The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Tenn v Purdue video request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104501-tenn-v-purdue-video-request.html)

JRutledge Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:42pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1031748)
I've heard that from assigners about other officials.

I am just saying, we do not have more to worry about?

Peace

chapmaja Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031735)
What game? I am too focused on watching Andersen run or whatever you want to call it:rolleyes:

I don't think the way an official runs should be important if that official is capable of doing the job properly. In this case I don't think it is an issue. If it were someone who runs like me (slow as dirt), then it would be impacting the ability to do the job properly.

(As a former track coach that running "style" absolutely disturbs me BTW)

billyu2 Fri Mar 29, 2019 08:01am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1031743)
At my (HS varsity) level, they should care about playcalling and communication. I wonder if there's a physical reason he runs that way. I showed my wife and she thinks it could be easier on his knees.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Excellent point. Unless sprinting, the heel-strike occurs first and for some officials can cause discomfort or damage in the knees or hips. It does look like he's riding a bike up the floor though. But who cares?

Raymond Fri Mar 29, 2019 08:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1031745)
Jeff says his doctor told him to do it because of his bad knees. Yeah right. :rolleyes:

This is what I know about Jeff Anderson, he has one of the best officiating minds of any official I've EVER had a conversation with. He thinks about everything he does on the court. So I'm sure he has a good reason for why he started running like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1031735)
What game? I am too focused on watching Andersen run or whatever you want to call it:rolleyes:

Yeah, you are.

Rich Fri Mar 29, 2019 08:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1031758)
This is what I know about Jeff Anderson, he has one of the best officiating minds of any official I've EVER had a conversation with. He thinks about everything he does on the court. So I'm sure he has a good reason for why he started running like that.

It's only interesting to me cause I have an arthritic knee and I'll do anything to reduce pain from it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Raymond Fri Mar 29, 2019 08:28am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1031732)
Foul on the 3-point shot with 1.7 left in regulation.

I’m listening on the radio so haven’t seen the play.

Just saw the replay on Twitter with a camera angle from behind the Lead.

That's a foul anytime that play happens in my PCA.

SC Official Fri Mar 29, 2019 08:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1031750)
I am just saying, we do not have more to worry about?

Peace

Perhaps you should pose your question to assigners who pass over great officials all the time because of "how they run."

Raymond Fri Mar 29, 2019 08:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1031761)
Perhaps you should pose your question to assigners who pass over great officials all the time because of "how they run."

In the summer of 2014 Tony Brothers made fun of how I was running. By the summer of 2015 I had a new run and ever since then I've been complimented for how well I run for a man of my size (6' 5"/250+).

JRutledge Fri Mar 29, 2019 09:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1031761)

Why would I pose such a question? I have never heard and assignor pass over someone because of the way they run. Maybe because they can't run very well or they look like they are constantly laboring, but not because of the actual style of running.

Peace

Chuga Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:07am

Personally, I don't care how an official runs. As long as they get into position and can make the calls, they can run like Mr. Ed for all I care. I work with many officials who run vastly different and as long as they can be in position to make a call, that's fine with me.

Rich Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1031760)
Just saw the replay on Twitter with a camera angle from behind the Lead.

That's a foul anytime that play happens in my PCA.

I'm amazed at how many people on Twitter are saying this is a weak foul. It's not even a difficult one to call, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JRutledge Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 1031770)
I'm amazed at how many people on Twitter are saying this is a weak foul. It's not even a difficult one to call, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When the commentators, analysts and the coach of the team that was called for a foul all say it is a foul, it is probably a foul.

Peace

Pantherdreams Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:46am

Its a foul.

Fanboy issues aside the people I talk to who believe its (soft) or not a foul come to this conclusion by conflating the following issues.

1) The defender leaves the floor first and based on the angles provided may or may not be on a path to fly by.

2) THe defender's shooting motion brings his legs forward so it looks like he's kicking them out.

3) The leg that comes farthest and lands in a new spot is the one the tenesse player hits.

Bottom line is to the fans without an angle from behind or other side of floor (Where benches are) there are people who think the only reason contact is occuring is because of the kick of the legs.

For the record its a foul.

And now my old man yellling about my lawn moment. A great example of the risk involved in teaching kids to jump to contest/fly by to try to run shooters off the line instead of teaching closeouts.

so cal lurker Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:35am

I was at the other arena last night, and this was on the screens between games. I was in a crowd for the play. The loudest know-it-alls were all confident it could not be a foul because the ball had already left his hand. I just rolled my eyes and didn't bother trying to explain . . . .

bucky Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1031766)
Why would I pose such a question? I have never heard and assignor pass over someone because of the way they run. Maybe because they can't run very well or they look like they are constantly laboring, but not because of the actual style of running.

Peace

Not arguing with you Rut but the point was more about appearance, as a general criticism. I have seen at least one official at a camp be heavily criticized for their gate. Kinda cracked me up at the time. I figured that such thing would have no bearing on their skill/knowledge/play calling/etc. But then I have seen several officials be criticized for their weight. I have seen some officials, not being criticized necessarily, but being judged because they were bald/balding. I even recall one official being chastised by many for being so short. No assignor would ever provide such a reason for not using someone but I can almost guarantee you that the assignor was indeed using that reason. It is simply distracting as it is so different. Nothing wrong with it, just distracting. Imagine an official who "ran" on his hands. Could be greatest official of all time but it would be pretty distracting wouldn't it? Extreme/stupid example but you get my point. Jeff is a great official but when I look at the screen, the first thing I notice is something abnormal, and in his games, it is him running.

As far as the foul with 1.7 on the clock, I do not understand why everyone continues to talk about the shooter sticking out his leg when the effective contact was on the upper thigh or lower hip. Clear foul IMO. People also do not consider the bio-mechanics of the shooter. This is a right-handed player going to his right with a slight torso rotation. This was not a player sticking anything out to draw a foul. This was a player getting a shot off in a hurried fashion.