The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 18, 1999, 11:08pm
Official Forum Member

Question

An officiating friend asked this question and I thought that I would share it. This happened to him in a jr. high girls game. Team A only has 6 players. A1 just received her 5th foul but the table did not notify the calling official. Team B is in the bonus shooting a 1 & 1. A6 enters the game as a sub. for A3, (not A1). Just prior to the official administering the first foul shot the horn blows to notify that A1 has 5 fouls. My friend would not allow A3 to return and sub for A1 until after the clock has legally started. My comment was that since this was an administration error, I would let A3 return and replace A1. This one is not in the case book. Any opinions?
Old Tue Oct 19, 1999, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Ron Pilo Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Pilo
Well let me see.......A Jr. High game..........hmmmmmmmmmmm....let her in the game for crying out load. I think that sometimes we can get so caught up in the "Rules" that we forget why we are out there. Especially at this level. Let's be flexible and try to understand the spirit of the rule instead of enforcing the letter of the rule. It will make for a better experience for all concerned.

------------------
Ron
Seattle Officials - Women's Basketball

Old Tue Oct 19, 1999, 05:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Warren Poncsak
Another way around this would be to mention to your partner that the minor officials (and possibly the refs) made the mistake, not the kids nor the coach. So, back the bus up and take the original sub off the floor. Tell the coach that you and your partner must deal with the disqualified player first before entertaining the sub! Then, tell the coach that s/he must bring in a sub for the player with 5 fouls. No harm, no foul.
Old Thu Oct 28, 1999, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I agree with ALL the posts. To do this "by the book" though (let's assume it was a High School game) you'd have to send the player out who had 5 fouls. Even though that isn't the proper substituting process, the most important thing is to not let a player play who has been disqualified.