The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Fake To The Face ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104216-fake-face.html)

BillyMac Thu Dec 20, 2018 05:51pm

Fake To The Face ...

A1 receives a pass and is guarded closely by B1.

A1 fakes a pass into B1's face, with the ball stopping inches away from B1's nose.

B1 flinches and A1 drives by B1 for a layup.

No contact.

Anything?

One officiates for almost four decades, been to lots, and lots, of rodeos, been around the block many, many times, and thinks that one has seen everything, and then something like this happens.

Nevadaref Thu Dec 20, 2018 06:24pm

You are going to get two answers: nothing and unsporting technical foul.
Use your experience and judgment to decide which is appropriate for your specific situation.

bucky Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:26pm

Going by the literal words that you used, this seems easy.

"A1 fakes a pass into B1's face" = unsporting. One could use the case play of a throw-in where inbounder does same to defender. Is it ever not unsporting to fake anything at someone's face?

SNIPERBBB Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:39pm

Which case play is that? There is only holding/waving hands in front of someone's face and bouncing a ball off a defender's face that is mentioned in the case book.

Now if it's a dead ball period and someone does this, I could consider that as unsporting.

BillyMac Fri Dec 21, 2018 08:03am

Buy Or Sell ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1027546)
You are going to get two answers: nothing and unsporting technical foul.

Prophetic.

Got any stock market predictions?

For the record, next dead ball I told the player to "cut that out" (with apologies to Jack Benny), not knowing if I had any rule basis, I just bluffed my way through it. Speak with confidence and authority to a teenager and they'll believe you (some of the time, not all of the time).

Raymond Fri Dec 21, 2018 08:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB (Post 1027553)
Which case play is that? ....

Good luck with that question.

bob jenkins Fri Dec 21, 2018 08:58am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1027546)
Use your experience and judgment to decide which is appropriate for your specific situation.

Good luck with that.

so cal lurker Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:18am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1027555)

Got any stock market predictions?

The market will go up or down.

ballgame99 Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:55am

In order to call this unsporting it would matter to me if this pass fake was done in a threatening manner or if it was a pass fake in the normal course of the game. Absent any contact, I have nothing.

BillyMac Fri Dec 21, 2018 01:11pm

As Clear As The Nose On His Face ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 1027577)
In order to call this unsporting it would matter to me if this pass fake was done in a threatening manner or if it was a pass fake in the normal course of the game.

The fake pass was aimed directly at B1's face, with the ball stopping only inches away from B1's nose. That's why B1 flinched. If I was B1, I also would have flinched.

cmcramer Sat Dec 22, 2018 08:42am

Kobe Don't flinch...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUdLLdR8Pow

Raymond Sat Dec 22, 2018 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmcramer (Post 1027628)

Another angle of this play showed that the ball was actually to the side of Kobe's face and not directed at his face.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Fri Dec 28, 2018 02:36pm

It Happened Again ...

This happened today:

A1 is handed the ball for a throwin.
B1 is guarding A1 and is right up to the boundary plane, not on it, not over it.
A1 fakes a pass into B1's face, with the ball stopping inches away from B1's nose.
B1 flinches and A1 makes as successful inbounds pass to A2.
No contact.

Anything?

During the next dead ball clock stopped situation I spoke the player telling her it was unsporting and not to do it again.

Is there rule backing for an unsporting technical foul, and if so, should we charge such?

Camron Rust Fri Dec 28, 2018 08:45pm

Threatening harm to another player is certainly unsporting. Faking a ball to the face can certainly be interpreted as threatening harm. There is no other purpose for it.

ODog Sat Dec 29, 2018 01:12am

Funny this thread is going on right now, because I had this variation last night in BV game:

A1 pressured in backcourt by B1.
A1, holding ball with both hands, takes it and bangs B1 on top of the head with it.

Trail official administering 10-second count -- and probably too on top of the action to have a great look -- gives a quizzical furrowed-brow expression like, "Did I really just see that?!"

I'm the C and come in with an unsporting T when I realize he isn't certain what occurred.

Everybody good with that? I am, but since this thread resurfaced today, might as well poll the peanut gallery.