The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 06, 2019, 03:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge would never tell us this himself, but for the new guys on the Forum, JRutledge has worked state finals in (at least) one other sport.

Maybe that's why, in an "and one" situation, he will often say, "First down" instead of, "One shot".
For clarification, I have worked 2 football state finals, one baseball state final and this will be my 3rd Basketball State Final.

I would only mention that because it is rare and got a lot of help and have been blessed to that it took place. I would rather say that I was fortunate to have a few people help me along that way. I do not take that for granted at all.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 06, 2019, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Chip Off The Old Block ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I am the only African-American to do all those things too. Just trying to follow in the footsteps of my mom, who just got honored herself for an award in her country along with many other awards named after her or she has been honored recently. I have big shoes to fill.
She must be very proud.

When I started officiating basketball thirty-eight years ago we had only a half dozen African-American officials (one who was our president) and no female officials on my local board.

At our next local meeting we will have our first female president (who also happens to be African-American) and our first female interpreter (who also happens to be African-American).

My daughter, who is now 34 years old, played a lot of high level basketball over many years and never once had a female official working any of her games.

Variety is the spice of life.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Mar 06, 2019 at 04:55pm.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2019, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I figured Mark was up to something when he asked me what association gave me this honor.

It was a total shock and did not realize that was going to happen.

Well, I might as well say something else that was shocked about. I have been assigned to work my 3rd IHSA State Final in 3A-4A Boys (6 overall) the weekend of March 15 and 16. Looking forward to this for sure. Been a great week so far. Just trying to get through the morning with all the calls and text.

Peace
Shocked to be working a 6th? SMH.

Nice work!

Last edited by bucky; Wed Mar 06, 2019 at 11:15pm.
Old Wed Mar 06, 2019, 11:46pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Shocked to be working a 6th? SMH.

Nice work!
Actually yes!!! But not because it was my 6th overall (this has nothing to do with my other sports), because it was my 3rd and considering what my assignments last year, I did not expect to work that far in the postseason. You would honestly have to be in our system to get that level of understanding. There is a process that happens and it looked like it was going to be a long wait.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Kind of sorta. They usually do not allow you to work more than 3 in most sports. Sports like football they do not care if you work multiple ones, as they usually do not penalize a crew because the other guys have never worked a State Final. But in basketball where we have the most numbers of any sport, you likely will only work 3 total. Not a hard fast rule, but usually ends when you are assigned your 3rd trip. This is likely the end for me. Some people think I could go back, but who knows.

BTW, the 6 total is in all my sports. I am only the 10th I believe in state history to work the State Finals in Boys Basketball, Football, and Baseball in the history of the IHSA. I am the 4th person in the Chicagoland area to do that as well. One of the guys that did this worked the Super Bowl as a Replay guy (worked in the Big Ten for years) and another guy is in the National Federation Hall of Fame (this past year was honored). Three of the people to do this belonged to the same organization at one time, the oldest Official's Association in the country, the Athletic Officials Association. I am just honored to have done something not many have one. And I am the only African-American to do all those things too. Just trying to follow in the footsteps of my mom, who just got honored herself for an award in her country along with many other awards named after her or she has been honored recently. I have big shoes to fill.

Peace
Interesting.

If you are potentially capped at 3 finals appearances, does the desire to go out and work diminish knowing that you cannot work the pinnacle game of the season?
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 12:32pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
Interesting.

If you are potentially capped at 3 finals appearances, does the desire to go out and work diminish knowing that you cannot work the pinnacle game of the season?
It does for some. I am not in love with it, but I also understand. It gives different officials a chance to work it. Many are deserving. But I get that we also lose some good people at a certain point of their career as a result.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 01:22pm
beware big brother

Many of the people working downstate are fat, old, and out of shape. They should have worked downstate 5-7 years before they actually make it there, when they actually were good officials. By the time they are done with their 3rd trip, they need to be put out to pasture anyway. JRut is one of the few that doesn't fall into this category.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 01:25pm
beware big brother

Also, because most of the best teams, especially in the two larger divisions are from Chicago or the Chicago suburbs, the downstate games, are not necessarily the pinnacle of the season. Often, the two best teams will have faced off earlier in the playoffs. The IHSA likes to have geographically diverse final four, rather than the 4 best teams in each division.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Three Sports ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... JRutledge has worked state finals in (at least) one other sport. Maybe that's why, in an "and one" situation, he will often say, "First down" instead of, "One shot".
Or why, in another situation, he may say, "Ground rule double" instead of, "Two shots".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Many go out of their way to NOT work the state tournament. The pay is much lower than regular season games, travel distances are greater, more time is involved, and the prestige is non-existent for them. I have known many that were asked out of necessity and they turned them down/back.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It does for some. I am not in love with it, but I also understand. It gives different officials a chance to work it. Many are deserving. But I get that we also lose some good people at a certain point of their career as a result.

Peace
I understand both sides of capping guys. I'm not sure I could continue to work as many games knowing that you have no chance of being rewarded with the big games at the end of the season.

I think all of us put up with some really bad basketball at times during the season. You hope for post season rewards to make the season worth it.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 04:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Many go out of their way to NOT work the state tournament. The pay is much lower than regular season games, travel distances are greater, more time is involved, and the prestige is non-existent for them. I have known many that were asked out of necessity and they turned them down/back.
Where I am from the state tourney is a very big deal and what everybody works for. The pay is not great, but the prestige and recognition is a big deal.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 04:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Interesting.

Perhaps, but on the flip side, capping it at 3 would make others stick around since they know they may have an opportunity.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 04:57pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Where I am from the state tourney is a very big deal and what everybody works for. The pay is not great, but the prestige and recognition is a big deal.
The pay for my state tournament games this year is actually slightly higher than a regular season varsity game. We also get paid mileage and officials from outside a certain distance get reimbursed for a hotel room. Of course, the later two don't really matter to me, since all three state tournament sites are within 5 miles of my house.
Old Thu Mar 07, 2019, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Perhaps, but on the flip side, capping it at 3 would make others stick around since they know they may have an opportunity.

I understand, but you earn your opportunity by your performance during the season.

I wouldn't want to earn an opportunity because other guys are capped.

I know there are only so many slots available at the end of the season, but I would hope that any selection committee, or assignor, or whatever would be smart enough to spread out post season selections to worthy officials. Not just give it to guys because other guys are capped. Even without caps, you don't have to give it to the same guys every year. There are other qualified officials that deserve opportunities. I just don't believe in a cap.