The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jun 15, 2019, 06:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwodar View Post
You’re right about the NBA, but the NBA rule also specifies this. This verbiage does not.
This is just a press release basically. I am going to wait for the actual rules and A.Rs for the idiosyncrasies of the rule before worrying about those things. I am going to assume this was likely well thought out as the NCAA will do a much better job than the NF for example. You do raise an interesting question or concern.

Peace
Old Fri Jun 21, 2019, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player989random View Post
Shirts: https://www.refereestore.com/shirts/
Jacket: https://www.refereestore.com/smitty-...eferee-jacket/

Well, you got the option of buying at $59.95 or $47.95 for the shirts, plus S&H. $50.95 for the jacket. Same price as the old one, or maybe they updated it so I wouldn't feel like I was getting bent over that hard.

This pisses me off. I could get some mesh NCAA shirts for $30. And I'm betting my D3 assignor who just sent this out is gonna require us all to get them.
Got both versions of the shirts the other day. The Performance Mesh Shirt is your basic polyester material with no "mini-holes" like a jersey. There is a cuff on the sleeve that wraps around the bicep for a snug fit.

The Body Flex Shirt has the "mini-holes" but without the cuff and the end of the sleeve. While the material is more "stretchy" than the Performance Mesh shirt, it is not that noticeable when wearing it.

Both shirts have very wide black side panels. That being said, I probably prefer the Body Flex Shirt because I don't like how the cuff on the Performance Mesh shirt makes the sleeve ride up my arm.
Old Fri Jun 21, 2019, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

I ordered the jacket and performance mesh shirts. I don't see a reason to pay the extra 10-12 dollars to buy Body Flex when the Performance Mesh product looks good and performs well.

I was speaking to a JUCO supervisor at a camp a few days ago, and he said that JUCO will be adopting the new uniforms for officials and the shot clock rule changes, but will be delaying the new 3 point line. With older scoreboards, it might be difficult to do the new shot clock rules, but with the newer scoreboard controllers using 2 reset values is reasonable. As long as the operator does not press the stop button while resetting the shot clock, the 20 seconds should run as soon as the operator releases the "Reset 2" button. There should be no programming issues either, because NCAAM and NCAAW now use the same shot clock reset values.
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
This new rule seems to have a least one hole...

Arrow to B. After a try by A1, A5 dunks the ball on a rebound/put-back. An official calls BI on the offense (A) and cancels the basket. Upon review, the BI is overturned. Since the BI call made the ball dead at the time of the suspected infraction, and there is no mention of now counting the goal doesn't seem to be counted.. B gets the ball due to the AP arrow. If the goal was to be counted, why would you go to the arrow?

That doesn't seem at all just. A loses the points and the ball or A gets the points and might get the ball (if they have the arrow).

While there was clearly a need for a change, I don't think this is quite right.

Similarly, it is not just for a defender grabbing a rebound that is called for BI and it isn't. The defender obtained possession. It shouldn't go to the arrow when there is immediate possession that was believed to be BI/GT.
I'm just a fan here, but I read these boards regularly in order to gain a better understanding of the rules.

I was sitting in the stands at a D1 game recently when basket interference was ruled on a dunk tip in. The officials went to the monitor, and I immediately remembered this thread in which there seemed to be a consensus that the bucket cannot count.

After a lengthy review, the referee stepped out in front of the scorer's table and gave the "no basket" signal. The ball was then given to the defense.
The arrow was in favor of the offense, but since the call stood, this was irrelevant.

While I obviously can't read the minds of the officials, the fact that the referee gave the "no basket" signal led me to believe that the basket would have counted if the call had been overturned. Has anybody heard if there is a provision for counting the basket? While I've never been on the floor, I personally think that by the time that the official sees what he believes is a touch while the ball is in the cylinder, processes that info, and blows his whistle, most of the time, the ball is already through the net, which would make the whistle irrelevant since it comes after the bucket. I believe that is what happened here because I did not hear the whistle until after I saw the ball go through the net (though I could have not heard it when it first sounded).

I was just wondering if there was a provision to count the basket. And, if so, does it have to be a situation where the whistle did not come until after the ball was through the net?
Old Wed Nov 27, 2019, 06:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

From the NCAA:

"Rule 11-2.1.e.3 now permits officials to use instant replay in the last 2 minutes of the second period or the last 2 minutes of any overtime period to determine if basket interference/goaltending has occurred. However, a review is only permitted after a call has been made on the floor. The following lay situations are intended to clarify the application of this rule:

1. BI/GT is called on the defense and the shot is unsuccessful. After review, the officials confirm that the call was correct. Ruling – Count the basket and award the ball to the defense along the end line.

2. BI/GT is called on the defense and the shot is successful. Ruling – No need to review. Count the basket and award possession to the defense.

3. BI/GT called on the defense and the shot is unsuccessful. After review, the officials determine that there has been no violation. Ruling – First determine if there was player possession when the official blew his whistle. Award the ball to the team in control. If there is no team control, use the alternating possession arrow.

4. BI is called on the offense. The basket is successful or unsuccessful. After review, the officials determine that the call was correct. Ruling – Disallow the basket and award possession to the defense.

5. BI is called on the offense. After review, the officials determine that the call was incorrect. Ruling – If the try was successful, count the basket and award possession to the defense. If the try was unsuccessful, determine if there was team possession at the time the official blew his whistle. If there was no team possession, use the alternating possession arrow.

6. BI is called on the defense. After review, the officials determine that BI should be called on the offense. Ruling - Officials may wipe off the defensive BI call and call the BI against the offense. The goal shall not count. Award possession to the defense.

7. BI is called on the offense. After revue, the officials determine that BI should be called on the defense. Ruling- Officials may wipe off the offensive BI call and call the BI against the defense. The goal shall count. Award possession to the defense.
"

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk