The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Goaltending, Then Foul on Airborne Shooter

Watching Vandy @ FL this evening. Saw a play that wasn’t called this way, but made me wonder what the ruling would have been if it had:

A1 shoots a floater from the middle of the paint with his momentum toward the basket. B1 leaps high and commits goaltending (C has whistle), and while B1’s momentum is going toward A1, B1 then comes into airborne shooter A1’s landing area. L has a whistle for a foul on airborne shooter A1 by B1 a split second after C’s whistle for GT).

Officials get together to discuss. What should they rule? For NFHS, closest case I could find is 6.7.9., but that has to do with a shooting foul first and then a BI violation. This is the other way around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS 4.19.6 A

B1 obtains a legal position in A1’s path before A1 becomes airborne. A1 jumps and releases the ball on a try for goal. Before returning to the floor, airborne shooter A1 charges into B1. (a) Before the foul by A1, B2 commits basket interference; or (b) after the foul on A1, B2 slaps the ball on its downward flight.

RULING: In (a), both the violation and the foul are penalized. The basket interference by B2 causes the ball to become dead immediately. The violation is penalized by awarding the two points. The player-control foul on A1 is also charged. Team B is awarded the ball for a throw-in anywhere along the end line. A defensive-goaltending or basket-interference violation committed prior to a player-control foul does not Contradict the general statement that when a player-control foul occurs that player cannot score. In the case of a defensive violation, it is the violation which results in awarding the score. In (b), the ball becomes dead and the try ends immediately when the player-control foul on A1 occurs. The action of B2 is ignored as goaltending cannot occur after the try has ended. The ball is awarded to Team B for a throw-in from a designated spot out of bounds closest to where the foul occurred. (4-12-1, 6-7-4, 6-7-9 EXCEPTION, 7-5-4a, 9-11)
Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Ok that’s a little closer and the one I was thinking of but couldn’t pinpoint. But it’s still not 100% specific to the case I laid out.

Should we say, by extension of the logic in 4.19.6A, that both the violation and foul are penalized, i.e. award two points for the GT and then award A1 one free throw?

Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Ok that’s a little closer and the one I was thinking of but couldn’t pinpoint. But it’s still not 100% specific to the case I laid out.

Should we say, by extension of the logic in 4.19.6A, that both the violation and foul are penalized, i.e. award two points for the GT and then award A1 one free throw?

A1 is still an Airborne shooter. So, it's a foul on the shooter an A1 gets to shoot the free throw.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

It's a "shooting foul" whether the basket is made or points are awarded for a violation. Even thought the ball is dead on the violation, a Personal foul is still penalized if on an airborne shooter.
Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 11:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Watching Vandy @ FL this evening. Saw a play that wasn’t called this way, but made me wonder what the ruling would have been if it had:

A1 shoots a floater from the middle of the paint with his momentum toward the basket. B1 leaps high and commits goaltending (C has whistle), and while B1’s momentum is going toward A1, B1 then comes into airborne shooter A1’s landing area. L has a whistle for a foul on airborne shooter A1 by B1 a split second after C’s whistle for GT).

Officials get together to discuss. What should they rule? For NFHS, closest case I could find is 6.7.9., but that has to do with a shooting foul first and then a BI violation. This is the other way around.

What did they call in the game?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Feb 16, 2020, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
What did they call in the game?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The GT was missed, IMO. Not the worst miss ever, though; it was right after the apex. Then the foul happened and A1 received two FTs.