The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   2019-20 NCAA-M Change: Contact Dead Ball T's (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104713-2019-20-ncaa-m-change-contact-dead-ball-ts.html)

SC Official Wed Sep 11, 2019 01:26pm

2019-20 NCAA-M Change: Contact Dead Ball T's

I am getting back into college ball this year and I just want to confirm I am correct.

A single CDBTF still results in the offended team getting the ball (it is not POI). However, the throw-in spot is now determined using the lines of demarcation if it occurred in the offended team's frontcourt, and the nearest spot if it occurred in the offended team's backcourt.

-B1 deflects ball OOB in Team A's FC. CDBTF is charged to B2 in A's FC. Team A gets the ball at one of the four demarcation spots. Shot clock resets to 20 or stays if greater.

-B1 deflects ball OOB in Team A's FC. CDBTF is charged to A2 in A's FC. Team B gets the ball nearest where the CDBTF occurred.

-B1 deflects ball OOB in Team A's BC. CDBTF is charged to B2 in A's BC. Team A gets the ball nearest where the CDBTF occurred. Shot clock resets to 30.

-B1 deflects ball OOB in Team A's BC. CDBTF is charged to B2 in A's FC. Team A gets the ball at one of the four demarcation spots. Shot clock stays (wouldn't go to 20 as that would mean Team A committed a 10-second violation).

The CDBTF supersedes any live-ball events for the purposes of determining the throw-in spot and the time on the shot clock.

Am I correct in all this?

Raymond Wed Sep 11, 2019 01:49pm

I far as I know, that seems correct, but I haven't really dug into the books yet this year.

Working for BF?

JRutledge Wed Sep 11, 2019 04:00pm

Maybe I am slower than most, but I do not know what the CDBTF is, but every dead ball goes to one of the Demarcation Marks unless it is an out of bounds violation. That means all fouls or violations go there unless otherwise stated and now they pretty much all are clear they are going to one of those markers.

Peace

Camron Rust Wed Sep 11, 2019 08:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1034335)
...but I do not know what the CDBTF is...

Contact Dead Ball Technical Foul.

ilyazhito Thu Sep 12, 2019 01:24am

Quote:

Maybe I am slower than most, but I do not know what the CDBTF is, but every dead ball goes to one of the Demarcation Marks unless it is an out of bounds violation. That means all fouls or violations go there unless otherwise stated and now they pretty much all are clear they are going to one of those markers.

Peace

Contact Dead Ball Technical Foul. The exceptions also include dead balls resulting in a score awarded (basket interference/goaltending by B), dead balls after an awarded score, when B will have possession with the right to run the Emeline on the throw-in, and fouls resulting in Point of Interruption resumption of play (most technical fouls).

SC Official Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1034332)
I far as I know, that seems correct, but I haven't really dug into the books yet this year.

Working for BF?

I am not. Relocated to Georgia (haven't changed my username yet, not sure I will). Unfortunately his closest school to me is not feasible otherwise I would; we're still on good terms.

Best of luck in his league this season. He's a good one to work for, if you're on his good side. :)

SC Official Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:04am

Quote:

Maybe I am slower than most, but I do not know what the CDBTF is...

You must be. Thought that would be pretty obvious given the title of the thread. ;)

Raymond Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:05am

Quote:

Peace

That only applies to the front court. If the throw-in occurs in the backcourt, it will go to the spot closest to the foul.

We actually discussed this last night in our weekly rules review meeting.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1034349)
I am not. Relocated to Georgia (haven't changed my username yet, not sure I will). Unfortunately his closest school to me is not feasible otherwise I would; we're still on good terms.

Best of luck in his league this season. He's a good one to work for, if you're on his good side. :)

If he doesn't stay on my good side, he won't have to worry about giving me games. He only has two schools a reasonable distance from me. I'm not going to be jumping through hoops for him. ;)

Back on topic. We got into a discussion last night about pre-game F2s and contact dead-ball technicals. I stated that I don't think there's any front or back court status during intermissions or pre game, so a throw in to start the game or half or overtime would be at the division line.

JRutledge Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1034351)
That only applies to the front court. If the throw-in occurs in the backcourt, it will go to the spot closest to the foul.

We actually discussed this last night in our weekly rules review meeting.

I am only talking about fouls or violations by the offense in their backcourt (turnover) that those spots are put in at the demarcation spots. All out of bounds violations (throwing the ball away or causing the ball to go out of bounds) go to the closest spot. If it is a foul on the defense in the backcourt and we stay in the backcourt, then it goes to the spot of the foul. But that was a bone of contention last year because that was not clear to everyone or very well stated IMO in the rulebook. The CCA Manual has a better description on page 89 that was not there last year I believe.

Peace

Raymond Thu Sep 12, 2019 08:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1034353)
We have been always told that fouls and violations go the spot of demarcations too in the backcourt. As a matter of fact, I believe that is what it says in the mechanics book. I will look at this again to be sure.

Peace

That's only if the opposing team would then have a frontcourt throw-in. I don't have the references available at the moment.

ilyazhito Thu Sep 12, 2019 03:02pm

Backcourt throw-ins by A do not use the line of demarcation. If B was in its (B's) backcourt when it fouled or violated, then the subsequent throw-in would follow the line of demarcation.
The caveat would be if A scored, B was awarded a throw-in with the right to run the endline, and A commits a contact dead ball technical foul (or other violation or foul while the ball is dead), then B gets to attempt the free throws AND throw the ball in from their endline, still with the right to run the endline. The right to run the endline remains unless the new team on defense does something stupid after the throw-in ends (fouling the player who receives the throw-in).

SC Official Mon Sep 30, 2019 09:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1034352)
Back on topic. We got into a discussion last night about pre-game F2s and contact dead-ball technicals. I stated that I don't think there's any front or back court status during intermissions or pre game, so a throw in to start the game or half or overtime would be at the division line.

This comment popped into my mind this morning while perusing the Case Book while taking the NCAA-M test. Turns out your hunch was correct.

A.R. 126. Playing time has expired with the score tied, and:
1. A1 is assessed a CLASS A technical foul;
2. A1 is assessed a flagrant 2 technical foul; or
3. A1 is assessed a contact dead-ball technical foul.
RULING 1: The extra period shall start by awarding a player from Team B two free throws for the CLASS A technical foul that was assessed to A1. Play shall resume at the point of interruption, which would be a jump ball.
2: A1 shall be ejected and the extra period shall start by awarding a player from Team B two free throws for the flagrant 2 technical foul that was assessed to A1. Play shall resume with a throw-in for Team B at the division line on either side of the court. The alternating possession arrow shall be set towards Team A’s basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team B for the throw-in.
3: The extra period shall start by awarding a player from Team B two free throws for the contact dead-ball technical foul that was assessed to A1. Play shall resume with a throw-in for Team B at the division line on either side of the court. The alternating-possession arrow shall be set towards Team A’s basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team B for the throw-in.
These fouls shall count toward the team foul count, disqualification and ejection. (Rule 5-7.6)

Raymond Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1034683)
This comment popped into my mind this morning while perusing the Case Book while taking the NCAA-M test. Turns out your hunch was correct.

A.R. 126. Playing time has expired with the score tied, and:
1. A1 is assessed a CLASS A technical foul;
2. A1 is assessed a flagrant 2 technical foul; or
3. A1 is assessed a contact dead-ball technical foul.
RULING 1: The extra period shall start by awarding a player from Team B two free throws for the CLASS A technical foul that was assessed to A1. Play shall resume at the point of interruption, which would be a jump ball.
2: A1 shall be ejected and the extra period shall start by awarding a player from Team B two free throws for the flagrant 2 technical foul that was assessed to A1. Play shall resume with a throw-in for Team B at the division line on either side of the court. The alternating possession arrow shall be set towards Team A’s basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team B for the throw-in.
3: The extra period shall start by awarding a player from Team B two free throws for the contact dead-ball technical foul that was assessed to A1. Play shall resume with a throw-in for Team B at the division line on either side of the court. The alternating-possession arrow shall be set towards Team A’s basket when the ball is placed at the disposal of Team B for the throw-in.
These fouls shall count toward the team foul count, disqualification and ejection. (Rule 5-7.6)

Thanks for that.