The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 16, 2019, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I have 2 pairs of Nike Air Monarchs in all black. They look good and are comfortable. They aren't marketed as court shoes, but they are good as court shoes and as running shoes.
LOL! I work in the automotive industry...we attend a lot of shows that involve Corvettes....The Air Monarch is the official shoe of Corvette owners.
Old Sun Oct 20, 2019, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

If I was still doing basketball, I'd be wearing Brooks Glycerins or Hoka Bondis. I might even have both in my bag.

You guys are lucky that more running shoes are available in black these days. A decade and more ago, it was difficult to find. Not everyone necessarily needs them, but for those of us that do (neutral/supinators), running shoes are about all that work.
Old Sun Oct 20, 2019, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Just purchased the Asics Men's Gel Quantum 360. I have not worn them yet in a game, but they feel good and I have heard great things about them. They will be my college shoe for now. I have liked Asics in the past for normal shoes, so I know they feel good on my feet normally. Never saw a basketball shoe I felt worth wearing. We will see how they work out in a few weeks.

Peace
Does this shoe have a narrow toe box? That typically is the problem for me.
Old Wed Oct 23, 2019, 08:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefRich View Post
Not sure what you mean, but there seems to be plenty of room in the toe area. I used them last night for the first time and love them. Great shoe so far. They were really comfortable and it was the first time wearing them for a game.

Peace
Old Thu Oct 24, 2019, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

Fwiw

Since I don't wear them, I don't know about prices of these shoes generally, but Officially Sports currently has the Asics Gel Quantum 90 and the Asics Jolt 2 on sale:

https://officiallysports.com//index....78&page=detail
https://officiallysports.com//index....76&page=detail
Old Fri Oct 25, 2019, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Not sure what you mean, but there seems to be plenty of room in the toe area. I used them last night for the first time and love them. Great shoe so far. They were really comfortable and it was the first time wearing them for a game.

Peace
I purchase a lot of running shoes and many reference the toe box in the shoe. This is just as you assume, the fore part of the foot, including the toes. I have a pretty narrow foot from the front of the arch back but my fore foot is wider. Nike, Brooks and Hoka tend to be more narrow in this area.

Thanks for your initial review.
Old Fri Oct 25, 2019, 11:19am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I purchase a lot of running shoes and many reference the toe box in the shoe. This is just as you assume, the fore part of the foot, including the toes. I have a pretty narrow foot from the front of the arch back but my fore foot is wider. Nike, Brooks and Hoka tend to be more narrow in this area.

Thanks for your initial review.
I hear what you are saying. That area on my Nike Flynits is rather narrow. If there is anything I do not like about that shoe is how narrow that part of the shoe is, otherwise a very good shoe. I had to do a lot to make sure that the area was not tight. The Asics shoe is so much better in that area. And right now this is the main college shoe that I will be using this season. I might use them for all my games, but I will see and determine that for sure later.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

One thing I forgot to mention earlier is to look into 3rd party insoles. Not necessarily custom ones but Super Feet and Sole (the ones I wear) make quality products. And they last a LONG time (many times longer than a single pair of shoes. The insoles that come with the shoes are marginal and don't support your feet very well.

There's a good chance that if you don't like your shoes as much as you thought you would, it isn't a shoe issue -- it is an insole issue. In my case, my arches are so high, you can drive a truck under them. Had I been alive when they built it, they would have modeled the St. Louis arch after one of mine. The problem I had for years without knowing it was that when I ran, my feet moved a lot in the shoe causing callouses and blisters because there wasn't enough arch support in the shoe. Insoles solved about 90 percent of those problems. Many (including me before I got them) think insoles provide cushioning, but they don't, at least not very much. Mine are actually very rigid and I don't miss the cushioning. Good insoles provide support while the shoe provides the cushioning. Just get the right ones -- it may be a trial and error thing.
Old Mon Oct 28, 2019, 01:39pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
One thing I forgot to mention earlier is to look into 3rd party insoles. Not necessarily custom ones but Super Feet and Sole (the ones I wear) make quality products. And they last a LONG time (many times longer than a single pair of shoes. The insoles that come with the shoes are marginal and don't support your feet very well.

There's a good chance that if you don't like your shoes as much as you thought you would, it isn't a shoe issue -- it is an insole issue. In my case, my arches are so high, you can drive a truck under them. Had I been alive when they built it, they would have modeled the St. Louis arch after one of mine. The problem I had for years without knowing it was that when I ran, my feet moved a lot in the shoe causing callouses and blisters because there wasn't enough arch support in the shoe. Insoles solved about 90 percent of those problems. Many (including me before I got them) think insoles provide cushioning, but they don't, at least not very much. Mine are actually very rigid and I don't miss the cushioning. Good insoles provide support while the shoe provides the cushioning. Just get the right ones -- it may be a trial and error thing.
This is a great point. I did have to change the insoles on my Nike AirMax FlyNits that I loved. That is when I fell in love with that shoe. I also wear a harder orthotic as well because of my lack of arch or not as good of an arch or I have pain if I go some time without the proper support.

In my current shoe that I just bought, I did not need to change the insole. But you are so right that the insole often is not good in many shoes and needs to be replaced.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 03, 2019, 11:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I have a pair of the Quantum 360s that I wore last year. I have narrow feet, so it doesn't affect me, but I do think the toe box is more narrow. The GT1000, Kayano, and Nimbus 21s are all wider in the toe box it seems.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2019, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post

I had plantar fascia issue 2-3 seasons ago...tried everything. Found an insert made by Protalus that worked wonders for the PF and cleared it up. I still use them to this day and they are very comfy.....for those that are looking for inserts, this might be a good option.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2019, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I just wanna day that Zappos kicks ass when it comes to shipping. I was admiring the shoes of a fellow official at a jamboree on Saturday. Went home afterward and decided to order a pair of same shoes. Found them on Zappos for 30% off and it also said free shipping.

Now, living in Alaska my whole life, I’ve learned that rarely does free shipping apply in Alaska. There’s usually some fine print excluding us and Hawaii. And also, originally quoted shipping times are correct. This order, placed on Saturday afternoon around 4 pm in Alaska, gave an estimated delivery of Tuesday, Nov 5.

So anyhow, I placed my order, got the confirmation email, and figured my shoes will be here in a week or so.

I decided a few minutes ago to look up the order to see if it had even been shipped yet and see if there was an updated estimated arrival. I saw in my email from Sunday a shipping confirmation that I had overlooked until now. Clicked the shipping link, and not only was it still showing estimated delivery for today, all the tracking info is in there showing the journey from Kentucky to Seattle, Anchorage, and now my little town of Soldotna, Alaska. It hit the post office here just after 3 AM today and has 2 OUT FOR DELIVERY scans on it since then. It’s likely in the carriers vehicle as we speak, and with any kind of luck, they may arrive before I leave in 2 hours to go work a couple middle school games this afternoon.

GOOD JOB ZAPPOS!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 05, 2019, 05:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Seward's Folly ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
... living in Alaska my whole life, I’ve learned that rarely does free shipping apply in Alaska.
That's because Alaska is a territory, not a state.

Alaska isn't even "attached" to the real forty-six states.

And Arizona and New Mexico aren't real states either, they're Indian Territories, and New Mexico is actually a northern state of Mexico.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Nov 06, 2019, 12:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
I just wanna day that Zappos kicks ass when it comes to shipping. I was admiring the shoes of a fellow official at a jamboree on Saturday. Went home afterward and decided to order a pair of same shoes. Found them on Zappos for 30% off and it also said free shipping.

Now, living in Alaska my whole life, I’ve learned that rarely does free shipping apply in Alaska. There’s usually some fine print excluding us and Hawaii. And also, originally quoted shipping times are correct. This order, placed on Saturday afternoon around 4 pm in Alaska, gave an estimated delivery of Tuesday, Nov 5.

So anyhow, I placed my order, got the confirmation email, and figured my shoes will be here in a week or so.

I decided a few minutes ago to look up the order to see if it had even been shipped yet and see if there was an updated estimated arrival. I saw in my email from Sunday a shipping confirmation that I had overlooked until now. Clicked the shipping link, and not only was it still showing estimated delivery for today, all the tracking info is in there showing the journey from Kentucky to Seattle, Anchorage, and now my little town of Soldotna, Alaska. It hit the post office here just after 3 AM today and has 2 OUT FOR DELIVERY scans on it since then. It’s likely in the carriers vehicle as we speak, and with any kind of luck, they may arrive before I leave in 2 hours to go work a couple middle school games this afternoon.

GOOD JOB ZAPPOS!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Zappos is top notch. My wife bought some Birkenstock sandals on there a few years ago. After a few months they developed a small tear in the strap on the top, but hardly noticeable. We called them and they not only refunded us but told us to keep the sandals.