The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 01, 2019, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Running style.

I was talking to a basketball coach who used to be the track coach with me years ago. He thinks he knows why he runs the way he does when he officiates.

A smaller percentage of runners, for some reason, have an exaggerated forward lean when they run. This causes there head to be in a down position when they run. The easiest way to fix this running style is to have an exaggerated high knee while running. Keeping the knees high prevents the body from rolling forward into a head down position.

Given the importance of having a head up position, I would think it is possible that the high knee running style is a result of him once being told he runs with his head down and he struggled keeping the head up, so he exaggerated his running style and this is the result.