The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 16, 2019, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Auburn v Florida video request

Final seconds of the Auburn/Florida game.
How is no foul called?
Old Sat Mar 16, 2019, 09:40pm
beware big brother

All 3 officials had money on Auburn. They all were in a hurry to catch a flight. All their whistles broke at the exact same time. Maybe they didn't think there was a foul to be called.
Old Sat Mar 16, 2019, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
All 3 officials had money on Auburn. They all were in a hurry to catch a flight. All their whistles broke at the exact same time. Maybe they didn't think there was a foul to be called.
Have you seen a replay of this. If those officials seriously did not feel a foul should be called, they shouldn't be working higher than the guys I had to watch last week that called 3 seconds with the ball in the back court or 5 seconds on a player holding the ball in the back court (It was a girls MS wRECk league game).

This would have easily been called a foul at any other point in the game. #1 for Auburn has his arm holding down the arm of the Florida player as he goes up for a shot attempt to tie the game. Terrible miss by the officials on this.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2019, 09:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

How is no foul called?
http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26281370

I know how I would have officiated it and where the whistle should have came from.

What say you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Sun Mar 17, 2019, 09:08am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Have you seen a replay of this. If those officials seriously did not feel a foul should be called, they shouldn't be working higher than the guys I had to watch last week that called 3 seconds with the ball in the back court or 5 seconds on a player holding the ball in the back court (It was a girls MS wRECk league game).

This would have easily been called a foul at any other point in the game. #1 for Auburn has his arm holding down the arm of the Florida player as he goes up for a shot attempt to tie the game. Terrible miss by the officials on this.
Do you think the Trail official is in a position to see that hold?

Also, I don't think it's still a rule, but at one point holding the ball while closely guarded for 5 seconds was a violation anywhere on the court in NCAA Women's basketball

Old Sun Mar 17, 2019, 09:27am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

Yes I saw the play. Yes, the entire post was sarcastic. The L, thinking the game was over, decided to take the play off and was not in position to see the foul. Not sure what the C was looking at, perhaps he actually did have money on Auburn.
Old Sun Mar 17, 2019, 10:18am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Auburn secures win after baffling no-call on final play - ESPN Video

I know how I would have officiated it and where the whistle should have came from.

What say you?

I watched it twice and am not going to watch it more, so if I'm wrong, so be it.

C foul, before the shot.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

I do not have a foul. I have a hand all over the ball first. A player is surrounded by players. Not calling that in that situation. Sorry, I am not.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:02am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I do not have a foul. I have a hand all over the ball first. A player is surrounded by players. Not calling that in that situation. Sorry, I am not.
Not calling "that" meaning the foul that happened?

I showed this to some refs last night and got a 50/50 response on foul vs no foul. I pretty clearly have a foul. If ball goes down, it's a blocked shot. If ball goes up and down with hand still on the ball, it's a held ball. If the hand starts on the ball like this but the hand slides off the ball and onto the arm (what happened in this play), it's a foul.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 08:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Not calling "that" meaning the foul that happened?

I showed this to some refs last night and got a 50/50 response on foul vs no foul. I pretty clearly have a foul. If ball goes down, it's a blocked shot. If ball goes up and down with hand still on the ball, it's a held ball. If the hand starts on the ball like this but the hand slides off the ball and onto the arm (what happened in this play), it's a foul.
If that play happens in the middle of the 1st half, I am still not calling that a foul. They are all over the ball. He is surrounded by defenders. The only thing I would consider is the held ball, but not sure that fits in the college rules.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

I kinda liked the no call. Player dribbles into a mess, a triple team, and tries to jack some heave. Ball is played cleanly and no one can get a good look anyway due to traffic. Silly of player to do that, should have passed the ball.

Last edited by bucky; Mon Mar 18, 2019 at 03:54pm.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
l. If the hand starts on the ball like this but the hand slides off the ball and onto the arm (what happened in this play), it's a foul.
Agree....getting the ball first doesn't give a player the right to subsequently hit the arm if the shooter is able to push the ball through the defender's hand....foul!
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Did any of you watch the postgame interview given by Bruce Pearl?
He stated that they desired to foul prior to the 3pt attempt, but the first guy there screwed up and didn’t understand the instruction so was late in attempting to foul. By the time the second player came over and contacted the Florida player (and the video shows clear and solid contact on the shooter’s left forearm) the offensive player was already into the shot attempt. Pearl said that they were very fortunate that the officials didn’t whistle it.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 02:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
How is no foul called?
Clearer view of the play.

Peace
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

It is a clear foul. On a side note I think Mike White is a class act.