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:50am

Opting Out ...

Wow! Discovered that 1/3 of the members of my local board (of 300 total members) have opted out of officiating basketball this upcoming season (games may start February 8, 2021).

I haven't decided yet. Will wait until after a Zoom meeting on Saturday, January 23, 2021, when all COVID-19 protocols will be "officially" established.

ChuckS Tue Jan 19, 2021 01:43pm

I thought it would have been higher than 1/3. I decided a few months ago to opt out. Regardless of all these rules modifications and other precautions, officiating an indoor HS basketball game is a risky event. And the fact that CT is using stats from the fall season, where most sports are outdoors, to justify proceeding with the basketball season, is dubious. (unless I am inferring a cause and effect that was not actually there).

BillyMac Tue Jan 19, 2021 02:12pm

Different Season ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckS (Post 1041031)
... officiating an indoor HS basketball game is a risky event. And the fact that CT is using stats from the fall season, where most sports are outdoors, to justify proceeding with the basketball season, is dubious ...

Agree. The only indoor sport in the fall was girls volleyball, and players (even while participating), coaches, officials, and spectators (if allowed by individual schools) all wore masks.

LRZ Tue Jan 19, 2021 05:28pm

What I see here (SE PA) is that many players ignore the strict COVID-19 protocols, either fully or in part, e.g., wearing a mask below the nose, wearing a gaiter around the neck. I would hope that other jurisdictions are better at adhering to the guidelines.

BillyMac Tue Jan 19, 2021 06:24pm

Mask Police ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1041033)
What I see here (SE PA) is that many players ignore the strict COVID-19 protocols, either fully or in part, e.g., wearing a mask below the nose, wearing a gaiter around the neck. I would hope that other jurisdictions are better at adhering to the guidelines.

That's a question that I have here in Connecticut. Are these protocols enforced by the game officials, or the school officials?

As a game official, I don't want to be the "Mask Police", I really don't, but I could probably do a better job than some coaches, athletic directors, or principals, treating the mask requirement as I would an untucked jersey, earrings, or a wrong color undershirt. "Take a seat on the bench".

https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/b/pict...-176100216.jpg

LRZ Tue Jan 19, 2021 06:55pm

In the latest PIAA bulletin (1/14/21), we have been instructed by PIAA that COVID-19 protocols are to be enforced by game administration, not referees:
Officials should not concern themselves with non-compliance of COVID issues but should instead alert game management and have them handle those issues when they come up. Officials must only concern themselves with issues related to the rule book.

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:04pm

Connecticut Update ...

We had our Zoom COVID Protocol meeting yesterday.

In addition to what I've posted earlier:

1) Encourages the use of electronic whistles. Whistle pouches, bags, or shields will be used by those who choose to have their whistle outside of their masks. No gaiters allowed.
2) Suspend the business casual rule, come to the gym dressed in uniform, all schools will not be making locker rooms available to officials.
3) Pre-game jackets will not be worn.
4) No getting to the gym early, or staying late, to observe previous, or subsequent games, however, stay a few minutes after one's game to make sure the next crew coming in passes their temperature checks.
5) Partner pregame conference on the court, not in the locker room, six feet apart, halftime conference also on the court, all schools will not be making locker rooms available to officials.
6) No spectators, or just parents.
7) After final horn, leave gym (to officially end game) and only then come back in to get one's coat and change shoes.
8) We are not to sign any liability waivers.

JRutledge Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:16pm

So interesting to watch what different places are doing. I have worked like 21 contests of some kind since October and it is so interesting how all the levels and things have changed. I have not used an electric whistle once. I have officiated one game with a mask (not a requirement, I tried this). I have worked in 3 different states so far, will be 5 by the end of the season. Michigan is starting to require some mask-wearing in certain leagues. We have a locker room every game and usually a bigger one in most cases if possible. All places have asked us to be masked into the gym and leaving. Most have encouraged us to not take a shower and I only did that one time at a college facility. Just so interesting how different things are done across the country and across different levels.

Even two of my college conferences will be doing testing on site. Two of my NAIA Conferences has done no testing either off-site or on-site for the officials.

Crazy on many levels. I wish we had a national policy that could have avoided some of this.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:34pm

Knuckleheads ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041034)
That's a question that I have here in Connecticut. Are these protocols enforced by the game officials, or the school officials? As a game official, I don't want to be the "Mask Police", I really don't, but I could probably do a better job than some coaches, athletic directors, or principals, treating the mask requirement as I would an untucked jersey, earrings, or a wrong color undershirt. "Take a seat on the bench".

Got my answer yesterday in a Zoom meeting.

While the enforcement of the mask protocols will be the responsibility of school officials (coaches, athletic directors, etc.), if an official encounters a knucklehead that continually pulls his mask off his nose (not accidentally pulled off), we can treat the mask protocol as we would an untucked jersey, earrings, or a wrong color undershirt. "Take a seat on the bench" (no technical fouls).

Also mask breaks (one per period at approximately four minute mark) are not to be used as timeouts for coaches to discuss strategy with players (players must remain in place (distanced) on the court, no team huddles during mask break).

Also no water for players during mask breaks.

No technical fouls. Violators will be reported to our assigner who will get back to the athletic directors. If the problem continues, the CIAC will get involved.

Also, the Connecticut Department of Public Health is seriously considering bumping sports officials to the front of the COVID-19 vaccine line (being likened to a teacher).

JRutledge Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041130)
Also mask breaks (one per period at approximately four minute mark) are not to be used as timeouts for coaches to discuss strategy with players (players must remain in place on the court, no mask break team huddles).

Also no water for players during mask breaks.

No technical fouls. Violators will be reported to our assigner who will get back to the athletic directors. If the problem continues, the CIAC will get involved.

What is the penalty if they do not do this? That sounds silly? You give a break let them have a break.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 02:45pm

Double Secret Probation ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1041131)
What is the penalty if they do not do this? That sounds silly? You give a break let them have a break.

None, just a report that may make it's way up to the CIAC.

Rationale is that drinking water will increase the likelihood of water being spilled onto the playing court (players stay distanced on the playing court, no team huddles during the one minute mask breaks).

The purpose of the mask break is for players to remove their masks while staying properly distanced to take maskless breaths for a minute. No more. No less. Nothing else.

JRutledge Sun Jan 24, 2021 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041132)
None, just a report that may make it's way up to the CIAC.

Rationale is that drinking water will increase the likelihood of water being spilled onto the playing court (players stay distanced on the playing court, no team huddles during the one minute mask breaks).

The purpose of the mask break is for players to remove their masks while staying properly distanced to take maskless breaths for a minute. No more. No less. Nothing else.

I'm just saying that is asking a lot of the officials to do it. We know that coaches take a mile when given an inch and will claim, "Well they let us do it last game...." BS.

We are to have a similar "break" but I am not sure they were wearing masks during play yet.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Jan 24, 2021 03:47pm

Give An Inch, Take A Mile ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1041132)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1041133)
I'm just saying that is asking a lot of the officials to do it. We know that coaches take a mile when given an inch and will claim, "Well they let us do it last game...."

Agree.

Coaches certainly like to test limits.

Luckily, all we're asked to do as game officials is to report such violations to our assigner who will get back to the athletic directors.

If such behavior continues, our assigner may bump it up to the CIAC.

No technical fouls. No drama.

https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.e...=0&w=300&h=300

BillyMac Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:12pm

Connecticut COVID-19 Protocol Update ...

My first game is Thursday, February 11, 2012.

Previous COVID-19 guidelines stated that pregame captain/coaches meeting would only include the referee (no umpire) and the head coach of each team. We are also now including one team captain from each team.

Previous COVID-19 guidelines stated that players may not have water during mask breaks. We are now allowing players to have water during mask breaks.

Visiting scorekeeper may sit at the table if all three (with official scorekeeper and timer) can socially distance (need a twelve foot long table).