The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Jump ball/back court violation? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104962-jump-ball-back-court-violation.html)

Bad Zebra Thu Jan 30, 2020 09:24pm

Jump ball/back court violation?

From my varsity boy’s game las night:

A1 and/or B1 tap opening toss into B’s front court near division line. Ball bounces on floor in B’s front court. B2, completely in front court, TAPS ball directly back to B3 standing in B’s back court. Violation?

Nevadaref Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 1037261)
From my varsity boy’s game las night:

A1 and/or B1 tap opening toss into B’s front court near division line. Ball bounces on floor in B’s front court. B2, completely in front court, TAPS ball directly back to B3 standing in B’s back court. Violation?

No. Tapping or batting the ball does not constitute player control by NFHS definition. A player must hold or dribble the ball before a backcourt violation can occur.

Bad Zebra Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:08pm

Thanks. That was my gut reaction. Unfortunately, we kicked it and called a back court violation...then proceeded to set the possession arrow to A. Lesson learned :(

SC Official Fri Jan 31, 2020 09:07am

Change it up a little...

If B2 had possessed the ball while airborne from the FC and landed in the BC, it would be a BC violation. Since the jump ball ended when the ball touched the floor, 9-9-3 is no longer applicable.

Bad Zebra Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1037267)
Change it up a little...

If B2 had possessed the ball while airborne from the FC and landed in the BC, it would be a BC violation. Since the jump ball ended when the ball touched the floor, 9-9-3 is no longer applicable.

Interesting twist. I wonder how many officials would wrap their heads around the:
1) jump ball ending
2) player control attained in FC and
3) landing in BC, causing the violation

That’s a lot to process in a split second.

Raymond Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad Zebra (Post 1037268)
Interesting twist. I wonder how many officials would wrap their heads around the:

1) jump ball ending

2) player control attained in FC and

3) landing in BC, causing the violation

That’s a lot to process in a split second.

That's why we get paid the big bucks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Fri Jan 31, 2020 12:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1037267)
Change it up a little...

Good one...I had not thought of that. That is another reason to change the rule to be simple and consistent as I've said before.

BillyMac Fri Jan 31, 2020 01:50pm

No Coin Toss Either ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1037270)
... change the rule to be simple and consistent ...

Yeah. Like forget the jump ball and giving the ball to the visitors to start the game.

God invented the alternating possession arrow for a good reason. Let's take advantage of his infinite wisdom.

Preemptive reply to Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.: Shut up.

so cal lurker Fri Jan 31, 2020 02:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by billymac (Post 1037271)
yeah. Like forget the jump ball and giving the ball to the visitors to start the game.

Satan invented the alternating possession arrow for a good reason. Let's take advantage of his infinite wisdom.

Preemptive reply to mark t. Denucci, sr.: Shut up.

fify

crosscountry55 Fri Jan 31, 2020 09:53pm

Jump ball/back court violation?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1037269)
That's why we get paid the big bucks.

What are these “big bucks” that you speak of? Remember, most of us only work HS games. [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raymond Fri Jan 31, 2020 10:18pm

Shoot, I've been on IR since Nov. 20th, I'm just an internet official this season.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

billyu2 Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by so cal lurker (Post 1037272)
fify

Satan invented the alternating possession arrow for a good reason. Let's take advantage of his infinite wisdom.

Satan called up to heaven to talk to St. Peter. "We would like to challenge you to a basketball game." St. Peter smiled kindly down at the devil and asked,
"How can you win? We have all the best basketball players up here." Satan grinned slyly back up to St. Peter and said, "How can we lose? We have all the officials down here!"