The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 01:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
Call more Technicals. They are a part of the game. We need to make them less "Taboo".

I see too many officials take too much crap. Especially in sub-varsity games.
That would be great if all assigners would stand behind their officials instead of kowtowing to coaches. Too many assigners run their operation in fear of losing their job and assume something wasn't handled properly when a coach gets whacked.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That would be great if all assigners would stand behind their officials instead of kowtowing to coaches. Too many assigners run their operation in fear of losing their job and assume something wasn't handled properly when a coach gets whacked.
I agree, this could be a problem. Where guys are independent, the fear of not getting a contract offer next season is also real.

If everyone just handled their business, neither would be an issue.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
In "fan" speak which coaches fall into. The implication that "that's why the Saint's lost" because many people "believe" that the officials wanted the Rams to win and Saints to lose. This implies bias. This is the meaning behind saying this.

"This is why the other team is winning." = The refs are showing favoritism.

I have 0 patience for this BS and any official at any level that T's a coach up for this type of behavior, in my experience, is backed by their assignor. At this youth, play for fun, level it's different because there aren't any real expectations. But the meaning behind what was said is very clear.

I can see a coach trying to be humorous with saying things like this. But they usually say it to your face in a joking manner and it's framed with other content.

As a standalone it's a T in my book.
I 100% agree with you on a T if you believe the comment was intended to imply bias, favoritism, cheating, etc. I guess my difference comes from having had several discussions with a variety of people and not once have those issues been suggested. Most discussions I’ve had start with shock that a call like that could be missed and several eventually led to the refs being called clueless or incompetent but I can’t recall one conversation about it being fixed, cheating, bias, etc.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:09pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefsNCoaches View Post

One of his comments while I was in front of his bench at T position was "This is how the Saint's lost", talking to his assistant coach but I knew what he was referring to......and then on the very next play at his end of the floor L had a no call in the lane and he says, "You can't be serious!!!???"

At this point one of 2 things happens

- If coach has otherwise conducted himself decently: "OK Coach, you got away with the Rams/Saints statement, but now I'm not tolerating anymore of that kind of talk".

- If coach is typically a d!ck: I'm issuing a book warning (or in a college game, telling my partners this coach has been warned).
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I 100% agree with you on a T if you believe the comment was intended to imply bias, favoritism, cheating, etc. I guess my difference comes from having had several discussions with a variety of people and not once have those issues been suggested. Most discussions I’ve had start with shock that a call like that could be missed and several eventually led to the refs being called clueless or incompetent but I can’t recall one conversation about it being fixed, cheating, bias, etc.
You've never heard "you're costing us the game." or "He/they are out to get us." or my favorite "It's 7 on 5 today."

After 15ish years I've heard it all, until I hear the NEXT absurd thing that is.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 06:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You've never heard "you're costing us the game." or "He/they are out to get us." or my favorite "It's 7 on 5 today."

After 15ish years I've heard it all, until I hear the NEXT absurd thing that is.
I’ve heard it but not in reference to the Saints game, which is my point. If there were widespread speculation that the refs were cheating or on the take or something like that, then I could see that undoubtedly being the implication.
Old Wed Jan 30, 2019, 06:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

You Can't Be Serious ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
At least he didn't call you Shirley!
It took me two days, but I finally got it.

Never thought to look at the title.

Now, where are my reading glasses?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 07:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
I’ve heard it but not in reference to the Saints game, which is my point. If there were widespread speculation that the refs were cheating or on the take or something like that, then I could see that undoubtedly being the implication.
No kidding? There was an article on ESPN and some of the talking "empty" heads were up in arms that 4 of the super bowl officials live in SoCal.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 01:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
No kidding? There was an article on ESPN and some of the talking "empty" heads were up in arms that 4 of the super bowl officials live in SoCal.
And on CBS Sports. And Yahoo. And Deadspin. It was all over the place mid to late last week, and bias was the implication.
Old Thu Jan 31, 2019, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I’m pretty sure I saw that article on ESPN and I think the slant of the article was that while yes some people have latched onto the fact that 4 guys are from South California, the bigger issue is the perception problem the NFL created for itself. I think we can all agree that is an issue based on the countless threads about dealing with perception issues when taking assignments on our level. I’m not saying nobody anywhere has suggested bias or cheating. I’m just saying I haven’t seen anything widespread and I haven’t had an in person conversation with a single person that has made any such implication about the refs.

I’m not saying there aren’t some that have spewed conspiracy theories, but from my personal perspective, I haven’t heard or seen enough for me to immediately link that comment to an implication of cheating, bias, etc. Maybe I’m naive or not jaded or paranoid enough to go there, but I honestly didn’t when I read the OP. I asked my initial question because I honestly didn’t go there with my interpretation of the comment, but anyone on the other side of the spectrum on this can certainly issue a T as it’s a judgement situation.