The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Wrong number (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104405-wrong-number.html)

northbendon Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:37pm

Wrong number

A1 starts the game with the wrong numbered uniform ( him and is twin brother switched jerseys on accident)3 mins into the game he fouls and it’s discovered. What do you have?
Rules reference please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Maeder Fri Feb 22, 2019 02:43am

Change them both in the book and administer an administrative tech. 10-1-2c pen.

northbendon Fri Feb 22, 2019 08:04am

Even tho it was discovered after the ball became live. I thought the score keeper would have to catch it before the jump ball to start the game

bob jenkins Fri Feb 22, 2019 08:33am

Quote:

Originally Posted by northbendon (Post 1030562)
Even tho it was discovered after the ball became live. I thought the score keeper would have to catch it before the jump ball to start the game

That's true for some Ts, but not this one.

northbendon Fri Feb 22, 2019 08:46am

10-1-2c says when they occur

10-1-2e says when discovered( for identical numbers) can’t have to players with same number

My thought is it’s to late to penalize

Raymond Fri Feb 22, 2019 09:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by northbendon (Post 1030560)
A1 starts the game with the wrong numbered uniform ( him and is twin brother switched jerseys on accident)3 mins into the game he fouls and it’s discovered. What do you have?
Rules reference please

Nothing. Both numbers are in the book and both numbers have the same last name annotated next to them.

Should have had a T before the ball became live for not having the correct starter marked.

BillyMac Fri Feb 22, 2019 09:43am

Binomial Nomenclature ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1030565)
Nothing. Both numbers are in the book and both numbers have the same last name annotated next to them.

I'm not certain that this (nothing stated about first names) fulfills the purpose and intent of the rule. However, I'm not sure we could penalize two players with the same first and last names, even less sure about two players with same first, middle, and last names. Where does it end?

10-1: A team shall not:
ART. 1 Fail to supply the scorer with the name and number of each
team member who may participate and designate the five starting players at
least 10 minutes before the scheduled starting time.
PENALTY: (Art. 1) One foul for both requirements. Penalized when it
occurs.
ART. 2 After the 10-minute time limit specified in Article 1:
c. Require the scorer to change a team member’s or player’s number
in the scorebook.
d. Require a player to change to the number in the scorebook.

ChuckS Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1030565)

When players have the same last name, there needs to be more in the book than just last names. First name or initial, whichever works.

bob jenkins Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:15am

Quote:

Originally Posted by northbendon (Post 1030564)
10-1-2c says when they occur

And it "occurs" when the scorer is required to change the number.

northbendon Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:29am

I think it “occurred “ when the game started and wasn’t caught by official scorer.

Then during the game it was discovered.

Nothing to late?

SC Official Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:34am

Quote:

Originally Posted by northbendon (Post 1030569)
I think it “occurred “ when the game started and wasn’t caught by official scorer.

Then during the game it was discovered.

Nothing to late?

You thought wrong.

The only infraction that, in order to be penalized, must be discovered before the ball becomes live to start the game is changing a designated starter.

The fact that an administrative T is assessed almost every time the book has to be fixed in the middle of a game should tell you something.

northbendon Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:47am

Would if it was never discovered and he played the whole first half and didn’t play in the second half

Raymond Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by northbendon (Post 1030571)
Would if it was never discovered and he played the whole first half and didn’t play in the second half

If the player had continued to play with the number he already had on his back, what change would have been needed in the book? What was listed next to the number he was wearing and the number his brother was wearing?

northbendon Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:00am

That’s my thought to Ray

The only time you would have a T is when/if the brother on the bench checked in

BillyMac Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:03pm

You Make The Call ...

Home scorebook says (these are the names and numbers that were submitted on time):
#22 Smith, John
#23 Smith, Michael

John is actually wearing #23 and Mike is actually wearing #22.

Neither has played. Both are on the bench when the error is discovered three minutes into the game. You make the call.

Mike has played. Both are on the bench when the error is discovered three minutes into the game. You make the call.

Mike is in the game when the error is discovered three minutes into the game. You make the call.