The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Final Four: Virginia v Auburn (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104521-final-four-virginia-v-auburn.html)

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 05:12pm

Final Four: Virginia v Auburn

Not a great start for Keith Kimble.
He misses an out of bounds call two seconds into the game!

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 05:25pm

14:05. Foul during a scramble. Did the foul occur in the FC or BC? Throw-in spot? Shot clock?

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 05:26pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032021)
Not a great start for Keith Kimble.
He misses an out of bounds call two seconds into the game!

What is the point of this post?

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 05:40pm

Be ready to go from the opening tip!
If a FF official can make an error only two seconds into a game, so can all of us.
He may not have been expecting to have to make a call so soon and been surprised.

JRutledge Sat Apr 06, 2019 05:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032022)
14:05. Foul during a scramble. Did the foul occur in the FC or BC? Throw-in spot? Shot clock?

It was ruled a foul in the BC as that is where they put the ball and they reset the shot clock. But the contact looks like it took place in the FC. But I can understand why it was ruled in the BC.

Peace

JRutledge Sat Apr 06, 2019 05:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032024)
Be ready to go from the opening tip!
If a FF official can make an error only two seconds into a game, so can all of us.
He may not have been expecting to have to make a call so soon and been surprised.

Yes, you need to be ready to work, but you will also likely make mistakes too. Now if you have times of those plays, I guess I can find them to see if they are actual mistakes. Missed the first 10 minutes of the games myself.

Peace

AremRed Sat Apr 06, 2019 06:12pm

Quote:

At that stage of the game does it really matter?

Pantherdreams Sat Apr 06, 2019 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1032031)

Ask us later in the game ;)

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 06:48pm

Quote:

Quote:

I don’t know the college rule on this. What are the factors?

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:06pm

Blatant illegal dribble just missed in the final five seconds of the game!

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:08pm

Excellent foul call on 3pt try in the final second.

tjones1 Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032034)

I had it too... was waiting for the whistle. Thought the foul was a late whistle to get the violation.

JRutledge Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:09pm

Quote:

To no one but officials, it would not. I get it, I had a play like this put at the wrong place this year. I could make a difference to the right coach. But this is why IMO it is kind of stupid the rule we have in place as to make a difference on if the shot clock is changed based on where the foul took place. But I do not make those decisions, so there you go.

Peace

Kelvin green Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:09pm

Was that a double dribble with 1.5 left? I didn’t see a defender touch it.

Right call on the last foul...

Kelvin green Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:11pm

Gutsy call on the three but it’s right.

tjones1 Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 1032038)

Yes it was.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:12pm

That missed illegal dribble call was HUGE.

Drizzle Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 1032039)
Gutsy call on the three but it’s right.

Attaway James Breeding!

Kelvin green Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032034)

I agree and huge... giving Auburn back the ball With 1.5 could have changed the outcome of the game. Of course not fouling would have changed the outcome of the game

Event the analyst now discussing the dribble.

grunewar Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 1032038)

Right call on the last foul...

I thought so too on the first, and also agree on the second.

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:15pm

Great example of why people need to stop talking about “letting the players decide the game.”

Fuelrider Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:28pm

So hard to watch this. These guys are cream of the crop. You have to make that call and be aware of the situation. Another big missed call in a huge game.

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuelrider (Post 1032046)
So hard to watch this. These guys are cream of the crop. You have to make that call and be aware of the situation. Another big missed call in a huge game.

Why aren’t you out there?

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:34pm

Hardly any fanboys knew that was an illegal dribble until Steratore came on air.

jmwking Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:46pm

Not a fumble/bobble?

AremRed Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:57pm

Auburn fans throw stuff at the refs as they leave the floor.

https://streamable.com/k8496

dahoopref Sat Apr 06, 2019 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032041)
That missed illegal dribble call was HUGE.

IMO, the Center (Sirmons) should've called the front jersey grab by Auburn #2 (take foul) right before the double-dribble.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032048)
Hardly any fanboys knew that was an illegal dribble until Steratore came on air.

Including Charles Barkley, who said he wasn’t aware of that ruling.
He was absolute class in not complaining about officiating decisions, but rather praised both Auburn and Virginia for the plays that they made and the great game.

Rich Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1032051)
IMO, the Center (Sirmons) should've called the front jersey grab by Auburn #2 (take foul) right before the double-dribble.

This. My God, this. A grab of the jersey too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

thedewed Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:11pm

the double dribble was obvious to anyone with a reasonable understanding of the rules. what was surprising was that Sirmons was there because he blows his whistle for every little thing. the only play I wondered about towards the end was whether Auburn traveled after the catch, before the foul, with about 20 seconds left.

I thought they did a great job other than the double dribble

grunewar Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:15pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032052)
Including Charles Barkley, who said he wasn’t aware of that ruling.
He was absolute class in not complaining about officiating decisions, but rather praised both Auburn and Virginia for the plays that they made and the great game.

I too thought Charles showed some class there. Appreciative of what Auburn accomplished. Stuff happens. Good on him!

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:17pm

Quote:

We post potentially missed plays or rules all the time on this forum that probably don’t matter “at that stage of the game.” So what’s your point?

Raymond Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:29pm

Quote:

It always matters if you working a college game with me. When I'm the crew chief I make sure that we're putting the ball in play where it supposed to be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond Sat Apr 06, 2019 08:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1032050)
Auburn fans throw stuff at the refs as they leave the floor.

https://streamable.com/k8496

While security stands around with their thumbs up their asses.

Rich Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:34pm

It's unfortunate the double dribble was missed, but the T knew the defense was going to take a foul there.....tough to officiate the defense there knowing that and catch a double - which rarely happens at that level.

dahoopref Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:35pm

Quote:

Put yourself on the court as the T or C and imagine officiating the defender (as we are taught) expecting a take-foul to happen.

I'm not seeing a dribble off the foot with the Auburn #2 so close to the ball handler and not guessing why the ball was loose for a split second. I'm just really surprised Breeding didn't call the take-foul.

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:44pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1032069)
Put yourself on the court as the T or C and imagine officiating the defender (as we are taught) expecting a take-foul to happen.

I'm not seeing a dribble off the foot with the Auburn #2 so close to the ball handler and not guessing why the ball was loose for a split second. I'm just really surprised Breeding didn't call the take-foul.

Christ, Breeding was not the official that missed the illegal dribble or the take foul.

Rich Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032071)
Christ, Breeding was not the official that missed the illegal dribble or the take foul.

The T missed the illegal dribble. The C had a great, open look at the take foul.

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:49pm

It’s amazing to me how many holier-than-thou high school officials have the gall to act as though “I wouldn’t have missed that play or this play.”

This crew missed plays. This crew made some outstanding calls.

Yawn.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:51pm

Quote:

You want the Lead to come get that in the backcourt?
Sirmons was the C.

Rich Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032073)
It’s amazing to me how many holier-than-thou high school officials have the gall to act as though “I wouldn’t have missed that play or this play.”

Yawn.

I'm with you in case you don't realize it.

Who the f---, even in a top HS game, expects an illegal dribble?

Staring at the dribbler is usually a recipe for not getting anywhere near that level.

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032072)
The T missed the illegal dribble. The C had a great, open look at the take foul.

The T was Kimble. The C was Sirmons.

Breeding had nothing to do with these plays, and he had the guts to make the most important call of the game and nailed it.

How many holier-than-thou officials would have passed on that play under the justification of “letting the kids decide it”?

dahoopref Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032074)
You want the Lead to come get that in the backcourt?
Sirmons was the C.

Sorry, I incorrectly identified Breeding for Sirmons.

Rich Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032076)
The T was Kimble. The C was Sirmons.

Breeding had nothing to do with these plays, and he had the guts to make the most important call of the game and nailed it.

How many holier-than-thou officials would have passed on that play under the justification of “letting the kids decide it”?

I never used names.

A to B, bodied the shooter at the top of the shot.

If you pass on that, you're not a good official and I don't want to work with you.

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032075)
I'm with you in case you don't realize it.

Who the f---, even in a top HS game, expects an illegal dribble?

Staring at the dribbler is usually a recipe for not getting anywhere near that level.

I know plenty of high school officials who would stare at the dribbler, know the dribbling rules forward and back, and would still miss that play.

Yet in a Final Four game those same officials want to lambaste the top officials in the country for erring. LOL.

Nevadaref Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:56pm

Quote:

Yawn.

I’m 100% that I would have whistled the illegal dribble as Trail.
Why? Simply watch the defender. If he fouls, you have that call. If he doesn’t foul, you know that he didn’t touch the ball because you are watching him. That makes the violation an easy call. No judgment is needed for the violation. Discretion is only a factor as to the amount of contact that you allow/observe for a potential foul.

Rich Sat Apr 06, 2019 09:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032080)
I’m 100% that I would have whistled the illegal dribble as Trail.

Why? Simply watch the defender. If he fouls, you have that call. If he doesn’t foul, you know that he didn’t touch the ball because you are watching him. That makes the violation an easy call. No judgment is needed for the violation. Discretion is only a factor as to the amount of contact that you allow/observe for a potential foul.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032079)
I know plenty of high school officials who would stare at the dribbler, know the dribbling rules forward and back, and would still miss that play.

Yet in a Final Four game those same officials want to lambaste the top officials in the country for erring. LOL.

Like you said, SC Official.

AremRed Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:17pm

Thing is, it’s not a double dribble for him to tap the ball and keep the dribble going. It’s only a double dribble because he picked up the ball with two hands and then started a new dribble.

thedewed Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:22pm

My god, call a spade a spade. It's not like it was close whether it was a double dribble or not. Where is the uncertainty? It's not like it happened quickly. The ball hit the dribblers foot, he picks it up, and dribbles again. C has to come get that if T boots it. There's no question what happened.

Good call on the end. Anyone that wouldn't call that shouldn't be officiating, but I suppose some wouldn't.

SC Official Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1032083)
My god, call a spade a spade. It's not like it was close whether it was a double dribble or not. Where is the uncertainty? It's not like it happened quickly. The ball hit the dribblers foot, he picks it up, and dribbles again. C has to come get that if T boots it. There's no question what happened.

Good call on the end. Anyone that wouldn't call that shouldn't be officiating, but I suppose some wouldn't.

Understanding why a play was missed isn’t the same as saying it wasn’t missed.

That is great that you think it was such an easy play. So, why weren’t you on that game?

thedewed Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:48pm

No excuse for both T and C to miss that. With T whiffing, C has to come and bail him out...or would you just prefer to not offend T, and not get it right? It's not like it was split-second, hard to make out what happened. You should have dual controls out there when the play is such that 2 officials are looking there. It can't be missed. And don't worry, I actually wanted Va to win. Beautiful basketball.

Rich Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1032085)
No excuse for both T and C to miss that. With T whiffing, C has to come and bail him out...or would you just prefer to not offend T, and not get it right? It's not like it was split-second, hard to make out what happened. You should have dual controls out there when the play is such that 2 officials are looking there. It can't be missed. And don't worry, I actually wanted Va to win. Beautiful basketball.

The C wouldn't see it. Watch the clip again.

JRutledge Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:53pm

Well, I worked the biggest game in my state. I can tell you that every call was thought out and if I had not clearly seen this play, I would have gotten it, but I would not necessarily know that I would see this as clearly as slow motion. So when I hear officials say, "I would have seen this," give me a break. This is the biggest game of their lives and all of a sudden these situations are always seen clearly. It is one thing when you are calling a game in the middle of the season and hardly anyone cares, but it is another when the game has all the eyes and the coverage you never have during the season.

It was a miss. It is not the end of the world. There was more to play for after that play and that play was called correct by an official coming out of his primary.

Peace

Nevadaref Sun Apr 07, 2019 01:19am

Excellent review of the plays at the end here: https://www.yahoo.com/sports/lastsec...010450747.html

Unfortunately, not all Auburn personnel and supporters behaved with as much class as Charles after the game.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1032087)

It was a miss. It is not the end of the world. There was more to play for after that play and that play was called correct by an official coming out of his primary.

You are correct and I meant to inquire about this earlier. Does anyone have video or a still photo showing the Trail, Doug Sirmons, on the final VA possession? I’m curious if he also called this foul or left it to the Lead because it is the Trail’s primary as you mention.

Nevadaref Sun Apr 07, 2019 01:32am

Highlight clips of the final VA possession seem to show the T merely indicating a 3pt attempt, but not calling a foul.

nolanjj68 Sun Apr 07, 2019 05:52am

Quote:

Originally Posted by dahoopref (Post 1032051)

Bingo! Totally agree. Almost everyone missed this.

nolanjj68 Sun Apr 07, 2019 06:03am

Jersey grabbed prior to the double dribble

The UVA player's jersey was grabbed by the Auburn defender prior to the double dribble.

https://twitter.com/ericsports/statu...87692275478528

Would you call a foul here? I am not sure I would.

chapmaja Sun Apr 07, 2019 08:27am

I do find it ironic and somewhat funny that Aurburn lost on free throws at the end of the game when they were lucky in a very similar situation in round 1.

thedewed Sun Apr 07, 2019 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032086)
The C wouldn't see it. Watch the clip again.

this is wrong, Sirmons is staring right at the situation, and in fact has a whistle on the foul immediately following.

This DD was basic and really clear, no quick reaction needed, no quirky rule. The more interesting call is with 19 seconds to go, when Guy almost steals the throw in, do you call the travel on Auburn? after the catch, he shuffles one foot, then picks up the other, then does a quick hop with both feet before he gets fouled.

And the other very disturbing non-call is by Sirmons on that last, fairly obvious foul on the 3 point shot. Shooter is actually displaced, in the air, before the shot. Isn't that trail's primary call? Thank goodness L is there. L also had a nice pass on the inside shot Jerome was whining about with a few minutes to go, where the defender, maybe Harper, swiped and did get ball.

There was also a basket interference call or goal tending that was phantom against Va with a few minutes to go. AU had gotten the rebound, but still, there was nothing there.

Raymond Sun Apr 07, 2019 08:59am

Quote:

If you are refereeing the defense, then wouldn't you know whether or not the defense touched the ball?

It's a missed call at an unfortunate time. Ideally, the contact that occurred between the ball going off his foot and the ball being retrieved would have been called as a take-foul.

JRutledge Sun Apr 07, 2019 09:02am

It is funny how everyone would have called the double dribble on this play, but people here and all over the place were insisting that the play in the Wofford-Kentucky play was a double dribble as well, but many did not see the defender's foot, in that case, touch the ball and stop the dribble. I even had some people claim they could not see the play even after I blew it up in my video. Just ironic what people think they see after the fact.

Peace

thedewed Sun Apr 07, 2019 09:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1032100)
It is funny how everyone would have called the double dribble on this play, but people here and all over the place were insisting that the play in the Wofford-Kentucky play was a double dribble as well, but many did not see the defender's foot, in that case, touch the ball and stop the dribble. I even had some people claim they could not see the play even after I blew it up in my video. Just ironic what people think they see after the fact.

Peace

dribbler and defender are usually facing different directions, thus it's usually pretty easy to tell whose foot it hits by the direction the ball goes.

BillyMac Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:33am

No Short Cuts ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1032060)
When I'm the crew chief I make sure that we're putting the ball in play where it supposed to be.

It's always part of my high school pregame.

Put the ball in play where it goes out of bounds, or where the foul, or the violation, occurs.

deecee Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:57am

Just saw both plays. Don't know what I would do but the dribbling violation seemed like a fairly obvious dribble-fumble-dribble. But I knew what I was looking for and it was slo mo.

The foul on the 3 point shot was very correct. It's only controversial to Auburn fans.

Rich Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:06am

http://fronheiser.net/foul.jpg

In a perfect world, the C grabs this foul.

Zoochy Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:08pm

What is the time on the clock on this play?
Where is the ball put back into play?

bucky Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:49pm

Not a jersey grab IMO. A jersey swipe? Yes, but not a grab. Plus, had nothing to do with the play, merely incidental. If a foul is called there, the whole world would be questioning it. IOW, the lesser of two evils prevailed, as it should have.

deecee Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032105)

I didn't think this was a foul. It was for a fraction of a second and didn't impact anything.

Raymond Sun Apr 07, 2019 01:14pm

Quote:

Yep, that's what I've been saying. The contact before he picks up the dribble could have been called as a take-foul.

And yes, I have called fouls from the Center in pressing situations when Trail is straight-lined. I mentor a kid who is still in college and we've had several conversations about the Center official helping out with contact in the back court.

thedewed Sun Apr 07, 2019 01:47pm

You've got 2 guys looking at that backcourt double dribble, 2 angles, dual controls because you can afford it in that instance, part of the reason we have 3 officials. No excuse that neither get that obvious call. And thank goodness the lead in the last shot stepped up, because Sirmons, the trail there (primary?) and the C here (secondary but also critical dual control) wilted in the last few seconds of that game. Had the L not stepped up on the last play, it would have been the worst last few seconds in the history of a FF game.

chapmaja Sun Apr 07, 2019 02:11pm

Quote:

The thing with still pictures is the loss of perspective. From this still picture, yes this is a foul that the C should have called. The C, nor any other official, has the ability to stop frame a scene and see exactly what happened. It is very possible that 1 or 2 "frames" either way and there is not enough contact to make a call. The thing will humans is we see a lot, but we also miss a lot due to the speed of the game vs the speed of human vision.

Then there is the entire angle issue. Obviously the C has a different view of this than the camera does, and from the C's position it may even be less contact than what is witnessed in this single frame of time.

The missed DD is a bigger issue. The foul call on the 3 attempt was absolutely, 100% the correct call.

SC Official Sun Apr 07, 2019 03:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1032033)
I don’t know the college rule on this. What are the factors?

If the defensive foul is anywhere in the frontcourt, the throw-in spot is determined by the line of demarcation–the closest 28-foot line or tickmark on the endline. Additionally, the shot clock is reset to a maximum of 20 seconds.

If the foul is in the backcourt, the throw-in is at the nearest spot and the shot clock goes to 30.

Raymond Sun Apr 07, 2019 05:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1032115)
If the defensive foul is anywhere in the frontcourt, the throw-in spot is determined by the line of demarcation–the closest 28-foot line or tickmark on the endline. Additionally, the shot clock is reset to a maximum of 20 seconds...

...and doesn't reset if 20 plus.

Camron Rust Sun Apr 07, 2019 09:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1032104)
Just saw both plays. Don't know what I would do but the dribbling violation seemed like a fairly obvious dribble-fumble-dribble. But I knew what I was looking for and it was slo mo.

The foul on the 3 point shot was very correct. It's only controversial to Auburn fans.

I too just saw them.

The illegal dribble was pretty obvious. Tough one for two of them to miss. At least one had a perfectly clear look.

The foul wouldn't have been called 10 years ago. It gets called now. It was a foul.

With the time remaining in the game at the time of the missed illegal dribble, it likely had a direct impact on the outcome. Not the first game this year where a last second missed violation likely changed the outcome.

Rich Sun Apr 07, 2019 09:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1032123)
I too just saw them.

The illegal dribble was pretty obvious. Tough one for two of them to miss. At least one had a perfectly clear look.

The foul wouldn't have been called 10 years ago. It gets called now. It was a foul.

With the time remaining in the game at the time of the missed illegal dribble, it likely had a direct impact on the outcome. Not the first game this year where a last second missed violation likely changed the outcome.

How about the missed take foul after the fumble but before the double dribble?

I mean, if we're playing "what was missed" then everything should be on the table.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SD Referee Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:14am

Quote:

That's not true. My whole group saw it in real time. Most of the people around us saw it too.

Just proves that anybody can screw up and miss calls at any time. None of these guys are perfect, just like us, and calling anybody "cream of the crop" is a little over the top. Lots of good refs out there.

SD Referee Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:19am

Quote:

Yawn.

Has anybody said that yet? I haven't read that.

Some missed plays/calls. Some great calls. Just like most crews out there working across the country.

D1 officials are not gods. They sometimes get treated like it. We all know some great officials. Some of you on this board are great officials. The difference between the guys on TV and the great officials you know is how much time, money at big time camps, and kissing up at big time camps do you want to spend. That's how you get to the big time. It's not because these guys are perfect and never mess up. They proved that.

They did a great job, but also missed some things. That's almost every game in the world.

deecee Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032125)
How about the missed take foul after the fumble but before the double dribble?

I mean, if we're playing "what was missed" then everything should be on the table.

Your one frame shot doesn't prove it was a foul. It shows contact that in it's context doesn't rise to the level of a foul.

Rich Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:23am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1032133)
Your one frame shot doesn't prove it was a foul. It shows contact that in it's context doesn't rise to the level of a foul.

I don't have the video, but it's a grab and it's in the context of a take foul, which normally has a much lower threshold for a whistle.

Not saying it IS a foul, but all those saying the missed double is the only thing here, it's just not.

JRutledge Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032134)
I don't have the video, but it's a grab and it's in the context of a take foul, which normally has a much lower threshold for a whistle.

Not saying it IS a foul, but all those saying the missed double is the only thing here, it's just not.

I agree with you, but this is also why I do not like still pictures as ways to determine if a foul or a violation took place on its own. Because even if the jersey is being pulled, that does not mean the player was restricted. I think the play in question was more about his finger getting caught into the jersey, but nothing restricted. Also, there is a point of the game too where any little contact can be considered a foul as Auburn had fouls to give and near the end of the game. Great discussion, but also can be deceiving as well if we use a picture to say something was missed, but I get your overall point too.

Peace

Rich Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1032135)
I agree with you, but this is also why I do not like still pictures as ways to determine if a foul or a violation took place on its own. Because even if the jersey is being pulled, that does not mean the player was restricted. I think the play in question was more about his finger getting caught into the jersey, but nothing restricted. Also, there is a point of the game too where any little contact can be considered a foul as Auburn had fouls to give and near the end of the game. Great discussion, but also can be deceiving as well if we use a picture to say something was missed, but I get your overall point too.

Peace

I'm not even saying this was missed, but nobody's talking about this as if it doesn't happen. In context, since it's part of the sequence that included the double dribble, we should be at least considering it.

deecee Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:04am

Rich,

Yours and Jeffs points are well taken. Even in a take-foul I didn't think that contact amounted to anything more than the defender getting crossed up and turned around. As sensitive as I was to take-fouls I still wanted to call a foul for an action that I considered an attempt at fouling.

Being too sensitive is not reasonable to the offense as they are trying to run down the clock. Officials sometimes, I felt, erred too much on the defenses side and that creates an unfair balance.

Sometimes though they would not be aware at all and then all of a sudden you get an intentional foul. Depends on the quality of the official too.

MechanicGuy Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:14am

What complicates it, imo, is that I think part of why they missed the illegal dribble is because they were very conscious of a take-foul and focused on that. Given that, I'm surprised they didn't put a whistle on that contact, even as marginal as it was.

In any other scenario, like say if UVA was already in the bonus, I don't think the violation is missed.

IUgrad92 Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032136)
I'm not even saying this was missed, but nobody's talking about this as if it doesn't happen. In context, since it's part of the sequence that included the double dribble, we should be at least considering it.

The take foul is a judgment call. The double dribble is not a judgment call. Maybe the official saw the contact and decided to pass? We'll likely not know the answer to that, but is possible!

I think that is why some are not giving much leniency on the double dribble, as with two officials in that area, at least one needs to come up with that 'by rule' call.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by deecee (Post 1032137)
Rich,

Yours and Jeffs points are well taken. Even in a take-foul I didn't think that contact amounted to anything more than the defender getting crossed up and turned around. As sensitive as I was to take-fouls I still wanted to call a foul for an action that I considered an attempt at fouling.

Being too sensitive is not reasonable to the offense as they are trying to run down the clock. Officials sometimes, I felt, erred too much on the defenses side and that creates an unfair balance.

Sometimes though they would not be aware at all and then all of a sudden you get an intentional foul. Depends on the quality of the official too.

Agree. I don't think anything was missed on that. It was just incidental contact. It wasn't an incidental illegal dribble.

JRutledge Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:25pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92 (Post 1032139)
The take foul is a judgment call. The double dribble is not a judgment call. Maybe the official saw the contact and decided to pass? We'll likely not know the answer to that, but is possible!

How is it not a judgment call? When a dribble ends or when another begins is a judgment call. Now some judgment calls are more obvious than others and in this situation based off of looking at it closely, yes this was not as hard of judgment, but looking at it live can be all kinds of things in mind. Even stepping out of bounds is a judgment call. I do not know why people act like these things cannot involve some judgment and part of a judgment is being able to clearly see the entire picture. I think this play was unusual and probably the official assumed that the defender touched the ball or just was not sure so why call something that critical if you are not sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IUgrad92 (Post 1032139)
I think that is why some are not giving much leniency on the double dribble, as with two officials in that area, at least one needs to come up with that 'by rule' call.

This was one official's call, not two officials. The play was going away from the C. And if you called that and I ruled something, then I would have an issue with you calling something that I believe I saw.

Peace

so cal lurker Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:29pm

A bit of class from Coach Pearl:

Pearl on missed double dribble: 'Get over it'

"The biggest point I want to make, and I'm sincere in this, I'm not just saying this because it's politically the right thing to say. There is human error involved in the game. Kids make mistakes, coaches make mistakes. Yes, officials will make mistakes. That's part of the game. Get over it," he said.

"Sometimes they're going to go your way, sometimes they're not going to go your way. Are we going to give God less glory because we lost and ... only because we win? Stop. Grow up, this is part of the game. These kids taught us, I think, in many, many ways how to handle defeat. And that's a difficult thing to do for these young kids. And I'm proud of them."

Camron Rust Mon Apr 08, 2019 02:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1032141)
How is it not a judgment call? When a dribble ends or when another begins is a judgment call. Now some judgment calls are more obvious than others and in this situation based off of looking at it closely, yes this was not as hard of judgment, but looking at it live can be all kinds of things in mind. Even stepping out of bounds is a judgment call. I do not know why people act like these things cannot involve some judgment and part of a judgment is being able to clearly see the entire picture.

That is not what "Judgement Call" means.

A "Judgement Call" is when what happens is not in question. It is when the official has to decide if what happened (and was clearly observed) is an infraction or not is (is the contact enough for a foul or not, which player is responsible for the contact, or a roll of the hand enough for a carry or not, when specifically does the dribble end as a player catches the ball with one hand).

There is no question about what happened on this play. The official didn't apply a judgment and decide it was not enough to call. The official simply didn't see it or didn't recognize what he saw.

Stepping OOB is not a judgement call either. The player either stepped out or the player didn't step out. When the player steps out, there is no judgement to be applied to determine if you should blow the whistle or not.

Not seeing something isn't a judgement. It is just not seeing something.

JRutledge Mon Apr 08, 2019 02:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1032144)
That is not what "Judgement Call" means.

A "Judgement Call" is when what happens is not in question. It is when the official has to decide if what happened (and was clearly observed) is an infraction or not is (is the contact enough for a foul or not, which player is responsible for the contact, or a roll of the hand enough for a carry or not, when specifically does the dribble end as a player catches the ball with one hand).

Can you direct me to the exact place where I can find this so-called definition? Because the actual definition of "judgment" does not suggest what you are saying.

All judgment means in a dictionary definitions, "the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions."

So let us not add to what we say the word means when there is no such change in the definition.

Quote:

There is no question about what happened on this play. The official didn't apply a judgment and decide it was not enough to call. The official simply didn't see it or didn't recognize what he saw.

Did you talk to him directly? I know I didn't talk to the official personally. Actually, I have not heard him speak at all on the matter. I have no idea what he was thinking or not thinking at the time of the play. I just know there was a violation not called. He might have thought the player did something else that did not make it a violation. He would have been wrong, but I have no idea if he missed the action all together thinking of something else or he

Stepping OOB is not a judgement call either. The player either stepped out or the player didn't step out. When the player steps out, there is no judgment to be applied to determine if you should blow the whistle or not.

Quote:

Not seeing something isn't a judgement. It is just not seeing something.

His judgment could have been wrong with either not being aware of one part of that play. If there was no judgment then there would have been a call. ;)

Peace

deecee Mon Apr 08, 2019 04:06pm

In the end 2 top officials did something we all do game in and game out. They missed a call. This call in and of itself did not dictate outcome. The losing team hits a shot they missed earlier in the game, or one less turnover, things are different. The difference is time to recover is non-existant, however they still fouled on the 3-point attempt.

Would I have made this call or not? I don't know. If I'm on this game and make this call, I guarantee there will be other wrong calls that would get attention. It's a zero sum game to argue "a call dictated the outcome" unless the call was wrong at the buzzer that determined an outcome. That is the only scenario where a call dictates a game.

I wish I had the opportunity to screw this call up. That means I did something right to officiate a final 4 game. Ill take it.

thedewed Mon Apr 08, 2019 06:32pm

I think the no-judgment involved here means that if you immediately asked those 2 officials what had just happened, they knew that the ball hit the back of the dribbler's foot, behind him, 6 feet or so away from any part of the defender's body, then he caught the ball, again no question the defender didn't touch, and then he started to dribble again. The booted the call. And I sure hope that part of what happened wasn't that the C didn't want to offend the T, because that is an unfortunate perspective of too many officials. If you are sure of what you see in that situation, step in and get it right. There was no question what the facts were, they just didn't process them.

Rich Mon Apr 08, 2019 06:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1032149)
I think the no-judgment involved here means that if you immediately asked those 2 officials what had just happened, they knew that the ball hit the back of the dribbler's foot, behind him, 6 feet or so away from any part of the defender's body, then he caught the ball, again no question the defender didn't touch, and then he started to dribble again. The booted the call. And I sure hope that part of what happened wasn't that the C didn't want to offend the T, because that is an unfortunate perspective of too many officials. If you are sure of what you see in that situation, step in and get it right. There was no question what the facts were, they just didn't process them.

Watch the film. There is no way the C can see this play or make this call. The L if he's looking there? Maybe.

thedewed Mon Apr 08, 2019 08:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1032150)
Watch the film. There is no way the C can see this play or make this call. The L if he's looking there? Maybe.

Sirmons is the C and is about 10 feet away staring at it. not sure what you are thinking are looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TEtgC2DjWw

it's crystal clear with no doubt on any relevant fact what occurred to C or T.

Camron Rust Mon Apr 08, 2019 08:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1032145)
Can you direct me to the exact place where I can find this so-called definition? Because the actual definition of "judgment" does not suggest what you are saying.

All judgment means in a dictionary definitions, "the ability to make considered decisions or come to sensible conclusions."

So let us not add to what we say the word means when there is no such change in the definition.

Recognizing facts is not judgement. It has been used in basketball for a long time with a particular meaning whether you understand that or not. Judgement calls are calls that, when seen, the official has choices to make on whether there is something to call and if it should be called. Judgement calls are adjudicating the grey areas.

A player standing OOB with the ball is a fact. If it isn't called, it isn't due to judgement, it is not recognizing a fact, not seeing it.

This play was also a fact. The player clearly was dribbling, clearly picked the ball up with two hands, and clearly dribbled again. Those are the facts and no one with a brain can honestly say otherwise. There was no judgement needed here. He just missed it.

When a player has a hand on an opponent, you can call a foul or you can not call a foul...that is a judgment call.

thedewed Mon Apr 08, 2019 08:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1032152)
Recognizing facts is not judgement. It has been used in basketball for a long time with a particular meaning whether you understand that or not. Judgement calls are calls that, when seen, the official has choices to make on whether there is something to call and if it should be called. Judgement calls are adjudicating the grey areas.

A player standing OOB with the ball is a fact. If it isn't called, it isn't due to judgement, it is not recognizing a fact, not seeing it.

This play was also a fact. The player clearly was dribbling, clearly picked the ball up with two hands, and clearly dribbled again. Those are the facts and no one with a brain can honestly say otherwise. There was no judgement needed here. He just missed it.

When a player has a hand on an opponent, you can call a foul or you can not call a foul...that is a judgment call.

Agreed, but they both saw everything they needed to see that w/o question it was a clear double dribble, nothing questionable about it.

JRutledge Mon Apr 08, 2019 08:39pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by thedewed (Post 1032151)
Sirmons is the C and is about 10 feet away staring at it. not sure what you are thinking are looking at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TEtgC2DjWw

it's crystal clear with no doubt on any relevant fact what occurred to C or T.

We obviously have no concept of 10 feet. There is no way he is 10 feet away from that play. He is on the other side of the court. Yes on the floor but he is not at all 10 feet away from that play. He is likely around 30 feet away if he is a little bit on the court. The Trail might not be 10 feet away from the play.

And if you call that on a one or one matchup at a camp, someone is going to ask you some questions.

Peace

JRutledge Mon Apr 08, 2019 08:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1032152)

Until you show me some jargon that suggests this is not a judgment call, then maybe. But you have not so it is still a judgment call. You have to make a judgment if the ball hit the dribbler and not touch the defender before the ball was picked up. And then you have to judge if the action was not the start of a dribble. Which depending on your angle and speed could be up for question. Say however you wish, it is still a judgment call to make those decisions. The difficulty is a different story, but still a judgment call. This is not like the 3 point shot they reviewed where you see a foot on the line or not.

Peace

Camron Rust Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1032157)
Until you show me some jargon that suggests this is not a judgment call, then maybe. But you have not so it is still a judgment call. You have to make a judgment if the ball hit the dribbler and not touch the defender before the ball was picked up. And then you have to judge if the action was not the start of a dribble. Which depending on your angle and speed could be up for question. Say however you wish, it is still a judgment call to make those decisions. The difficulty is a different story, but still a judgment call. This is not like the 3 point shot they reviewed where you see a foot on the line or not.

Peace

Yes, those are indeed judgements, but it is still not a judgement call. There is a difference. You see the elements or you don't. Again, a judgement call is seeing the elements correctly and still having a judgement to make....block/charge, verticality, impediment, etc.

Rich Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1032166)
Yes, those are indeed judgements, but it is still not a judgement call. There is a difference. You see the elements or you don't. Again, a judgement call is seeing the elements correctly and still having a judgement to make....block/charge, verticality, impediment, etc.

This is nonsense.

There are judgment calls and rules calls.

Double dribble and OOB are most certainly judgment calls. Giving a fouled player the correct number of shots is a rules decision.

JRutledge Mon Apr 08, 2019 11:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1032166)

OK, whatever you say.

Peace