The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block/Charge or something else (Video) (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104375-block-charge-something-else-video.html)

JRutledge Tue Feb 12, 2019 01:25am

Block/Charge or something else (Video)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2UiM7cmaOkw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Peace

Camron Rust Tue Feb 12, 2019 03:36am

Not sure how you could get anything but a charge on that if you're applying the actual rules. Defender had LGP long before contact (way outside of RA) and was moving legally to maintain it.

JRutledge Tue Feb 12, 2019 03:46am

I think you can make a case that there was contact before the block/charge play. Again, not an easy play and maybe not the right official making the call either. But a tough play nonetheless.

Peace

Pantherdreams Tue Feb 12, 2019 08:09am

If that call is on the primary defender I'm ok with it. If the block is on the secondary defender that's rough.

Raymond Tue Feb 12, 2019 09:08am

Only possible defensive foul on this play would be a push from behind by the primary defender, which only could have been called by the Center official. W15 did nothing illegal.

MechanicGuy Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:44am

I think there is a travel before the PC, he goes left-left on the hop.

But it's definitely not a block.

JRutledge Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1030147)
I think there is a travel before the PC, he goes left-left on the hop.

But it's definitely not a block.

That was a jump stop attempt. I saw nothing that I would call a travel here. And he never really lands before the contact.

Peace

bucky Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:28pm

Easy charge, C official flinched his left arm and, IMO, was about to signal a PC.

Rufus Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:34pm

Where was C?

That's got to be his call all the way doesn't it? Speculation only but, maybe as he's trying to sort out call/no-call on the initial bump, he brain-locks on the player control?

Ok, just rewatched and he was transitioning from T to C so may have picked it up late. Nightmare scenario really as L was either moving too or had already done so when the play developed.

Raymond Tue Feb 12, 2019 02:47pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rufus (Post 1030154)
That's got to be his call all the way doesn't it? Speculation only but, maybe as he's trying to sort out call/no-call on the initial bump, he brain-locks on the player control?

Ok, just rewatched and he was transitioning from T to C so may have picked it up late. Nightmare scenario really as L was either moving too or had already done so when the play developed.

I'm completely perplexed as to the positioning of the officials when the video starts. The Lead is pinched on the paint opposite the ball. The Trail is still FTLE and moving up as if the Lead had just rotated. The Center is on ball above the 28' line. I'm venturing that the Lead started a rotation that he should have aborted and should have went back ball-side.

ilyazhito Tue Feb 12, 2019 04:37pm

Before the block/charge play, I have a push by White 5. The contact caused the Blue player to crash into his opponent, so Blue will receive the ball on the endline, with 20 seconds on the shot clock.

#olderthanilook Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:56am

C does not have a push or illegal hands against the primary defender that was beaten off the dribble by A1 coming out of his PCA.

L calls a block, but I'm not sure why. B2 obtains LGP long before contact by A1.

Raymond Sat Feb 16, 2019 03:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1030174)
I'm completely perplexed as to the positioning of the officials when the video starts. The Lead is pinched on the paint opposite the ball. The Trail is still FTLE and moving up as if the Lead had just rotated. The Center is on ball above the 28' line. I'm venturing that the Lead started a rotation that he should have aborted and should have gone back ball-side.

To answer my own question. The Lead had clearly rotated. The old T/new C was slow in moving to C positioning. The ball then came back right in his lap and he stayed on the matchup.

BillyMac Sat Feb 16, 2019 04:42pm

A Mark Goodson & Bill Todman Production ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1030390)
To answer my own question.

That's my line.