The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Player goes OOB intentionally..kinda (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104434-player-goes-oob-intentionally-kinda.html)

bucky Sat Mar 09, 2019 01:01am

Player goes OOB intentionally..kinda

Friend showed me a video. NFHS.

After a time-out, Team A has a designated spot throw-in on one side of the endline, near corner. After official hands ball to A1, A2, thinking it was an endline run throw-in, runs out of bounds on exact opposite side of A1 on endline. A2 is looking for pass from A1 and then, realizing her mistake, steps inbounds. Play continues.

Do you call a violation on A2 and award the ball to Team B?

Nevadaref Sat Mar 09, 2019 03:16am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1030990)

After a time-out, Team A has a designated spot throw-in on one side of he endline, near corner. After official hands ball to A1, A2, thinking it was an endline run throw-in, runs out of bounds on exact opposite side of A1 on endline. A2 is looking for pass from A1 and then, realizing her mistake, steps inbounds. Play continues.

It is a violation for a teammate of the thrower to be out of bounds during a designated-spot throw-in.

Raymond Sat Mar 09, 2019 06:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1030990)

After a time-out, Team A has a designated spot throw-in on one side of he endline, near corner. After official hands ball to A1, A2, thinking it was an endline run throw-in, runs out of bounds on exact opposite side of A1 on endline. A2 is looking for pass from A1 and then, realizing her mistake, steps inbounds. Play continues.

What if A3 then steps OOB, do you call 2 violations?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Freddy Sat Mar 09, 2019 07:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1030992)

Yes, this a false double violation with each infraction penalized in the order of occurrence. Clear the lanes and award two consecutive throw-ins to Team B, the first a designated spot throw-in, the second to be determined based on the AP arrow.
:)

It's been a long season.

bucky Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1030991)
It is a violation for a teammate of the thrower to be out of bounds during a designated-spot throw-in.

With all due respect Nevada, you did not answer the question.

Let's add more details to the play: Team B is winning by over 30 points, it is midway through the 4th quarter, A2 rarely gets a chance to play, there is no defensive pressure, and the Team A coach, as well as A1 are yelling at A2 to get back inbounds.

Still going to call the violation?

bucky Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:15am

Quote:

Yes, because just like a third direct Technical, it is warranted by the rule book. I am sure that Cam, CC, and Billy would all agree, lol.

Camron Rust Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:51am

Quote:

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Don't be silly. It is no longer a throwin, but perhaps you don't know that.

Nevadaref Sat Mar 09, 2019 02:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1030995)

Let's add more details to the play: Team B is winning by over 30 points, it is midway through the 4th quarter, A2 rarely gets a chance to play, there is no defensive pressure, and the Team A coach, as well as A1 are yelling at A2 to get back inbounds.

When the game is competively over, I’ve been known to put the whistle away.

bob jenkins Sat Mar 09, 2019 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1030997)
Don't be silly. It is no longer a throwin, but perhaps you don't know that.

I assume he meant to use a blue font.

crosscountry55 Sat Mar 09, 2019 06:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1030995)

Oh for Pete’s sake. Did you seriously just bait us with a generality so that you could subsequently criticize a perfectly accurate answer to your question?

Party foul.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk