The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

My biggest struggle (as a first year referee preparing to take the test) is gaining familiarity with all the terms that, as a player and coach, I didn't have to deal with in such precise manners.

Is there a site that gives definitions and explanations to such advanced terms as "throw-in", "dead ball", or "free throw"? ;-)

For example, I mean when an event begins and when it ends, such as a "throw-in".

Thanks,
Eric
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 05:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Eric,

I don't mean to be sarcastic or snide, but those terms are all very well defined in the rulebook itself. You'll also find precise explanations of when the throw-in or jump ball begins and ends, and when the ball is live or dead.

If you don't have a FED rulebook, then your best bet is to go to a sporting goods store and buy one. That will be your biggest help.

Your second biggest help will be to come to this forum and post questions about specific issues that are giving you a hard time.

To answer your question directly, I don't know of any site online that provides definitions of terms (for HS) as you describe.

Best of luck on the upcoming test.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 05:56am
Official Forum Member

I am not sure what preparation you have had, but the book is obviously the best place to start, with Section 4 having Definitions. However, I found the book very confusing until I read a lot on this board and saw how it all fits together. Now it is generally much clearer to me. If you haven't had a class, you will need to do what you can reading the book and ask questions about situations that you aren't positive about after reading the book.

The definitions will get you in the right neighborhood in terms of understanding some of the things that you appear to want some help with, but you need to keep a finger in the definitions section and read the other sections to understand the rules. That is, when you are reading about violations and trying to understand situations ivolving double dribble, re-reading the definition of a dribble (including when a dribble begins and ends) is essential. when reading about backcourt, you need to re-read the definition of when a ball has each status, the definition of player and team control, etc. The rules are not written so that you can look at one line and understand an entire rule.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

I used to think "Rule 4....BORING....I know what this stuff means." But since I have been on this site and become a little more of a student of the game, I've learned that Rule 4 is huge. Simple terms like "Player" vs. "Bench Personnel" or "live ball" vs. "dead ball" may seem easy enough on the surface but you need to understand them (and others) to really understand how the rules work. I think this is also why most basketball official classes start with Rule 4 rather than Rule 1.

Back to your question, there isnt too much NF sponsored stuff online past their web site which is

http://www.nfhs.org

Unfortunatlely until the Fed thinks its more important to get information out to more people faster rather than generate book income, you wont see anything worth while online.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 07:54am
In Memoriam

Eric,try the link below. It is the illustrated book for the NCAA playing rules. The basics are similar to the high school ruleset. Rule #4 has a lot of what you are looking for. It's a pdf file, so you will need Adobe Acrobat. If you don't have it, it can be downloaded on the main site- ncaa.org. Good luck.

http://www.ncaa.org/library/rules/20...basketball.pdf
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by Larks
I used to think "Rule 4....BORING....I know what this stuff means." I think this is also why most basketball official classes start with Rule 4 rather than Rule 1.
Rule 1?? Now THERE'S boring!!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Oh yeah...Rule 1 how about these gems....

"Basketball is played by two teams of five players each."

And

"The Playing Court shall be a rectangular surface free from obstructions"

Anyone watch that extreme basketball where they use trapolines to slam dunk the ball and you can check guys into the walls? Maybe they should add a wall at the time line that the guys have to tramp over! At least there shouldnt be any over and backs since you'll likely just get checked into the boards and wont actually cross the "line"

Rumor has it, Jurrassic Ref has been seen at Sears trying different trampolines out to begin training for Extreme Basketball Ref camp!

Lil help...I know it's not called Extreme...whats the name of that "League" anyway?

Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 10:17am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Rumor has it, Jurrassic Ref has been seen at Sears trying different trampolines out to begin training for Extreme Basketball Ref camp!

You saying that you think that ol' JR needs a trampoline to git it up?

Them's fightin' words,boy!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Lil help...I know it's not called Extreme...whats the name of that "League" anyway?
It's "Slamball" on Spike TV. Isn't that run by Spike Lee?
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Slam Ball.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 10:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
It's "Slamball" on Spike TV. Isn't that run by Spike Lee?
Slam Ball!! Thats it.

JR...Gettin it up....I'm not touchin that one! Hey, make sure you get the 36" vert tramp...this way you can achieve.....36 inches.....eclipsing your previous record of.......a phone book.....an opened phone book!

Dont mess with the fat man who has mass wicked hops! I dunked....once....in warmups....on an 8 foot rim!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 10:30am
Official Forum Member

Slamball - TNN's Newest Court Sport

It's a wild and off-the-wall mix of b-ball, football, lacrosse and trampolines. Welcome to the hard-hitting, high-flying, spring-loaded action of slamball - the revolutionary new action sport that's about to land on TNN.
In slamball, two teams of four players each try to get a ball into a basket while playing on a highly-modified, spring-loaded court. The court is enclosed with plexiglass walls so the ball is always in play - and there are four trampolines set up around each net. These trampolines are used by the players to pull off high-flying slam dunks - just like the ones Bow Wow pulled off in Like Mike.

But players won't have a free path to the hoop. Slamball allows full body contact, so players can push, hit and block their opponents to prevent them from taking the ball to the rack. Each team also has a "stopper" - a kind of goalie whose main job is to do whatever possible to stop the other team from scoring. This means a game of slamball will feature plenty of mid-air collisions and lots of slam dunking wannabees falling on their butt. Slam dunks and shots behind the arc are worth three points. All other baskets are worth two.