The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Inadvertent Whistle (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104810-inadvertent-whistle.html)

Zoochy Mon Nov 18, 2019 03:33pm

Inadvertent Whistle

I asked a question to an IAABO Interpreter. I did mention this is a NFHS play.
Question: A1 has the ball for a Throw-in. B1 tips the throw-in ball. As the ball crosses the division line and Before anyone establish player control, the official blow an inadvertent whistle. Possession arrow points to Team B.

Who gets the ball and where is the throw-in?
------------------
Here is his reply:
Response: The ruling on this play would be a throw-in awarded to Team A at the spot closest to where the ball was when the inadvertent whistle was blown. Per rule 2-12-2.d there is team control when a player of a team has disposal of the ball for a throw-in. Rule 4-12-3 states that team control continues until the ball is in flight during a try or a tap for goal, an opponent secures control or the ball becomes dead. On this play, Team A has control and despite the fact the throw-in ended (Rule 4-42-5) team control did not end because none of the conditions in 4-12-3 were met. When an official blows an inadvertent whistle and there is team control, the ball is awarded to the team in control for a throw-in at the spot closest to where the ball was when it became dead. (7-4-4). The throw-in spot will be where the ball was last touched before the it became dead. (7-5-3). See casebook play, 4.19.7 Situation D for a similar type play involving a deflection on a throw-in.

I did reply and referenced the 2017-2018 Rule Book Point of Emphasis for team control. He re replied and did not change his ruling. I was thinking the response would be different. HELP

Nevadaref Mon Nov 18, 2019 04:10pm

If we accept that the NFHS rule change that created team control for throw-ins was only for the purpose of dealing with fouls, then the ruling on this play should be as it would have been prior to that rule change and when no team control existed for a throw-in.

That would mean using the AP arrow and awarding the ball to Team B at the nearest out of bounds spot to the location of the ball when the whistle sounded.

sdoebler Mon Nov 18, 2019 04:17pm

I asked Dave Smith from IAABO this exact same answer and he said ball goes to team A. There is team control on a throw-in and the points of emphasis from 17-18 do not override team control in this situation.

Freddy Mon Nov 18, 2019 04:36pm

Like Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara shining the Bat Signal into the clouds above Gotham City, we await the arrival of Billy "IAABO" Mac to deliver a dose of clarity to these reported IAABO "Team Control During the Throw-In" Interpretations.

BillyMac Mon Nov 18, 2019 04:40pm

Let's Go To The Videotape ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddy (Post 1035392)
Like Commissioner Gordon and Chief O'Hara shining the Bat Signal into the clouds above Gotham City, we await the arrival of Billy "IAABO" Mac to deliver a dose of clarity to these reported IAABO "Team Control During the Throw-In" Interpretations.

Basketball Points of Emphasis - 2017-18

2. Team control, throw-in. The relevance of team control during a throw-in only applies when a member of the throw- in team fouls. Such fouls shall be ruled team control fouls. Team control during a throw-in is NOT intended to be the same as player control/team control inbounds. Team control inbounds is established when a player from either team who has inbound status gains control of the ball. During the throw-in, 10-seconds, 3-seconds, frontcourt status, backcourt status, closely guarded, etc., are NOT factors as there has yet to be player control/team control obtained inbounds.

Cue the Benny Hill theme song (Yakety Sax).

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.C...=0&w=242&h=171

Zoochy Mon Nov 18, 2019 04:40pm

Is Dave Smith a College official?
I agree it is a AP throw-in. As for POI. Look at case 7.5.3

sdoebler Mon Nov 18, 2019 04:43pm

He was the IAABO president at one point and is our national representative on the rules committee.

ilyazhito Mon Nov 18, 2019 08:22pm

NFHS, change the rule on team control on throw-ins so it is consistent for all situations. I don't want to see nonsense where fouls by the throw-in team are team control fouls, but the situation described is administered by the AP arrow (when a team clearly had control before the inadvertent whistle), and where the 10-second count does not start when the ball is touched, although team control has not changed since the ball was placed at Team A's disposal for the throw-in. For that and the irrelevant and incorrect test questions, C'mon, man!

BigCat Mon Nov 18, 2019 09:32pm

Team control during a throwin and until the ball is possessed by a player is for foul purposes only as Nevada and Billy’s post point out. It is only there to avoid shooting free throws when throw in team fouls....Your interpreter should know better. The team control definition should be rewritten.

Go to arrow in this play cause no team in control INBOUNDS. Ball was tipped, not controlled. B’s ball nearest spot where ball located at time of inadvertent whistle.