The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

I hate to bring this up again, but what is everyone wearing out there? I am through with my run n' ref's, I am tired of my legs hurting after every game. I don't trust converse enough to get the whistles. I don't think the Reebok walker or the Easy Spirit walker will hold up. I can't find the New Balance 608 (no one wants to carry the black leather), but the white and blue one I tried on did seem very comfortable. Any other suggestions?? I have hear spot-bilt has one, but I really need to try shoes on before buying them, so mail order makes me leery.

And why won't Nike make an officials shoe??????
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I also don't trust Converse any longer. This summer I switched to New Balance 606. You can get them in Black Leather at Sports Authority.com. I couldn't find them at any stores and I searched them all. They are great shoes. I worked a lot of summer games this year and my legs never hurt.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

I called New Balance and they don't make the 606 any more, now you have to get the 608. It is supposed to be the same shoe but has more cushion.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 11:33am
Suppref

I was not a fan of the run n' ref either, but tried the mid Converse Whistles last year, I put the dr scholl's dyna something or other sport insoles in them, then proceeded to do approximately 140 games in them. I must say very comfortable and light enough that when I did 4 kiddie rec league games my feet and legs were only marginally tire. They also held up rather nicely. If you look at my posting under ""shoe shining" I list a place that showed us a shoe that was almost patent leather so it required no polishing. Not my choice but a phonecall to the distibutor can't hurt.

Have run - - Suppref
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson
I hate to bring this up again, but what is everyone wearing out there? I am through with my run n' ref's, I am tired of my legs hurting after every game. I don't trust converse enough to get the whistles. I don't think the Reebok walker or the Easy Spirit walker will hold up. I can't find the New Balance 608 (no one wants to carry the black leather), but the white and blue one I tried on did seem very comfortable. Any other suggestions?? I have hear spot-bilt has one, but I really need to try shoes on before buying them, so mail order makes me leery.

Nike does (or did -- I got mine last year) make a pair of cross trainers in all black.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2000, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
I believe they still do. At least they have an all black shoe. I had problems with shin splints with the Nike's so I am looking at the Converse for this year. I might go to New Balance after this chat though.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2000, 12:13am
Official Forum Member

You can contact me for the New Balance 608 in all black. They are great alone but with the Spenco insoles, they are unbelieveable! E-mail me and I will give you the information. You will love them I guarantee it!
Old Sat Nov 04, 2000, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
I've used the black Nike x-trainers, I loved them.
I got a pair of the NB 606 last spring and I
used them at camp this summer where I developed
a really bad achilles tendonitis problem. I blamed the
shoe but I'm willing to give them another shot this
season becasue I've worn NB for many years and I'm
giving them the benefit of the doubt. I also got a
pair of Whistles this summer for doing a tourney,
I haven't even tried them on yet. I just bought a
pair of NB white 608's this weekend & they are really
comfortable.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2000, 12:37am
In Memoriam

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
I just bought a
pair of NB white 608's this weekend & they are really
comfortable.
Gonna take up, or the net, you VB lookin'Ref.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2000, 12:47am
Official Forum Member

I can understand your distrust in Converse. But the Whistles are the best shoe Converse has ever made for officials. They are light, have the support of today's sneakers and polish nicely. After 56 varsity games last year, one of the heels cracked slightly in the sole. I sent them back to Converse and now have a new pair for this year. I plan to buy a second pair and swap them out.

Someone else mentioned the Spenco inserts. I couldn't agree more that they're great. They aren't the soft cushiony insoles that you buy at Wal*Mart. These are hard plastic with a cloth insole on top. They give your heel and arch support and are great for plantar fasciitis (heel & arch pain). I wear them everyday and during football and basketball games. They're $20 to $25 but they're worth every penny. Look for them in better drugstores, not CVS, Walgreen's, etc. I mean your local pharmacy that's been around for years. National chains carry the cheaper, softer insoles. These are the best.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 06:22am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

Quote:
As someone already mentioned, Nike DOES make an all black court show called the Airliner. I picked up a pair last year and although the shoe was comfortable to wear I really struggled with shin splints. I was willing to try them another season concluding that perhaps it was due to insufficient stretching on my part. Now I think I'll do the extra stretching AND buy a new pair of New Balance shoes. I sure don't want the leg pain again this year!!!

P.S. My wife thinks this discussion is not so much about shoes but about a bunch of guys getting old and just blaming their body pains on shoes! Ouch!

[Edited by Paul LeBoutillier on Nov 6th, 2000 at 05:44 AM]
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

I think my wife was starting to get a bit peeved in trying to find all black shoes. I thought I was in luck, I found out they opened a New Balance store in a local mall, but they didn't have the 608. I actually found a pair or 608's this at another store this weekend and walked a mile to break them in, and ran a mile and a half in them. They feel great and I had no pain, I'll keep you updated. I have used both Spenco and Sorbothane insoles, and the orange sorbothanes are the best money can buy. I usually get mine from The Finish Line or Galyans, and they really work.

Paul, I am only 26, and the pain started when I was 24 so I discredit her theory. If she is right, getting older is going to cost me a fortune in advil though. Plus, in summer leagues I used my non-conforming nike's and had no problem what so ever, and those games are harder than in-season games.

If the Nike's are airliners and not air, that would cause some shin splints. The airliners have no where near the same cushion. Nike sent me a list of shoes they say are popular with officials, yet I could not find them in any retail store, nor could I find them at two different outlet factory store locations. I think it is a bluff by Nike, but I think these 608's are going to work.

My wife threatened me she was going to buy another 5 or 6 pairs so that we never have to go through this again.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 12:50pm
Do not give a damn!!

For those of you that do not like Converse shoes, the company will be going out of business, because Nike, Addidas, and the other shoe companies have been kicking its but. They will not be around because the companies stock has fell threw the floor and losing profit. So if you want anymore Converse, this might be your last season to get them.
Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
J, Not according to this article.
http://www.converse.com/info/pr/pr10182000.html

Old Mon Nov 06, 2000, 06:06pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Oh sure!!

Quote:
Paul, I am only 26, and the pain started when I was 24 so I discredit her theory.
Oh sure, rub it in!! You were four years old when I got married!

Paul