The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Off-topic: Texas Football ref attack (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105195-off-topic-texas-football-ref-attack.html)

Nevadaref Fri Dec 04, 2020 09:46am

Off-topic: Texas Football ref attack

I first looked on the football forum, but didn’t see any posts which were either recent or about this, so I thought to post it here as I know that several of our basketball forum colleagues also officiate football.

Anyone else aware of this? Comments?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-h...040318666.html

crosscountry55 Fri Dec 04, 2020 09:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1040370)
I first looked on the football forum, but didn’t see any posts which were either recent or about this, so I thought to post it here as I know that several of our basketball forum colleagues also officiate football.

Anyone else aware of this? Comments?

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/texas-h...040318666.html

Read about it last night. The offender is also a champion wrestler.

First, that’s criminal assault. It was premeditated and he had plenty of time to change his mind. He should be charged as such. Sports should not provide criminal immunity for incidents like this. Too often they do.

Second, I think the result should be a suspension from all sports for the rest of this school year. If the school doesn’t impose that, the state association should step in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SC Official Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:43am

Heat of the moment.

Surely the WH said something that made him react like that.

JRutledge Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:59am

If he never plays again that is good enough for me. I did hear about this yesterday but did not see the video until this morning. I would certainly press charges.

Peace

SCalScoreKeeper Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:14pm

I got home from work last night and this was blowing up my twitter feed. Charges are definitely warranted and how the school hasn't come out and said this kid is suspended from all athletic competition yet is beyond me.

Raymond Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 1040374)
I got home from work last night and this was blowing up my twitter feed. Charges are definitely warranted and how the school hasn't come out and said this kid is suspended from all athletic competition yet is beyond me.

They may not be allowed to make such an announcement.

Nevadaref Fri Dec 04, 2020 03:10pm

Update per ESPN

Edinburg High School player facing assault charge for knocking over ref; team removed from Texas football playoffs

JRutledge Fri Dec 04, 2020 03:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1040380)
Edinburg High School player facing assault charge for knocking over ref; team removed from Texas football playoffs

Arrested and facing charges.

Peace

Matt Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1040375)
They may not be allowed to make such an announcement.

They may not have made an announcement, but a little reading between the lines shows that it was done almost immediately.

chapmaja Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:12pm

Further digging seems to show he was suspended for the soccer season for a "similar incident". My only hope is this young man gets to hear the story of Jayru Campbell, who has similar issues in high school, paid his price and has turned out decent as a football player and more importantly human being. My guess is this will be the first of many incidents that make the news for this guy, and not in a good way. I hope I am wrong.

BillyMac Sat Dec 05, 2020 03:43pm

He Better Watch HIS Back ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1040380)
... team removed from Texas football playoffs.

Surprised that they punished the entire team. His teammates are going to be really pissed at him (and he deserves it).

Nevadaref Sat Dec 05, 2020 04:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1040391)
Surprised that they punished the entire team. His teammates are going to be really pissed at him (and he deserves it).

I don’t know anything about NFHS football rules, but had this been a basketball game, I would be surprised if the R didn’t declare the contest a forfeit following a physical attack upon any member of the crew. Hence, I was surprised to read that the contest continued when I saw the news article.

bob jenkins Sat Dec 05, 2020 06:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1040391)

That's the way to stop this crap from happening. The teammates know who the "problem children" are -- if the team is affected, the temamates will act.

In baseball, for example -- have everyone pee in the pot after a game. If it's PED-positive, forfeit the game. The team doesn't care if player X gets suspended -- he helped them win some game. But, if the team is suspended, the team will stop it.

BillyMac Sat Dec 05, 2020 07:31pm

Shotgun Or Rifle ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1040394)
That's the way to stop this crap from happening. The teammates know who the "problem children" are -- if the team is affected, the teammates will act.

My school principal use to refer to punishments as either "shotguns" or "rifles".

Unless there were previous "problems" with this team, as a retired educator and coach, I prefer the "rifle" approach.

And Abraham drew near, and said, Wilt thou also destroy the righteous with the wicked? (Genesis 18:23)

tjones1 Sun Dec 06, 2020 01:54pm

Hopefully the prosecutor doesn't go easy. Seems like in these types of incidents that's what we see time and time again.

Really unfortunate to see and I hope the official fully recovers and is able to return to the field ASAP.