Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by me, Chuck Elias
That's my role as Mr. Spelling Guy. Or am I Mr. Grammar Guy?
Or Mr. Annoying Guy?
Oooooh, I'm sorry, no. We were looking for "Mr. Typoo". Yes, Mr. Typoo. But thank you for playing. JR, tell him what he's won!
The grand prize is a week in the U.P. with mick.

Second prize is two weeks in the U.P. with mick!
Ouch !! That'll leave a marque!
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 08:45pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Hawks Coach
Quote:
Originally posted by Indy_Ref
Just like talking to a coach...often times it's not what you say, but how you say it.
Or from my perspective, like a coach talking to a ref - sometimes it's not the idea you are trying to convey, but the words you use to convey it!
Or the body language!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 05:46am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Ouch !! That'll leave a marque!
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 06:26am
Huck Finn

Talking

OK. I can see where my original post could come across wrong. That is my fault. But, I look at several posts where people have some good questions and/or comments and it turns into a group or clique jumping on them. I'm not even talking about me and my post. If someone says I should have used different words in my post I can accept that.
Someone mentioned the things you say to a coach. This is similar, if someone says something to you it can't always be followed with a smart comment. Sometimes we have to just admit we kicked it. I can do that in a game and on this forum too.

I will lighten up now. If you only knew, you would probably want me to be more serious.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
OK. I can see where my original post could come across wrong. That is my fault. But, I look at several posts where people have some good questions and/or comments and it turns into a group or clique jumping on them.

Tom,
Like it was stated before.. most of the "jumping on" is just good natured ribbing.
Most take serious time to answer, and are dedicated to help give opinions/answers to any and all questions.
Sometimes the board keeps things stirred up a little to keep a lively discussion going, and to bring out all different points of view.
That's how we all learn, isn't it?

Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I know those involved don't know me but I'm a good referee and I'm very passionate about doing this the right way.
I have met you and I can testify to the board that this guy is a quality official who cares.
BTW, the reason for the successive TO prohibition is to prevent a coach from burning all of his TOs in an attempt to ice a free-thrower who was fouled while attempting a buzzer beater. In the appropriate situation, a coach might figure, what the heck, if he makes the free throw we lose the game, and I can't take the TOs home with me, so I might as well use them. So we would end up standing around for five minutes blowing a horn. Just silly.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 08:33am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

I have met you and I can testify to the board that this guy is a quality official who cares.

But you didn't meet him in Nevada, didja?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

For detail's sake, it's 5-12-3

I take it you all take it that 'successive' can mean one team calling a time out after it has taken one or the opponents calling it . . . it doesn't say it doesn't mean this . . . so . . .
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 07:39pm
Official Forum Member

Re: For detail's sake, it's 5-12-3

Quote:
Originally posted by JeffTheRef
I take it you all take it that 'successive' can mean one team calling a time out after it has taken one or the opponents calling it . . . it doesn't say it doesn't mean this . . . so . . .
Yes, 'successive' means one time out right after another no matter who's requesting it. Only 1 allowed after time expires in the 4th Q or OT.
Old Fri Oct 24, 2003, 06:29am
Huck Finn

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref

But you didn't meet him in Nevada, didja?
Yes, we met at state in Reno.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 07:43am
Huck Finn

My stance on this rule was changed by the members of this board and I need some help now. The rule says a timeout cannot be called after the 4th quarter or any extra period. I was told that this means during any extra period instead of after any extra period. The word after should be used with extra period to me. After the extra period is the only thing that really passes the common sense test.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging the board over this. I agree, but I need something concrete to present to others. I know there is something similar in the rule book but I just can't think of it. I did send an email to NFHS and I tried to make it right down the middle so they didn't know which way I was leaning. I would appreciate it if someone can give me something from someplace in writing or a "it is the same as" reference. Thanks.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
Quote:
My stance on this rule was changed by the members of this board and I need some help now. The rule says a timeout cannot be called after the 4th quarter or any extra period. I was told that this means during any extra period instead of after any extra period. The word after should be used with extra period to me. After the extra period is the only thing that really passes the common sense test.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not challenging the board over this. I agree, but I need something concrete to present to others. I know there is something similar in the rule book but I just can't think of it. I did send an email to NFHS and I tried to make it right down the middle so they didn't know which way I was leaning. I would appreciate it if someone can give me something from someplace in writing or a "it is the same as" reference. Thanks.
Read 5.12.3 and 5.12.4 in this year's casebook. It may or may not be more clear than the rulebook...even though some of the same wording is used.
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 11:05am
Huck Finn

I do not have a current case book. I know what you are thinking. Is there someplace I can get it on line?
Old Tue Oct 28, 2003, 11:17am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
I do not have a current case book. I know what you are thinking. Is there someplace I can get it on line?
tomegun,
E-mail me.
I'll scan and e-mail the page to you.

mick

[email protected]
Old Thu Oct 30, 2003, 06:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree, but I need something concrete to present to others.
These others wouldn't be the same guys who are making you sit through their rookie rules class!?!