The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 11:35am
Official Forum Member

Minnesota is going 3-person at the state level starting this year. They are leaving it up to individual sections for the levels below state, and leaving it up to schools for regular season. Most games are 2 during the regular season, with the exception of bigger metro area schools.

Thanks everybody for the replies. Here's a list of states that haven't been represented yet.

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado
Connecticut
Delaware
Hawaii
Idaho
Iowa
Louisiana
Maine
Montana
New Hampshire
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
Rhode Island
South Carolina
South Dakota
Tennessee
Vermont
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming

Thanks for the 23 states already responded

Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Ref42
Ok a subject near and dear to my heart!

In Maryland the public schools are broken into counties and each county makes the decision. As of right now there is no county in Maryland done completely 3 man, there may be some games in each done that way, but none entirely. So the gist of it is we are a 2-man state.

The playoffs which by the way is an "open playoff system", where by every team in the state makes the tnmt. is only 3-man at the Regional Semi-Final, Regional Final, and State Semi's and Finals.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 02:30pm
Official Forum Member

Here in central Ohio we do 3 person on all varsity games (men and women). Just recently we've been doing some jr. varsity games too.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2003, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Tim Roden
CO = Yes.

No I don't officiate there anymore but when I was there we were experiementing with the concept. This season it goes statewide.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 09:23am
If you need me, text me!

On the Eastern Shore of MD we work 2 person for all but holiday tournaments and once we get into states just as Ref42 says.

My board also covers the Eastern Shore of VA and it sounds like they are going to 3 person for all varsity contests this year. The funny thing is that they are all SMALL schools (single A of a 3 tier system).

While we don't cover DE I know that the southern half of DE is all 3 person for varsity.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Iowa is all 2 person as far as I know. Pay varies, varsity contests in the local 4A conference pay $60, if you work at one of the smaller schools you usually do a JV/Varsity double header and get paid anywhere from $75-$95 for the night. I haven't heard any talk about Iowa going to 3 person, although most of the conferences across the river in Illinois use 3 person for Varsity contests.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2003, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

A few of my best friends officiate in Iowa. In 90% of the state, they have 2-man. The conference with the largest schools, the CIML, including the major Des Moines schools, Mason City, Ames, etc., uses some 3-man crews. When my buddies work outside the conference, they remain a 3-man crew, even in conferences that hire mostly 2-man crews. It pays to be good.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2003, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I know it wasn't part of the original question, and I don't think it's been covered by any of the responses yet, but are there any states out there doing 3-person for boys and not for girls?

At the risk of sounding sexist (which it isn't intended to be), I'm of the mindset that although the grade level is the same, the need for 3-person games isn't the same for girls as it is for boys. Anybody else want to step out on that limb with me?
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 06:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tomegun
Nevada used to until this coming year. The reason for the steps backwards is a mix between budget and many coaches thought the 3rd official was just along for the ride. I have no comment on that.
Whoa! I hope that your info is not true. While I do know about the coaches' movement to revert to 2-man, last I heard, it failed. I will have to make some calls and see. My belief is that the North will do whatever the South does, since we tend to follow them like a lost, little puppy.

Latest report: South is definitely back to 2 for this coming season, North is still up in the air.

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 25th, 2003 at 01:54 AM]
Old Thu Oct 23, 2003, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Washington State

WA is 2 man for all schools and conferences...at least on the east side of the state.
Not sure about the Seattle area...west side of the Cascades.

About $50 a game Varsity plus travel.

RD