The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 01:58pm
Official Forum Member

T during shot.

Situation last night.

I'm L, A1 goes up for a layup (2 feet) opposite block from me. B1 from behind tips the ball, maybe a lil' contact, ball goes to the other side of basket, now 5' from me. As A1 is gathering his own rebound, he yells, "THAT'S A FOUL, COME ON" as he's going up again for a shot, B1 fouls him, "And1".

At this time I'm contemplating a T, and after a few seconds of processing, I felt it warranted.

What I did...As I was going to report the foul, I told my partner to hold on, I have a T coming. I reported the foul, blew my whistle and signaled the T on the now, FT shooter.

How should I have handled this?
Should I have had a T before the shot?
Should I have called the foul and then signaled the T when I decided to do so?
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpferee View Post
Should I have called the foul and then signaled the T when I decided to do so?
That.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 02:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Situation last night.

I'm L, A1 goes up for a layup (2 feet) opposite block from me. B1 from behind tips the ball, maybe a lil' contact, ball goes to the other side of basket, now 5' from me. As A1 is gathering his own rebound, he yells, "THAT'S A FOUL, COME ON" as he's going up again for a shot, B1 fouls him, "And1".

At this time I'm contemplating a T, and after a few seconds of processing, I felt it warranted.

What I did...As I was going to report the foul, I told my partner to hold on, I have a T coming. I reported the foul, blew my whistle and signaled the T on the now, FT shooter.

How should I have handled this?
Technically you should have called the T before the try was released.

Since you didn't, then you should have signaled the T at the moment you realized you wanted call one, so something like: Beep, "score the goal", beep, "Technical foul on A1"
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, I’m going to disagree with Bob twice in two minutes (another thread about breaking the boundary plane and fouling a thrower).
The rebounder committed a technical foul prior to releasing his try for goal so the ball becomes dead at that point and the defender is not penalized for any subsequent contact unless it is intentional or flagrant.

Ruling: no goal, no foul by the defender, only a T on the offensive player.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 02:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Immediate Dead Ball, No Continuation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
The rebounder committed a technical foul prior to releasing his try for goal so the ball becomes dead at that point and the defender is not penalized for any subsequent contact unless it is intentional or flagrant. Ruling: no goal, no foul by the defender, only a T on the offensive player.
In a perfect world, I agree.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
In a perfect world, I agree.
Also the timing of the whistle doesn’t matter. The act makes the ball dead, not the sounding of the official’s whistle. Replace the verbal T with a traveling violation. Obviously, the correct call would be a travel and no try for goal or defensive foul.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2019, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Wow, I’m going to disagree with Bob twice in two minutes (another thread about breaking the boundary plane and fouling a thrower).
The rebounder committed a technical foul prior to releasing his try for goal so the ball becomes dead at that point and the defender is not penalized for any subsequent contact unless it is intentional or flagrant.

Ruling: no goal, no foul by the defender, only a T on the offensive player.
I have the T for the second comment (after the ball was released) not for the first comment (before).

If you read the OP differently, then you get a different answer.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2019, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Situation last night.

Kinda had to be there. My response depends on your definition of "yells." Volume matters. If a player really yells loud enough for many to hear them, the T is immediate. You mentioned "contemplating" so your immediate trigger was not pulled. If it was quietly said, then pass on the T. After your report the foul, quickly tell the coach about the play and that you are warning that player. As the players are preparing for the FT, give that player a stern warning, as well as other players around the lane. If it happens, even slightly again, pull the trigger on the T. No one can argue at that point and disaster was avoided the first time.

That would be my choice on how to handle it but then again, we were not there. As others have indicated, you could just go immediate T or, even if you took your time, nothing wrong with that either.
Old Thu Dec 26, 2019, 10:16pm
Official Forum Member

T during shot.

Agree this is HTBT. On the merits of the rules, I completely agree with Nevada on this one. From a practical standpoint, if it wasn’t enough to get an immediate whistle, and then the same player gets fouled (for real this time) by the same guy he thought he drew a foul from on his first try...and scores...and goes to the line, I’d say he’s now pacified and just let it go. Then, at that point, if he decides to be a buffoon and unsportingly say something to you like, “Hey man, where was that call the first time?” now you can serve some tea and administer a run-of-the-mill false double foul without anyone wondering what you’re doing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Thu Dec 26, 2019 at 10:22pm.