The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 10:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Just for some perspective, I looked up the survival rates for coronavirus infection on the CDC website. As of last week the numbers were:

0-19 99.997% survival
20-49 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

I would guess most of those officials Cameron is worried about fall in the 50-69 age group. Based on these statistics, and the statistics for obesity and obesity related illness in the US, those officials have orders of magnitude greater chance of having a heart attack and dying during the game than they have of catching and dying from cronoavirus.
The issue is not dying. There are other things that can happen to you if you contact the virus or that we do not know for sure what can happen to you. So if that is all you are worried about, then you are not dealing with the facts of the concern.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 24, 2020, 10:48pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Just for some perspective, I looked up the survival rates for coronavirus infection on the CDC website. As of last week the numbers were:

0-19 99.997% survival

20-49 99.98%

50-69 99.5%

70+ 94.6%

I would guess most of those officials Cameron is worried about fall in the 50-69 age group. Based on these statistics, and the statistics for obesity and obesity related illness in the US, those officials have orders of magnitude greater chance of having a heart attack and dying during the game than they have of catching and dying from cronoavirus.
Survival rates aren't the issue. If an official tests positive, do you think he'll be working any more games for the next couple of weeks? What about his partners from the last game he worked? Will they have to wait to work, or will they be allowed to work immediately? What about the other officials he worked with the week prior to testing positive?

That goes for any business. If your employees start popping up positive, how are you going to conduct business? Are customers are going to want to utilize your business?

It goes beyond whether or not a particular person will die or get severely ill.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Thu Sep 24, 2020 at 10:53pm.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2020, 09:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

Long Term Effects ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The issue is not dying. There are other things that can happen to you if you contract the virus ...
Agree.

According to the Mayo Clinic (a pretty reliable source), long term COVID-19 effects may include:

Fatigue
Cough
Shortness of breath
Headache
Joint pain

Lasting damage to the heart muscle that may increase the risk of heart failure or other heart complications in the future.

The type of pneumonia often associated with COVID-19 can cause long-standing damage to the tiny air sacs (alveoli) in the lungs. The resulting scar tissue can lead to long-term breathing problems.

COVID-19 can cause strokes, seizures and Guillain-Barre syndrome, a condition that causes temporary paralysis. COVID-19 may also increase the risk of developing Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.

COVID-19 can make blood cells more likely to clump up and form clots. While large clots can cause heart attacks and strokes, much of the heart damage caused by COVID-19 is believed to stem from very small clots that block tiny blood vessels (capillaries) in the heart muscle. Other organs affected by blood clots include the lungs, legs, liver and kidneys.

COVID-19 can weaken blood vessels, which contributes to potentially long-lasting problems with the liver and kidneys.

COVID-19 patients treated in a hospital's intensive care unit with mechanical assistance such as ventilators can make a person more likely to later develop post-traumatic stress syndrome, depression and anxiety.

Yesterday, on a "bad day" when I was experiencing a lot of pain in my arthritic right ankle, I visited Home Depot to purchase some lumber to make new ramp for my backyard chickens. Reached the entrance and realized that I had left my mask in the car. Turned around and limped back to my car to get my mask. Was pissed at myself for forgetting, but didn't give a second thought to how stupid and fruitless, as some people think, wearing a mask was. Didn't give a second thought to how high the survival rate of COVID is. Didn't give a second thought to how, as some people think, my governor and Home Depot were depriving me of my liberty, turning people like me into "sheep". I was just happy (and felt patriotic) to wear my mask to protect other people, both shoppers and Home Depot workers (who have to work to provide for their families), from the slight possibility of me asymptomatically having the coronavirus. I did give COVID a second thought when, for my own safety, I (with the advice of my physician daughter, nurse daughter, and my own primary care physician) decided that it's still too early to go back to church, or to go back to my gym.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Sep 25, 2020 at 09:45am.
Old Fri Sep 25, 2020, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with you. However, perhaps a bigger issue is keeping enough officials to be able to cover the games. It may be necessary to do things that statistically don't appear to be that beneficial just to satisfy the concerns of the officials.
Coverage is definitely an issue. There is a local tournament this weekend, and I have been bombarded with many emails and texts looking for officials. Last year that never happened. Just got another one a few minutes ago.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 09:13am
Do not give a damn!!

IHSA doing the same.....

Illinois will be doing similar but they will give the ball to the visiting team to start the game instead. If the game is a neutral site, then a coin flip will decide who gets the ball (visiting team calls it like in football). If there is an overtime or extra period, a coin flip will decide who gets the ball to start the game at that point.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Where did you get that information? Is it on the IHSA website?
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 11:01am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd66 View Post
Where did you get that information? Is it on the IHSA website?
I got it from Sam Knox at a meeting last night where he discussed this issue. Also there was another PowerPoint floating around that was presented that gave more information. It does not appear it is announced but it is likely to be on the the Rules Video in a few weeks.

Peace
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks. Will watch for it in the coming days.
Old Fri Oct 16, 2020, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Let Me Root, Root, Root For The Home Team ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... give the ball to the visiting team to start the game instead. If the game is a neutral site, then a coin flip will decide who gets the ball (visiting team calls it like in football). If there is an overtime or extra period, a coin flip will decide who gets the ball to start the game at that point
Why make it so complicated, BillyMac said nit-pickingly.

Somebody has to wear white jerseys. Somebody has to be the home team on most (although not all) scoreboards. It's usually decided ahead of time, often based on seeding.

Start the game with the team not wearing white getting the ball. Start all overtime periods with the direction of the possession arrow at the end of the the previous period, as the second, third, and fourth period started.

Not picking on JRutledge, or The Land of Lincoln, just thinking out loud.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Oct 16, 2020 at 01:24pm.
Old Sun Oct 18, 2020, 02:56pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I've cleaned up the thread and gave a poster some time off.

I suppose I need to watch the forum closer despite the general lack of activity.