The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NCAA-M Administrative T? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104395-ncaa-m-administrative-t.html)

Fuelrider Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:03am

NCAA-M Administrative T?

No TO left USD Calls TO with none left. GU shoots 2 and USD gets the ball back in the same spot? This doesn't make any sense. That's almost a free TO and get the ball back. In High School it's a turnover as well as 2 shots. Did they do it right?

Camron Rust Sun Feb 17, 2019 02:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuelrider (Post 1030402)
No TO left USD Calls TO with none left. GU shoots 2 and USD gets the ball back in the same spot? This doesn't make any sense. That's almost a free TO and get the ball back. In High School it's a turnover as well as 2 shots. Did they do it right?

Giving the other team 2 FTs isn't free.

Raymond Sun Feb 17, 2019 08:48am

Quote:

All NCAA Men's technicals are POI, except dead ball contact and flagrant. Administrative T's are usually only 1 shot, but excessive TO and 6 men on the court are 2 free throws.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SC Official Sun Feb 17, 2019 09:14am

Quote:

How is giving the other team two FT’s “free”?

In HS all T’s are two shots and the ball, not just excessive TO.

FWIW I believe that in NCAA-W and the NBA, the offended team does get possession for this infraction.

bob jenkins Sun Feb 17, 2019 09:29am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1030410)

FWIW I believe that in NCAA-W and the NBA, the offended team does get possession for this infraction.

Correct for NCAA-W; the offended team gets the ball at POI

crosscountry55 Sun Feb 17, 2019 02:32pm

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe the idea of lessening the impact of an excessive timeout came after the 1993 Chris Webber debacle in the national championship game. Two points and the ball effectively ended the game in that case, making for an anticlimactic finish to what had been an outstanding game. The feeling afterward was that the FTs are by all means warranted, but that there should be some way for the offending team to keep possession. This may have been the genesis of the trend toward using POI for most technical fouls. The college game (especially on the men's side) wanted T's to have less bite. That trend continued a few years ago when the shift to 1 shot vice 2 for Class Bs was instituted in NCAA-M.

In high school, on the other hand, things have never changed and probably never will. The NFHS rules committee wants technicals to remain an anathema, partly in order to incentivize sportsmanship (arguably a bigger priority in high school sports than college), and partly in order to keep the rules simple and consistent at the HS level.

deecee Sun Feb 17, 2019 03:15pm

OOOOO It's that time of year....

Altor Sun Feb 17, 2019 08:16pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SC Official (Post 1030410)

This showed up in my Youtube recommended list this week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Od2wgHLq69U

BillyMac Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:41am

You Can Look It Up ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1030435)

Nice video. Thanks Altor.