The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 02:52pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Scrimmages ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
Interesting that the scrimmage fee includes an option for 3 man, but Connecticut uses 2 man!
The $150.00 scrimmage fee is actually for two hours, or six periods, whichever comes first. When three officials are assigned we rotate in and out each period, with only two officials working each period for a total of four periods for each individual official by the end of the scrimmage.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 03:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

How would you know what someone pays the assignor unless they tell you? I know assignors that are paid a flat fee per school. I know assignors that are paid per game. How would we know what that break down and why would we report it if we have no idea what that is? All I know is my check my be $75, I have no idea what other fees are involved unless on the contract. This is almost never discussed openly here.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 04:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

John Lewis, One Of The Big Six Leaders ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
Just noticed this and remembered that your Mom was active in the civil rights movement. Great way to honor and remember.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 04:16pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
How would you know what someone pays the assignor unless they tell you? I know assignors that are paid a flat fee per school. I know assignors that are paid per game. How would we know what that break down and why would we report it if we have no idea what that is? All I know is my check my be $75, I have no idea what other fees are involved unless on the contract. This is almost never discussed openly here.

Peace
I started noticing it because my 1099 did not match my spreadsheet when it came to income from my High School association.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 04:29pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I started noticing it because my 1099 did not match my spreadsheet when it came to income from my High School association.
Only speaking for me. We do not get that information. Even the games on Blue Zebra or Arbiter, we get no additional information about payment for the assignor. I am sure there are other places that might not be the case.

Peace
Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 04:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Only speaking for me. We do not get that information. Even the games on Blue Zebra or Arbiter, we get no additional information about payment for the assignor. I am sure there are other places that might not be the case.

Peace
We've always known and it's always been advertised that the commissioner gets a percentage of all our games, but I was surprised when I saw my 1099 reflected income I never saw.

I don't agree with the characterization that it's my income and then I'm paying the commissioner. It's in the contract that the schools pay our association a certain dollar figure for officials per game. The percentage that goes to the commissioner is money officials never see.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

1099's ...

Quote:
In my case the two never match because only about half the schools we cover use Arbiter, and only Arbiter sends most of us 1099's. We have so many officials and our assigner tries to spread it out so that the same officials don't often work at the same site more than once or twice a season that individual schools (or school systems) don't often meet minimum payments (I believe that it may be $600.00) to generate mandatory 1099's for almost all of us.

I have to explain this to my accountant every year.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 03, 2020 at 04:47pm.
Old Mon Aug 03, 2020, 04:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We've always known and it's always been advertised that the commissioner gets a percentage of all our games, but I was surprised when I saw my 1099 reflected income I never saw.

I don't agree with the characterization that it's my income and then I'm paying the commissioner. It's in the contract that the schools pay our association a certain dollar figure for officials per game. The percentage that goes to the commissioner is money officials never see.
I do get that. But we are not in that kind of system. No commissioner assigns a game from any association (we have no such position). We are assigned games by conference or tournament director and if we get a 1099, it might be only the games we get paid online, which in most games are not paid that way yet. All I am saying they do not disclose that information to us. So if I get paid $75 from said school, then that is all I can claim at this point. Not saying that is right, just saying that it is what it is.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 04, 2020, 11:42am
Administrator

OhioHSAA Rules and Regulations prohibit the charging of Officials an assigners fee.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 04, 2020, 11:50am
Esteemed Forum Member

No Such Thing As A Free Lunch ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
OhioHSAA Rules and Regulations prohibit the charging of Officials an assigners fee.
Since we all know that assigners wouldn't assign for free, Ohio assigners must be paid by the schools, school systems (towns), conferences (leagues), or the state.

I've known a few recreation level (youth and men), travel, and middle school assigners who have assigned for free, doing it to assign themselves the "choicest" games, or as a supporter of the league or school.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Aug 04, 2020 at 12:49pm.
Old Tue Aug 04, 2020, 12:24pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Since we all know that assigners wouldn't assign for free, Ohio assigners must be paid by the schools, school systems (towns), conferences (leagues), or the state.

I've known a few recreation level, travel, or middle school assigners who have assigned for free, doing it to assign themselves the "choicest" games, or as a supporter of the league or school.

Bill:

You are corrrect. Assigners are "paid by the schools, school systems (towns), conferences (leagues)".

The OhioHSAA sanctioned assigner who assigns H.S. baseball and softball in the Toledo area also assigns most of the baseball and softball travel tournaments. The OhioHSAA requires him to use a completely separate Arbiter account for him to assign the baseball and softball travel tournaments and he charges the teams and tournaments not the umpires to pay to maintain his second Arbiter account.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Aug 04, 2020, 12:32pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

I've known a few recreation level, travel, or middle school assigners who have assigned for free, doing it to assign themselves the "choicest" games, or as a supporter of the league or school.

Billy:

Your cartoon reminds me of an advertisement that has been on Facebook for the last two weeks by a company in Montana that sells leather goods. It wants to get rid of its entire inventory leather pocket books, laptop cases, shoulder bags, and back packs. These items all normally sell starting at $150 and as much at $350, and the company is giving them way free with the "buyer" only paying shipping and handling: And S&H starts at $85 for the cheapest item with the cost going well over $120 for the more pricey item.

The Mafia could take lessons from this company, LOL!

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Aug 05, 2020, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Every assigner, college and high school, I've ever received games from collects fees from both officials and the schools.

If the schools don't want to pay for an assigner then they can hire their own officials.
Not in Michigan. MHSAA is clear. Assigners can collect fee from the league or from the schools, or they can charge officials and assigning fee, but NOT both. Schools also pay officials. Assigners are prohibited from getting pay for the officials and passing it on to the officials.

Personally, I charge the schools a flat fee for assigning.
Old Wed Aug 05, 2020, 09:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Every assigner, college and high school, I've ever received games from collects fees from both officials and the schools.

If the schools don't want to pay for an assigner then they can hire their own officials.
The only thing we paid for in Illinois was the Arbiter site which was like $7 to use the site. We never paid for any fee for games, at least not that we can account for.

In Indiana, we pay nothing but dues to the association. The Association takes care of all the assigning and the site usages, which used to be Arbiter but now is Eventlink.

Peace
Old Wed Aug 05, 2020, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks Mark!

Curious if you know the amount the assignors charge the schools/school systems or towns/conferences?