The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Ball does not pass thru net (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/105014-ball-does-not-pass-thru-net.html)

Zoochy Tue Mar 03, 2020 05:05pm

Ball does not pass thru net

I know this has been discussed but I can not find the post(s)
(a) Ball passes thru basket, gets caught in the net and pops out.
(b) Ball passes thru basket, hits player head and pops out
(c) ball passes basket and gets lodged in net
Are the rulings different NFHS, NCAAW and NCAAM
I am not talking about the James Harden dunk. That ball passes thru the net
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlAkIarPbzI

Camron Rust Tue Mar 03, 2020 06:44pm

Your statements are contradictory. It can't pass through the basket (which is the rim and net combined) and get stuck in the net. Perhaps you meant "enters the basket".

Assuming so....

(a) no goal, play on
(b) basket interference, count/cancel depending on offense/defense
(c) goal is scored

bucky Tue Mar 03, 2020 09:31pm

Not saying that you are incorrect however I have seen a handful of situations like play b and not one was called BI. They were all simply play on.

Nevadaref Wed Mar 04, 2020 03:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1038016)
Not saying that you are incorrect however I have seen a handful of situations like play b and not one was called BI. They were all simply play on.

All of those officials missed the call. Camron is correct.

bucky Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:39pm

Is there a specific case play or rule with wording describing this? There are descriptions of hands being allowed to do that in the act of dunking. Heads aren't?:p

Nevadaref Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1038046)
Is there a specific case play or rule with wording describing this? There are descriptions of hands being allowed to do that in the act of dunking. Heads aren't?:p

Hands are allowed to be in contact with the ball during a dunk, prior to the ball’s release, in the imaginary cylinder above the basket, not contact the ball while it is within the basket.

bucky Thu Mar 05, 2020 06:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1038047)
Hands are allowed to be in contact with the ball during a dunk, prior to the ball’s release, in the imaginary cylinder above the basket, not contact the ball while it is within the basket.

Hmm, I have seen plenty of dunks whereby the dunker makes contact with the ball with their arms while the ball is in the net. Player dunks, releases the ball, has a hold of the rim, and in following through, there is body/arm contact with the ball as it is passing through the net. Never seen BI called. I think this is one of the rules that is simply never called. Maybe someone has video of it being called that they can share.

BillyMac Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:08am

Contact With The Ball Continues ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1038069)
Hmm, I have seen plenty of dunks whereby the dunker makes contact with the ball with their arms while the ball is in the net. Player dunks, releases the ball, has a hold of the rim, and in following through, there is body/arm contact with the ball as it is passing through the net.

4-6 Exception: ... if a player has his/her hand legally in
contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact
(touches the ball) with the ball
continues after it enters the imaginary cylinder or if in such action, the
player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket
interference.

bucky Fri Mar 06, 2020 04:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1038076)
4-6 Exception: ... if a player has his/her hand legally in
contact with the ball, it is not a violation if such contact
(touches the ball) with the ball
continues after it enters the imaginary cylinder or if in such action, the
player touches the basket. Dunking or stuffing is legal and is not basket
interference.

Exactly, I knew that which is why I do not understand the idea of BI when it hits a dunker's head. Are they saying that touching is only allowed by the hands and no other body part?

If yes, then why isn't BI called more often when the dunker makes contact, with the arms or other body part, with the ball while it is in the net?

If no, then why is BI suggested (Cameron/Nevada) when it hits the dunker's head as the ball is in the net?

BillyMac Fri Mar 06, 2020 05:25pm

Purpose And Intent ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1038088)
If yes, then why isn't BI called more often when the dunker makes contact, with the arms or other body part, with the ball while it is in the net? If no, then why is BI suggested (Cameron/Nevada) it hits the dunker's head as the ball is in the net?

May I suggest purpose and intent and the difference between defensive basket interference and offensive basket interference, and the advantage/disadvantage of such actions that "help" the ball go into and through the basket, or to not go into and through the basket?

That's the best I got. Maybe others can offer more?

bucky Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1038091)
May I suggest purpose and intent and the difference between defensive basket interference and offensive basket interference, and the advantage/disadvantage of such actions that "help" the ball go into and through the basket, or to not go into and through the basket?

That's the best I got. Maybe others can offer more?

I considered some of that however the ball hitting the head and the ball going up and out of the basket does not help the offense. There is no advantage there for the offense. It is the opposite and completely unintentional and negates a basket.

Nevadaref Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1038088)
Exactly, I knew that which is why I do not understand the idea of BI when it hits a dunker's head. Are they saying that touching is only allowed by the hands and no other body part?

If yes, then why isn't BI called more often when the dunker makes contact, with the arms or other body part, with the ball while it is in the net?

If no, then why is BI suggested (Cameron/Nevada) when it hits the dunker's head as the ball is in the net?

What does the text of the rule say?

4-6-1: “Basket interference occurs when a player:...Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.”

Does the action you describe meet the conditions of this rule?

All you have to do is read the plain language of the rule and apply it.

bucky Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1038096)
What does the text of the rule say?

4-6-1: “Basket interference occurs when a player:...Touches the ball or any part of the basket (including the net) while the ball is on or within either basket.”

Does the action you describe meet the conditions of this rule?

All you have to do is read the plain language of the rule and apply it.

I presume that you are teasing. I have already given examples where BI was not called. Also, nobody calls all the rules as they are written so it is not that simple. You know that too.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 07, 2020 01:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1038097)
I presume that you are teasing. I have already given examples where BI was not called. Also, nobody calls all the rules as they are written so it is not that simple. You know that too.

Nope, 100% serious.

NFHS BASKETBALL
2010-11 POINTS OF EMPHASIS

1. RULES ENFORCEMENT. There appears to be continued movement away from consistent enforcement of NFHS playing rules. Personal interpretations of the rules by individual officials have a negative impact on the game. The rules are written to provide a balance between offense and defense, minimize risk to participants, promote the sound tradition of the game and promote fair play. Individual philosophies and deviations from the rules as they are written and interpreted by the NFHS, negatively impact the basic tenets and fundamentals of the game. Illegal tactics that are permitted – are promoted. When officials allow players to use illegal tactics without penalty, the behavior is condoned and consequently encouraged. When officials consistently enforce the playing rules as intended, players and coaches are able to make the proper adjustments – promoting skill development and a level playing field.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 07, 2020 05:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1038095)
I considered some of that however the ball hitting the head and the ball going up and out of the basket does not help the offense. There is no advantage there for the offense. It is the opposite and completely unintentional and negates a basket.

True, but to keep it simple, it is defined as BI for all. No need to complicated infrequently needed rules to deal with an even less likely play.