The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 11, 2020, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

Coach we’re not doing that today 🤷*♂️ Use the tools allotted hit the whistle and report a bench warning to table ..Now he clearly knows YOUR not gonna do that today !!! when he grab you your day is OVER !!! This a direct response to your circumstance !
Old Sun Jan 12, 2020, 12:44am
Official Forum Member

If a coach grabs or pushes me, that is a flagrant technical foul. He can make his point without putting hands on me.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

We probably all have to truly experience what happened to you in order to give a good response. My takeaway is that we should not be within grabbing distance. perhaps that helps ever getting into this type of situation.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 08:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
We probably all have to truly experience what happened to you in order to give a good response. My takeaway is that we should not be within grabbing distance. perhaps that helps ever getting into this type of situation.
Definitely agree with this.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 09:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Personal Space ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
My takeaway is that we should not be within grabbing distance. perhaps that helps ever getting into this type of situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Definitely agree with this.
My thought exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Invasion of personal space by any of the three adults involved?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Is it an idiom?

re: the grabbing. Warning if not an immediate T (Had to be there situation - grab and latch, grandpa "woah there sonny", hand on arm "hey what about") Can't put hands on officials but context here may make the difference between a warning to avoid it happening again or an immediate T.

re: taking it personally. The problem here is again context. 'Taking it personally' can mean that you are taking something as a personal afront but it is also an idiomatic expression (merriam-webster if you don't believe me) that can mean generally upset or offended by something. He could simply be questioning why it upsets or bothers you , particularly if his behavior has been allowed in other games by other officials.

Regarldess using the if it walks like a duck, talks like . . . theory. T him the duck up.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 01:59pm
Esteemed Participant

I once T'd a Coach for putting his arm around my shoulders. To the fans it just looked like he was being a nice guy, but he wouldn't let go when I told him to take his hands off of me...so he got whacked. Of course, he was being a complete a-hole with what he was saying, so he truly deserved it.

I think your possible response of staring at his hand and telling him to let go is what I would do first. The T would come quickly if he didn't let go.

As far as the "taking it personally" comment, my standard response was always "If I come to a parent conference and start screaming at you, you wouldn't take it personally? Really?"
Old Tue Jan 21, 2020, 04:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattReferee View Post
Coach we’re not doing that today 🤷*♂️ Use the tools allotted hit the whistle and report a bench warning to table ..Now he clearly knows YOUR not gonna do that today !!! when he grab you your day is OVER !!! This a direct response to your circumstance !
This!
Old Wed Jan 22, 2020, 04:25pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Working a BJV in front of a coach I have seen on and off for many years. Had AAU and some sub-varsity in front of him.

First quarter he screams across the court wanting some illegal contact where we felt no disadvantage was gained. I run by and let him know we are not doing that today and he quiets down.

At the break at the end of the first quarter he motions me over and my partner comes with me.

He asks me what is wrong. Coach we are not going to have you scream at us when you want foul calls to be made. If you want us to watch for something let us know when we are nearby.

He responds why are you taking this personally?

What I should have done was ask why do you think I am taking this personally.

I just decided to start to back away. He grabs my arm to keep me in this 3 man huddle....

My question is...

Is this nothing and I stare at my arm and say coach let go of me?
Do I take my arm away and give a behavior warning?
Do I move away and give him a technical foul or worse?

Never had a coach grab me like this in 6k games and so he caught me off guard.

Love this forum and wanted to ask for some advice and opinions on what you do.

I believe I said you are not going to talk to us like that and moved away.

Again thanks in advance you guys have helped my career a ton here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
I think we've gotten gun-shy when it comes to using this very valuable tool. You did him a favor with the warning, then even more so by explaining why he was behaving poorly during the break (good move by your partner to be there to hear what was going on too - these days it's not about your ability to handle the situation solo but to have witnesses to what was said).

Putting hands on an official is a step too far, though, regardless of the context. You already told him why you gave the warning and tried to back away. He then chose to reach out and put hands on you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
Flagrant Technical. Goodbye coach. See you next time.

Johnny D:

1) This is definitely a DTF.

2) As to whether or not this is a FTF or not would be a matter of how the Game Official perceived how physical the HC was with him.

3) From reading how Big T described it I would be leaning toward a FTF on the ACS Theory.

Amazingly, in my entire career I have had only three HCs make unwanted physical contact with me. 1) A YBOA Boys' National Championship Tournament; 2) An AAU Boys' Invitational; 3) A NAIA Women's regular season game. Items (1) and (2) were played under NFHS Rules and resulted in Disqualification and Ejection based upon the severity of the contact. Item (3) was played under NCAA Women's Rules and was just a TF based upon the situation under which the contact occurred; there is more to this story but that is for another time.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio