The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 20, 2020, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

NCAA 2020-21 Summer Coaches Rules Training Video

Informative 30-minute video about the new rule changes about the 20-second shot clock frontcourt possessions as well as the usual POE for the upcoming season; if there is one.

https://vimeo.com/437900631/6275b88bc6
Old Mon Jul 20, 2020, 01:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Nice Video ...

Thanks dahoopref.

I only officiate high school games, but I still got a lot of good pointers for my NFHS games even though the rules may not be exactly the same.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Jul 20, 2020 at 01:25pm.
Old Mon Jul 20, 2020, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Good video with good content! Now if they can just get officials to do what they're asking them to do.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2020, 08:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Good video with good content! Now if they can just get officials to do what they're asking them to do.
It's veteran officials, and sometimes supervisors, who are most resistant to following NCAA edicts.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2020, 09:02am
Official Forum Member

Ugh, more video reviews.
More hand-checking fouls, more travels, more illegal screens, more unclear whistles on post players...
All of the above equals less game flow and a less enjoyable event to watch.

I agree with calling the stuff that matters, but half of what was shown in this video was trivial despite the narrator stated “and needed to be called.” That is the mistake being made with this video instruction.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2020, 09:36am
Do not give a damn!!

It is what it is. At the level I am working (everything but D1) we are asked to do these things and get support when we call these things. Clearly you can see who advances in the NCAA Tournament at the D1 level based on these things. I just think we will have people that will complain no matter what we do. But I see teams adjust or ask us to call these things when we do not do it consistently.

Peace
Old Tue Jul 21, 2020, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
It's veteran officials, and sometimes supervisors, who are most resistant to following NCAA edicts.
As I saying--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Ugh, more video reviews.
More hand-checking fouls, more travels, more illegal screens, more unclear whistles on post players...
All of the above equals less game flow and a less enjoyable event to watch.

I agree with calling the stuff that matters, but half of what was shown in this video was trivial despite the narrator stated “and needed to be called.” That is the mistake being made with this video instruction.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 21, 2020 at 03:44pm.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2020, 05:38pm
Official Forum Member

Several of the clips shown in the video come down to a person’s opinion. Of course, an unpermitted step with the pivot foot during a drive to the basket matters, but should we call slight movement of the pivot foot on the perimeter?

The two areas which lacked the most clarity in the video were offensive and defensive fouls in the post. Probably 80% of what was stated to be a foul doesn’t look like anything to me. The obvious push-offs and displacements of defenders are going to be called. It is the minor battling for position which is going to cause confusion and frustration when it gets a whistle. There won’t be any consistent standard of judgment.

I’ve also been part of games in which an official whistled illegal screens away from the action. What was the impact on the play? I can understand if a player got clobbered, but whistling minor contact in such situations only causes frustration, adds to the foul counts of the players and teams, breaks the action, and results in more FTs later in the contest. The calls were justified by “we are supposed to call more illegal screens.” This lack of understanding exemplifies everything that is wrong with the current robot refereeing that is being taught. What is whistled needs to matter, not just be called because it fits a definition. The art of officiating is being lost and replaced by an unthinking formulaic code. We need to bring back thoughtful, human officiating which makes sense.

I believe that the issue stems from having people who are long retired from officiating attempting to impose standards on today’s game. They don’t have a good feel for the current state of the game and we can’t call it like they did in 1987.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Tue Jul 21, 2020 at 05:46pm.
Old Tue Jul 21, 2020, 06:56pm
Official Forum Member

The traveling thing makes me laugh.

How many times do you go to a camp, call a correct travel, only to hear stupid camp speak like "Unless grandma can see it in the top row, you shouldn't call it" by the supposedly top officials who are enforcing these directives?

Likewise, as long as supervisors chastise referees who penalize poor sportsmanship, the behavior of the participants will continue to be a problem.

And then we wonder why these are points of emphasis every year.
Old Wed Jul 22, 2020, 02:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Absolutely agree. It is tough to get some people to change that have been successful with the old ways.