Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 01:54pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Wish It Was Clearer ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
It's neither clear nor simple.
Agree. 3.5 SITUATION A was somewhat helpful, but it's no longer in the casebook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
3.5 SITUATION A: What are the standards which the referee must use in determining whether a team member will be permitted to wear certain equipment? RULING: … There are three criteria which determine the legality of equipment. First, any equipment which, in the judgment of the referee, is dangerous to others … It will be noted that the listing of equipment which is always illegal is not inclusive. It cannot identify every item which is not permitted. The generalization is required since the referee’s judgment is necessary. The second standard provides that “any equipment which is unnatural and designed to increase the player’s height or vertical reach, or to gain a competitive advantage, shall not be used.” The referee is given no leeway here and judgment is not required. The third criterion provides that equipment used must be appropriate for basketball and not be confusing.
Let's move away from casebook plays and stick with the rules.

2-2: The officials’ jurisdiction, prior to the game, begins when they
arrive on the floor. The officials’ arrival on the floor shall be at least 15
minutes before the scheduled starting time of the game.

3-5-1: The referee shall not permit any team member to wear
equipment or apparel which, in his/her judgment, is dangerous or confusing
to other players or is not appropriate.

3-6-7: The referee shall not permit any team member to participate if in his/her
judgment any item constitutes a safety concern, such as, but not limited to, a
player’s fingernails or hairstyle.

Somewhat subjective ("judgment") and are not specific to the game or pregame ("participate").

How about "team member" rather than "player"?

4-34-4: A team member is a member of bench personnel who is in
uniform and is eligible to become a player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 02:21pm.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 02:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And/Or ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I had a coach come out onto the court to help a player last night that might have been injured ...
2011-12 NFHS Basketball Rules 3-3-6: A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or
any other bench personnel is beckoned and/or comes onto the court shall be
directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted
to, his/her teamand the situation can be corrected by the end of the time-out.

2019-20 NFHS Basketball Rules 3-3-6: A player who has been injured to the extent that the coach or
any other bench personnel is beckoned and comes onto the court shall be
directed to leave the game, unless a time-out is requested by, and granted
to, his/her team and the situation can be corrected by the end of the timeout.

Why the unannounced change?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 02:22pm.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Id imagine it would be so that if an official was a bit jumpy and beckoned a coach for a player that didn't need attention you don't make a player come out unnecessarily.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 02:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Overly Cautious Official ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Id imagine it would be so that if an official was a bit jumpy and beckoned a coach for a player that didn't need attention you don't make a player come out unnecessarily.
Good point.

Previous to the unannounced change, by rule, if an overly cautious official beckoned a coach, who didn't come onto the court, and the player was immediately ready to play, the team would be charged with a timeout or have to replace the player.

Again, by rule, not by practice, hopefully the official was not both overly cautious and overly officious.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 03:01pm.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 02:58pm
Esteemed Forum Member

There's No Judge In Judgment ...

Quote:
Let's move away from casebook plays and stick with the rules.
Now let's combine the rules:

During the officials’ jurisdiction (when they arrive on the floor) the referee shall not permit any team member (bench personnel in uniform and eligible to become players) to participate with equipment which, in his judgment, is dangerous (constitutes a safety concern) to other players (which can include teammates), or is not appropriate for basketball (not needed to play the game).

If equipment, like headphones, is judged to be a safety concern, or not appropriate for basketball, during the game, why would it be not be judged the same before the game?

I wish it were clearer, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Dec 05, 2019 at 11:47am.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point.

Previous to the unannounced change, by rule, if an overly cautious official beckoned a coach, who didn't come onto the court, and the player was immediately ready to play, the team could be charged with a timeout or have to replace the player (again, by rule, not by practice).
But now, by a literal reading, if the coach comes out but is not beckoned, the conditions are not met to remove the player.
Old Wed Dec 04, 2019, 03:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Plot Thickens ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But now, by a literal reading, if the coach comes out but is not beckoned, the conditions are not met to remove the player.
Another good point.

It's not a NFHS rule, or interpretation, but we've been told locally that in the case of player going down, if we see the coach coming, we're to start beckoning.

If questioned by the opposing coach, we're to say, "He was beckoned".

In the case of a possible injury, we want the coach out there, and don't want him hesitating because he's afraid of a technical foul.

That would not be a good look for us since one reason why we're out there is for player safety.

10-5-2: Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: Enter the court unless by permission of an official to attend an injured player.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Dec 04, 2019 at 03:21pm.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Man View Post
I know they are not basketball equipment and we have discussed that shooter shirts and pants are not either. Anyone got ruling on this for warmups and what rule to use to enforce it other than you can't?
See cases 3.5 Sit A and B and 3.5.3 Sit A. Illegal stuff in warm-ups is addressed immediately. For AirPods, you would want to nip that in the "ear"bud

Last edited by bucky; Sun Dec 08, 2019 at 01:17am.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Another good point.

It's not a NFHS rule, or interpretation, but we've been told locally that in the case of player going down, if we see the coach coming, we're to start beckoning.

If questioned by the opposing coach, we're to say, "He was beckoned".

In the case of a possible injury, we want the coach out there, and don't want him hesitating because he's afraid of a technical foul.

That would not be a good look for us since one reason why we're out there is for player safety.

10-5-2: Bench personnel, including the head coach, shall not: Enter the court unless by permission of an official to attend an injured player.
See case 3.3.6 Sit B. If coach rushes onto court without being beckoned, player, even if OK, still has to leave game.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 01:09am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
I suspect AremRed was talking about during warm-ups, not during a game.
Correct!
Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 08:00am
Esteemed Forum Member

Opposites ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
See case 3.3.6 Sit B. If coach rushes onto court without being beckoned, player, even if OK, still has to leave game.
Agree (I don't think that I stated otherwise), however with the unannounced rule change the opposite is no longer true (by rule if not by practice), if the coach was beckoned and didn't come out the rulebook (before the unannounced rule change) stated that the player would still have to come out, or sit a tick, due to the word "or" in the old rule.

My quote in bucky's post was in regard to technical fouls in such situations.

Old Sun Dec 08, 2019, 11:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
3.3.6 SITUATION B: A1 appears to be injured and an official properly halts play and the Team A coach rushes onto the court to check A1. However, A1 is OK and seems ready to play within a few seconds. RULING: A1 must be removed as the coach came onto the court. A1 may remain in the game if the coach does not come on the court and A1 is ready to play immediately. If the coach or other bench personnel have come onto the court, the player must be replaced. There is no set amount of time as to what is “immediately,” but it should not involve more than a few seconds and it must be without the coach, athletic trainer or doctor being beckoned and/or entering the court. The coach may also request a time-out to keep the player in the game provided the replacement interval for the substitution has not begun. (10-4-2)

Note that the situation does not say that the coach is beckoned.

Old Mon Dec 09, 2019, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Random Question- Would bench personnel be allowed to wear headphones? I was at a NFHS game where the assistant coach had headphones in, is that permissible?
Old Mon Dec 09, 2019, 11:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Bench Personnel ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bos8 View Post
Random Question- Would bench personnel be allowed to wear headphones? I was at a NFHS game where the assistant coach had headphones in, is that permissible?
Interesting question. Many of us allow kids with jewelry (a safety concern) to sit on the bench, why not headphones (also a safety concern)?

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 09, 2019 at 11:26am.
Old Mon Dec 09, 2019, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Coach I am going to have to tell you to take your air pods out of your ears while sitting on the bench watching the game..Coach responds with and WHY? I believe them to be a big time danger to you as i do not want you to contract tinnitus. It is for your own good.