The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 27, 2020, 05:50am
Official Forum Member

Video Request: Bradley at Xavier

The final throw-in play with under five seconds remaining from the sideline in the backcourt would be an excellent video clip for teaching what is and what is not a backcourt violation.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2020, 09:15pm
Do not give a damn!!

Here is the play (Video)

Peace
Old Fri Nov 27, 2020, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

Normal landing, correct no-call.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2020, 11:53pm
Courageous When Prudent

Not a backcourt violation because he had jumped and is allowed a normal landing, but he most definitely traveled.

Last edited by Raymond; Fri Nov 27, 2020 at 11:59pm.
Old Fri Nov 27, 2020, 11:57pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Not a backcourt violation because he had jumped in his allowed a normal landing, but he most definitely traveled.
I was wondering if someone was going to mention that part. It does look that way, but not the best angle from the video.

Peace
Old Sat Nov 28, 2020, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not a backcourt violation because he had jumped and is allowed a normal landing, but he most definitely traveled.
Agree, on both counts.
Old Mon Nov 30, 2020, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My exact words.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2020, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Is the rule different between NCAA and HS? I Don't see "normal landing " specified for FED.
I see 9.9.1A

Truthfully, I'd have called a BCV. And, I'm normally pretty lenient, but this seems too obvious. Am I wrong here?
Old Wed Dec 02, 2020, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Is the rule different between NCAA and HS? I Don't see "normal landing " specified for FED.
I see 9.9.1A

Truthfully, I'd have called a BCV. And, I'm normally pretty lenient, but this seems too obvious. Am I wrong here?
Yes. Read Rule 9-9-3 for FED.
Old Wed Dec 02, 2020, 06:04pm
Official Forum Member

With regards to the travel after the correct no call regarding whether there was a back court or not, I would bet that the official was processing the back court situation and the time remaining and flat out missed the travel.....type of situation that either sends an official to the next round of the NCAA's or sends him home.
Old Thu Dec 03, 2020, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
With regards to the travel after the correct no call regarding whether there was a back court or not, I would bet that the official was processing the back court situation and the time remaining and flat out missed the travel.....type of situation that either sends an official to the next round of the NCAA's or sends him home.
True, as a general rule for myself: When a player catches the ball with his back to the goal, turns quickly, and does not exepct or is surprised by a defender there they very often travel having to adjust their normal start of the dribble.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2020, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Yes. Read Rule 9-9-3 for FED.
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree! That is not the correct rule for this situation.

9-9-3 applies to a player who jumps and possesses the ball with both feet off the ground and may make a "normal landing". He never "took off", he was still on the "runway".
He catches the ball with his foot on the floor. The editor even paused the video!

I question, Why would the video be shown if it were so obvious the correct ruling was made?

To me, the case plays describe "what is or is not a BCV"!

Ok, let me have it!
Old Fri Dec 04, 2020, 12:33pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I completely disagree! That is not the correct rule for this situation.

9-9-3 applies to a player who jumps and possesses the ball with both feet off the ground and may make a "normal landing". He never "took off", he was still on the "runway".
He catches the ball with his foot on the floor. The editor even paused the video!

I question, Why would the video be shown if it were so obvious the correct ruling was made?

Ok, let me have it!
Go to the replay. Around the 00:15 mark you can see him jump off his left foot and catch the ball with both feet off the ground.
Old Fri Dec 04, 2020, 01:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

Ok, let me have it!
I have read people suggest that he had one foot on the floor, but that is very sketchy at best. He might touch the ball with a toe on the floor, but he certainly does not possess the ball with that foot on the floor. So if that is the hill you want to die on when this is live, be my guest, but not a very good one to die on at all IMO.

I made the video because it was a good example of the rule. Most people do not know the rule or think that if he is touching the FC, he cannot touch the BC on a throw-in (Jump ball and defensive position).

Peace
Old Fri Dec 04, 2020, 02:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Both Feet Off The Floor ???

Quote:
9-9-3 ...
NFHS:

During a jump ball, throw-in or while on defense, a player may legally jump from his/her frontcourt, secure control of the ball with both feet off the floor and return to the floor with one or both feet in the backcourt. The player may make a normal landing and it makes no difference whether the first foot down is in the frontcourt or backcourt.

9.9.1 SITUATION A: A1 catches the throw-in pass with one foot on the floor in A's frontcourt and the other foot not touching the floor. The non-pivot foot then comes down in A's backcourt. RULING: Violation. Player and team control are established in A's frontcourt when A1 catches the throw-in pass. The violation occurs when A1 subsequently touches the backcourt with the non-pivot foot. (4-12-6; 9-9-3)

9.9.1 SITUATION B: During a jump ball, A1 taps the ball. A2 takes off from Team A's frontcourt and catches the ball while in the air. A2 lands with: (a) both feet in frontcourt and then steps to backcourt with one foot; (b) one foot in backcourt and one in the frontcourt; or (c) both feet in the backcourt. RULING: Team control is not established until A2 catches the ball. Violation in (a). Legal in (b) and (c). (4-12-6; 9-9-3)

In my opinion White #4 secures the ball with one foot, his left foot, on the floor in frontcourt, followed by his right foot touching the floor in the backcourt.

Backcourt violation.

Then again, I only get this close to a college game when I buy a ticket, or watch the game on television.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 05, 2020 at 05:56pm.