The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Auburn v Florida video request (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104448-auburn-v-florida-video-request.html)

Nevadaref Sat Mar 16, 2019 04:53pm

Auburn v Florida video request

Final seconds of the Auburn/Florida game.
How is no foul called?

johnny d Sat Mar 16, 2019 09:40pm

All 3 officials had money on Auburn. They all were in a hurry to catch a flight. All their whistles broke at the exact same time. Maybe they didn't think there was a foul to be called.

chapmaja Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnny d (Post 1031104)
All 3 officials had money on Auburn. They all were in a hurry to catch a flight. All their whistles broke at the exact same time. Maybe they didn't think there was a foul to be called.

Have you seen a replay of this. If those officials seriously did not feel a foul should be called, they shouldn't be working higher than the guys I had to watch last week that called 3 seconds with the ball in the back court or 5 seconds on a player holding the ball in the back court (It was a girls MS wRECk league game).

This would have easily been called a foul at any other point in the game. #1 for Auburn has his arm holding down the arm of the Florida player as he goes up for a shot attempt to tie the game. Terrible miss by the officials on this.

Raymond Sun Mar 17, 2019 09:04am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1031101)

How is no foul called?

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=26281370

I know how I would have officiated it and where the whistle should have came from.

What say you?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Raymond Sun Mar 17, 2019 09:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1031106)
Have you seen a replay of this. If those officials seriously did not feel a foul should be called, they shouldn't be working higher than the guys I had to watch last week that called 3 seconds with the ball in the back court or 5 seconds on a player holding the ball in the back court (It was a girls MS wRECk league game).

This would have easily been called a foul at any other point in the game. #1 for Auburn has his arm holding down the arm of the Florida player as he goes up for a shot attempt to tie the game. Terrible miss by the officials on this.

Do you think the Trail official is in a position to see that hold?

Also, I don't think it's still a rule, but at one point holding the ball while closely guarded for 5 seconds was a violation anywhere on the court in NCAA Women's basketball

johnny d Sun Mar 17, 2019 09:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1031106)

Yes I saw the play. Yes, the entire post was sarcastic. The L, thinking the game was over, decided to take the play off and was not in position to see the foul. Not sure what the C was looking at, perhaps he actually did have money on Auburn.

Rich Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1031114)
Auburn secures win after baffling no-call on final play - ESPN Video

I know how I would have officiated it and where the whistle should have came from.

What say you?

I watched it twice and am not going to watch it more, so if I'm wrong, so be it.

C foul, before the shot.

JRutledge Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:21am

I do not have a foul. I have a hand all over the ball first. A player is surrounded by players. Not calling that in that situation. Sorry, I am not.

Peace

AremRed Mon Mar 18, 2019 01:02am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1031155)
I do not have a foul. I have a hand all over the ball first. A player is surrounded by players. Not calling that in that situation. Sorry, I am not.

Not calling "that" meaning the foul that happened? :D

I showed this to some refs last night and got a 50/50 response on foul vs no foul. I pretty clearly have a foul. If ball goes down, it's a blocked shot. If ball goes up and down with hand still on the ball, it's a held ball. If the hand starts on the ball like this but the hand slides off the ball and onto the arm (what happened in this play), it's a foul.

JRutledge Mon Mar 18, 2019 08:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1031157)
Not calling "that" meaning the foul that happened? :D

I showed this to some refs last night and got a 50/50 response on foul vs no foul. I pretty clearly have a foul. If ball goes down, it's a blocked shot. If ball goes up and down with hand still on the ball, it's a held ball. If the hand starts on the ball like this but the hand slides off the ball and onto the arm (what happened in this play), it's a foul.

If that play happens in the middle of the 1st half, I am still not calling that a foul. They are all over the ball. He is surrounded by defenders. The only thing I would consider is the held ball, but not sure that fits in the college rules.

Peace

bucky Mon Mar 18, 2019 09:15am

I kinda liked the no call. Player dribbles into a mess, a triple team, and tries to jack some heave. Ball is played cleanly and no one can get a good look anyway due to traffic. Silly of player to do that, should have passed the ball.

Camron Rust Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1031157)
l. If the hand starts on the ball like this but the hand slides off the ball and onto the arm (what happened in this play), it's a foul.

Agree....getting the ball first doesn't give a player the right to subsequently hit the arm if the shooter is able to push the ball through the defender's hand....foul!

Nevadaref Mon Mar 18, 2019 02:16pm

Did any of you watch the postgame interview given by Bruce Pearl?
He stated that they desired to foul prior to the 3pt attempt, but the first guy there screwed up and didn’t understand the instruction so was late in attempting to foul. By the time the second player came over and contacted the Florida player (and the video shows clear and solid contact on the shooter’s left forearm) the offensive player was already into the shot attempt. Pearl said that they were very fortunate that the officials didn’t whistle it.

JRutledge Mon Mar 18, 2019 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1031101)
How is no foul called?

Clearer view of the play.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tXxuHD6iYCw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

sdoebler Tue Mar 19, 2019 09:46am

It is a clear foul. On a side note I think Mike White is a class act.