The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Shame on Iona (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105040-shame-iona.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 14, 2020 04:06pm

Shame on Iona

For hiring Rick Pitino. Boo, hiss!

ilyazhito Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:29pm

What did Pitino do wrong? Does he have a history of mistreating officials in the past?

WhistlesAndStripes Sun Mar 15, 2020 01:08am

I wonder if Vegas sports books are taking action on how soon Zion’s makes the final four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRZ Sun Mar 15, 2020 08:58am

"What did Pitino do wrong?"

ilyazhito, is this a sincere question or did you forget to use blue font? If serious, his history is a matter of public record, easily found on the 'net.

JRutledge Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1038259)
"What did Pitino do wrong?"

ilyazhito, is this a sincere question or did you forget to use blue font? If serious, his history is a matter of public record, easily found on the 'net.

OK, but what does this have to do with officiating? If you do not like the guy for other reasons, that is fine. But this topic of him being hired has little or nothing to do with officiating. So there does not have to be blue font if people are asking a "kind of serious" question.

Peace

LRZ Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:10pm

I meant my response to the first question seriously, not as an insult or derogatorily. Maybe I should have used blue font.

JRutledge Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by LRZ (Post 1038262)
Maybe I should have used blue font.

This entire thread should be in blue font. ;)

Peace

LRZ Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1038263)
This entire thread should be in blue font. ;)

Or invisible ink!

scrounge Sun Mar 15, 2020 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1038256)
What did Pitino do wrong? Does he have a history of mistreating officials in the past?

Is that a serious question?

Player989random Sun Mar 15, 2020 08:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 1038265)

You got to realize that in the DC area, we view Marion Barry as an idol. Pitino was set-up.

Raymond Mon Mar 16, 2020 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrounge (Post 1038265)

I think he is in his early 20's. Not everyone follows the personalities of college coaching or tracks the history.

ilyazhito Mon Mar 16, 2020 09:56am

I'm 25. I know where Rick Pitino used to coach, but I don't know anything about his personality or actions. I read that he "resigned" from Louisville for recruiting issues, but I am not aware of why Iona College should be shamed for hiring him. If Bobby Knight, Bob Huggins, or any of the other coaches famous for abusing officials, was hired somewhere, I would be very much against it due to how he treats officials, but I don't know of any history with Pitino that relates to officials.

JRutledge Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:10am

He is not being hired or not hired for his treatment of officials. He is being hired because he has been a very successful coach. He will bring attention to that school it has never had before and probably might get some kids to go to Iona that would not have considered them in the past. Let us not complicated this topic. Unless the NCAA takes specific action towards him, this is likely a decent hire.

Peace

Nevadaref Mon Mar 16, 2020 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1038270)
I'm 25. I know where Rick Pitino used to coach, but I don't know anything about his personality or actions. I read that he "resigned" from Louisville for recruiting issues, but I am not aware of why Iona College should be shamed for hiring him. If Bobby Knight, Bob Huggins, or any of the other coaches famous for abusing officials, was hired somewhere, I would be very much against it due to how he treats officials, but I don't know of any history with Pitino that relates to officials.

No, he was fired for cause by Louisville.
The program was part of the FBI investigation into college basketball and the shoe companies, namely adidas.
The program was also flagged for a stripper scandal.
The 2013 National Championship was vacated. Louisville opted to not participate in the 2016 postseason.
Pitino himself was involved in a sex scandal at Louisville after admitting to having sex with a woman in a restaurant.

BillyMac Mon Mar 16, 2020 05:48pm

Technically Wasn't Fired ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1038275)
No, he was fired for cause by Louisville.

Later, after he was fired, Louisville allowed him retroactively resign.

Also, is the capital of Kentucky called Louieville, or Louisville?