The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Foul by Shooter After Returning to the Floor (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104859-foul-shooter-after-returning-floor.html)

rekent Tue Dec 17, 2019 01:05am

Foul by Shooter After Returning to the Floor

Had a disagreement among a crew regarding the following play under NFHS rules. Would appreciate any input.

A1 drives down the middle of the lane and shoots a floater, returning to the floor and ending airborne shooter protections before A1's momentum causes A1 to run through B1 who has at all times maintained LGP in the path of A1. A1 illegally contacts B1: 1) prior to the ball passing through the basket; or 2) after the ball has passed through the basket. What is the call?

Crew decided (2-1) that in A) basket counts and A1 is assessed a common foul for an illegal push. Team B is awarded the ball at POI, which is an end-line running throw-in. In B) basket counts and no foul because the contact is neither intentional nor flagrant and was not committed on/by an airborne shooter.

Crew agreed unanimously on B), but on A) the contrary opinion was that because A1 was the shooter, the basket had to be canceled as with an airborne shooter PC foul.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Dec 17, 2019 01:10am

Quote:

Originally Posted by rekent (Post 1036066)
Had a disagreement among a crew regarding the following play under NFHS rules. Would appreciate any input.

A1 drives down the middle of the lane and shoots a floater, returning to the floor and ending airborne shooter protections before A1's momentum causes A1 to run through B1 who has at all times maintained LGP in the path of A1. A1 illegally contacts B1: 1) prior to the ball passing through the basket; or 2) after the ball has passed through the basket. What is the call?

Crew decided (2-1) that in A) basket counts and A1 is assessed a common foul for an illegal push. Team B is awarded the ball at POI, which is an end-line running throw-in. In B) basket counts and no foul because the contact is neither intentional nor flagrant and was not committed on/by an airborne shooter.

Crew agreed unanimously on B), but on A) the contrary opinion was that because A1 was the shooter, the basket had to be canceled as with an airborne shooter PC foul.

A) The Crew decided correctly. And I hope that Team B was awarded the Ball for a Throw-in because Team B was not in the Bonus because while this PF was a CF it was not a TCF because neither Team had Control of the Ball.

B) Give all three members of the Crew a good Cuban cigar.

MTD, Sr.

rekent Tue Dec 17, 2019 01:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1036067)
A) And I hope that Team B was awarded the Ball for a Throw-in because Team B was not in the Bonus because while this PF was a CF it was not a TCF because neither Team had Control of the Ball.

Correct, it was foul #4.

Nevadaref Tue Dec 17, 2019 02:17am

Quote:

The crew decisions are correct on both A and B. I’m curious why the one crew member wishes to cancel the goal when the foul is not a player control foul.

Camron Rust Tue Dec 17, 2019 02:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1036071)
The crew decisions are correct on both A and B. I’m curious why the one crew member wishes to cancel the goal when the foul is not a player control foul.

Agree. Once A1 lands, A1 is a rebounder like A2 to A5.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Dec 17, 2019 02:56am

I’m the second paragraph of the original post, all I see are situations 1 and 2. So why all the responses cor situation A and B, including by the original poster in his next paragraph??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camron Rust Tue Dec 17, 2019 03:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes (Post 1036073)
I’m the second paragraph of the original post, all I see are situations 1 and 2. So why all the responses cor situation A and B, including by the original poster in his next paragraph??

Because the OP mixed the enumerations. Gotta pick one or the other. Since his conclusions were based on A and B, it makes sense to follow that when discussing the conclusions.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Dec 17, 2019 03:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1036074)
Because the OP mixed the enumerations. Gotta pick one or the other. Since his conclusions were based on A and B, it makes sense to follow that when discussing the conclusions.

Except that he’s not even referring to his on situations himself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bob jenkins Tue Dec 17, 2019 07:16am

Quote:

Crew decided (2-1) that in A) basket counts and A1 is assessed a common foul for an illegal push. Team B is awarded the ball at POI, which is an end-line running throw-in.

I think that part is incorrect -- at least the nomenclature.

Altor Tue Dec 17, 2019 08:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1036076)
I think that part is incorrect -- at least the nomenclature.

Was going to post the same thing. Team B gets the penalty for the common foul. That may be foul shots if Team A is in the bonus. Since the OP later clarified that it was only team foul #4, Team B gets the ball at the spot closest to the foul.

Next question...do they get to run the endline if that spot is on the endline?

Raymond Tue Dec 17, 2019 08:30am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1036072)
Agree. Once A1 lands, A1 is a rebounder like A2 to A5.

That's a great way to simplify the play to come up with the correct ruling.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond Tue Dec 17, 2019 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1036078)
Was going to post the same thing. Team B gets the penalty for the common foul. That may be foul shots if Team A is in the bonus. Since the OP later clarified that it was only team foul #4, Team B gets the ball at the spot closest to the foul.

Next question...do they get to run the endline if that spot is on the endline?

Yes. If the foul were intentional, then it would be a designated spot throw-in on the end line.

Valley Man Tue Dec 17, 2019 09:42am

In B scenario 2) after the ball has passed through the basket

The ball is now dead so the contact is a technical correct?

Raymond Tue Dec 17, 2019 09:56am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valley Man (Post 1036082)
In B scenario 2) after the ball has passed through the basket

The ball is now dead so the contact is a technical correct?

If deemed intentional or flagrant, then that would be correct.

Scrapper1 Tue Dec 17, 2019 03:07pm

Quote:

My only nit-pick here is that the throw-in is not technically a POI throw-in. POI is used in very specific situations (double fouls, simultaneous fouls, correctable errors, interrupted game, inadvertent whistles) and this isn't one of those situations.

The throw-in is the result of A1's foul, if and only if, Team B is not in the bonus.

The ruling is correct, as everybody else has stated. I just wanted to point out that this situation doesn't fit the Rule 4 definition of "Point of Interruption".