The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Flagrant Foul Example (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104486-flagrant-foul-example.html)

deecee Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:47am

Flagrant Foul Example

https://www.12up.com/posts/6325862-v...u5A82RlIbD2GdU

The article says only a common foul was called, but I don't believe that. Does anyone know anymore on this?

This folks is the poster video for "What does a flagrant foul look like?"

Nevadaref Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:06am

If you watch the video, both the C and T come running in with arms crossed.
There is no way that they went with a common foul.

deecee Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1031520)
If you watch the video, both the C and T come running in with arms crossed.
There is no way that they went with a common foul.

That's what I thought, but the article says otherwise. I'm hoping someone out there knows more, because a common foul here is a shame.

Raymond Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:08pm

That was a fan blog disguised as an article. I was expecting to see a guy getting undercut 3 feet in the air.

Judge this play only by the video, which is a body block of a guy about to take off for a layup. What was written in that article had no bearing in reality.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

johnny d Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:26pm

Looks like incidental contact and play on to me.

JRutledge Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:30pm

I do not believe the article either. The officials clearly have a signal for at the very least "Intentional Foul." Now if it was me, we are certainly giving a flagrant foul, but there is no signal for sure a foul officially. The one flagrant foul I had in my career for an elbow I gave the crossed-arms signal. I did not know what else to do and my partner came over and said, "You are going to give a flagrant for that right?" I said "yes" and called a flagrant foul.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Mar 24, 2019 01:29pm

Heave Ho ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1031534)
... a flagrant foul, but there is no signal for sure a foul officially.

We unofficially use the old heave ho "You are outta here" signal here. A lot of basketball fans watch baseball and know what the signal means.

JRutledge Sun Mar 24, 2019 01:48pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1031542)
We unofficially use the old heave ho "You are outta here" signal here. A lot of basketball fans watch baseball and know what the signal means.

I do of a "thumb" when you report this at the table as I did in that example. But I have not seen a situation where my first reaction would eject them with my signal. I might do that in my mind, but doubt it would be that instinctive.

Peace

BillyMac Sun Mar 24, 2019 03:30pm

Report Heave Ho To The Table ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1031544)
I have not seen a situation where my first reaction would eject them with my signal. I might do that in my mind, but doubt it would be that instinctive.

Agree. If I were the calling official I would immediately come up with the intentional hard foul signal (not official IAABO, but we do it locally). Then I would get together with my partner to make sure that we were both on board with the flagrant foul and only signal the "heave ho" when I report to the table.

ODog Sun Mar 24, 2019 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1031527)
That was a fan blog disguised as an article. ... What was written in that article had no bearing in reality.

Haha, seriously. "...heading for a crowd-electrifying dunk" :rolleyes:

More like: Headed for a goofy layup attempt or outright just losing the ball OOB on his own.

And for the record: Flagrant.

Kelvin green Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:56pm

That was FLAGRANT... player is ejected. Hey but he might get to play football next year.

I like the article that states a technical foul was available. Yep a strong knowledge of the rules goes a long way...

Altor Mon Mar 25, 2019 07:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelvin green (Post 1031585)
I like the article that states a technical foul was available. Yep a strong knowledge of the rules goes a long way...

The article also says a voice in the video is asking for a flagrant. No, that voice asked "Where's the T?"

I suspect the author doesn't know the difference between NCAA/NFHS/NBA fouls.

chapmaja Mon Mar 25, 2019 03:32pm

I think I got to the bottom of this.

This appears to be the last home game of the season Elyria Catholic played being a first round playoff game against Crestwood HS.

In the box score I found I did see this tidbit.

" Flagrant foul: B. Angle. Technical foul: Crestwood bench. "

The final score by the way was a 20 point Elyria Catholic win, ending Crestwood's season. The player who was fouled had 26 points.

deecee Mon Mar 25, 2019 04:07pm

thank you

constable Mon Apr 01, 2019 02:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1031542)

Even in FIBA where we do have a signal for a disqualifying foul many of use the baseball style heave- ho at the scene of the crime and give the proper DQ signal when reporting.