The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Short Notice Cancellation (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104211-short-notice-cancellation.html)

The_Rookie Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:45am

Short Notice Cancellation

Recently had a game cancelled 3 hours before tip off and prior to arriving at the game. Game was cancelled because other team did not have enough players to play.

Under this scenario, in your local areas, do you get a half a game fee or whole game fee for short notice cancellation?

If you bug out on a hotel room or dentist appointment you would be charged!

Rich Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rookie (Post 1027439)
Recently had a game cancelled 3 hours before tip off and prior to arriving at the game. Game was cancelled because other team did not have enough players to play.

Under this scenario, in your local areas, do you get a half a game fee or whole game fee for short notice cancellation?

I would pay my officials. As an official I would be asking for payment since I couldn't accept any other game at that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:01pm

It use to be in the OhioHSAA contracts that if the game was canceled after the officials left for the game they were to be paid the entire game fee. But without telling anyone the OhioHSAA changed its contracts about five years ago such that only if the game was canceled after the officials arrived were they to get paid. Mark, Jr., and I learned about the contract language change the hard way: We were 45 minutes into a 90 minute drive to officiate a girls' JV basketball game on a Saturday afternoon when we were called by the Home AD. The Visitors, were only a 20 minute drive from the Home school, canceled the game because the parents of the Visitors thought it was too cold, :eek:, to travel in a school bus.

MTD, Sr.

BillyMac Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:26pm

Canceled Games ...

Quote:

Recently had a game canceled 3 hours before tip off and prior to arriving at the game. Game was canceled because other team did not have enough players to play. Under this scenario, in your local areas, do you get a half a game fee or whole game fee for short notice cancellation?

If we show up at the site, we get the full fee. Canceled before we get there, no fee.

Almost forty years ago I had a freshman assignment, got to the site, home team was there, my partner was there, got dressed, and waited. Some snow showers came through the state and the visiting team decided not to make the bus ride. Both of us got full fees. Since the home team was dressed and ready to go, I asked the head varsity coach if he wanted me to hang around and officiate a couple of intrasquad scrimmage periods. For years after that he never gave me any problems, even though he was known as a hothead. A little good will goes a long way.

Also in ancient times, before cell phones were invented, I had a junior varsity assignment on a Saturday night. Started snowing in mid afternoon. I called the school and, of course, on a Saturday, there's nobody there. I called my assigner, nobody home (Christmas shopping). Figuring (correctly) bad road conditions, I leave about forty-five minutes earlier than I normally would for this site. I get there, no game, but the junior varsity cheerleading coach is there, and the police officer (who stands in the corner) is there, they hadn't been contacted. I get home hours later (the ride home was really treacherous) and my wife tells me that the school called to cancel about thirty minutes after I had left home. I called my assigner, told me he would get back to me early the next week. He did, telling me that because the school called me (they said that I had left home too early) they weren't going to pay me. My assigner said that it was out of his hands, the one and only time that he ever disappointed me.

Now, with Arbiter access to athletic director's email and cell phone numbers, we are advised to call if we think that there may be weather related cancellations, and of course, they have Arbiter access to our email and cell phone numbers.

In my new life as a subvarsity official (thank God that they only shoot horses in my condition), retired from my day job, I did my first ever board assigned middle school mid afternoon game yesterday. Visiting team walked in the gym twenty minutes past game time. My partner, a middle school veteran (he's a high school teacher, gets out of work early) told me that once or twice a season middle school teams just don't show up (not due to bad weather, but scheduling errors, bus issues, etc.) but we always still get paid.

By the way, my first ever board assigned middle school game: very late start, no possession arrow at the table, no scorebook at table, just a clipboard with a sheet of blank paper.

I had a blast. Kids were all enthusiastic, coaches coached. I ran an errand on the way home (bought chicken scratch at a feed store near the site) and still got home before 6:00 p.m. with $63.05 in my Arbiter account.

Nevadaref Wed Dec 19, 2018 04:30pm

Nevada pays one game and travel if there is a cancelation after the officials have begun to drive to the game site.
If the school admin can contact the assignor or the officials prior to departure, they won’t be charged anything. Of course, the school needs to have a decent reason for canceling.

Raymond Wed Dec 19, 2018 04:39pm

Quote:

What would the penalty be in your area if the officials had to pull out 3 hour before game time and the game had to be cancelled?

JRutledge Wed Dec 19, 2018 09:01pm

There is not standard or one-size-fits-all policy here. Some schools will pay you anyways. Others barely will send you anything. It really depends on what the assignor demands or what the school feels is fair.

Peace

Rich Thu Dec 20, 2018 07:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1027511)
There is not standard or one-size-fits-all policy here. Some schools will pay you anyways. Others barely will send you anything. It really depends on what the assignor demands or what the school feels is fair.

Peace

I've had this happen with conference games that I assign. I pay those officials when the reasoning isn't what one would call "an act of God."

Last spring an AD forgot about an academic event and the schools agreed to move the game to a later date with about 3 days notice. I sent checks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

BillyMac Thu Dec 20, 2018 05:47pm

Jinxed ...

This thread jinxed me.

As I'm walking into the gym this afternoon (thirty minutes before game time) for a freshman game I get a call from the athletic director canceling the game.

Holiday tournament mix up.

I'm getting paid.

Both teams were there.

I ended up working a four period one person scrimmage.

Was home before 5:00 p.m. and will get a check for $63.05.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Thu Dec 20, 2018 09:11pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1027544)
This thread jinxed me.

As I'm walking into the gym this afternoon (thirty minutes before game time) for a freshman game I get a call from the athletic director canceling the game.

Holiday tournament mix up.

I'm getting paid.

Both teams were there.

I ended up working a four period one person scrimmage.

Was home before 5:00 p.m. and will get a check for $63.05.

$63.05 for a H.S. Freshmen game??!!

MTD, Sr.

Camron Rust Thu Dec 20, 2018 09:45pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1027549)
$63.05 for a H.S. Freshmen game??!!

MTD, Sr.

He did work solo.

Here, an official who works solo on games where there should be two will get 1.5x the normal rate.

ODog Thu Dec 20, 2018 11:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1027550)
He did work solo...

Billy will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm gonna guess $63.05 is the standard 2-person rate for subvarsity in Connecticut, so there was no hazard pay on top.

It's just about that for subvarsity in Mass. too.

BillyMac Fri Dec 21, 2018 07:53am

All Dressed Up With No Place To Go ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ODog (Post 1027552)
Billy will definitely correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm gonna guess $63.05 is the standard 2-person rate for subvarsity in Connecticut.

Correct. Junior varsity. Freshman. Middle school.

We have two middle school leagues that play an "extra" ten minute running time period after the "real" game allowing the kids that didn't get a chance to play in the "real" game a chance to play. Each official gets an additional $15.76. Win for the kids, win for the officials ($78.81), but it's the worst ten minutes of basketball that you've ever seen in your entire life.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camron Rust (Post 1027550)
He did work solo. Here, an official who works solo on games where there should be two will get 1.5x the normal rate.

Correct, 1.5 fee under "normal" one person circumstances. But this wasn't "normal".

In my case, I showed up at the site (actually got the cell phone call canceling the game while I was in the gym looking for someone to unlock the locker room door). My partner never made it to the site, he just stayed home.

I knew that I was getting paid, I could have just got back into my car and gone home. But there were two teams (actually four, both junior varsity teams were also at the site, as well as the freshman teams) on the court, dressed for the game, and table crew (students) was ready to go. Since I already made the ride to the site and planned my day around the game, I figured "What's the rush?", and voluntarily offered to work a few scrimmage periods, it was accepted, and I got dressed.

I hadn't worked a one person game in over thirty years, and had forgotten how physically easy (I've got a bad bone spur in my ankle) it was (free throw line to free throw line), so after one period I offered to work three more (total of two junior varsity and two freshman) periods.

A little bit good will goes a long way. This morning I got a thank you email from both the athletic director and my assigner.

There's nothing wrong with doing it "for the kids" some of the time (as long as it's totally voluntary and just some of the time). Another win win situation, the kids got to play and I got paid to do something that I like to (but didn't have to) do. No need for the extra one half fee for a one person game. It was my choice, I could have just gone home. The 1.5 fee never even entered my mind.

Let the "stone throwing" begin.

mattmets Fri Dec 21, 2018 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1027554)
Correct. Junior varsity. Freshman. Middle school.

We have two middle school leagues that play an "extra" ten minute running time period after the "real" game allowing the kids that didn't get a chance to play in the "real" game a chance to play. Each official gets an additional $15.76. Win for the kids, win for the officials ($78.81), but it's the worst ten minutes of basketball that you've ever seen in your entire life.

Please tell me it's at least with a running clock, like Iowa does it...

BillyMac Fri Dec 21, 2018 04:03pm

The Running Man (1987) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmets (Post 1027614)
Please tell me it's at least with a running clock, like Iowa does it...

Yes it is, an extra ten minute running time period for those players who didn't play in the "real" game, not all middle school games, just two leagues that we work.

Each official gets an additional $15.76.

Officiate ten minutes of the worst basketball one has ever seen in one's life at a rate comparable to $94.56 an hour.

I'll do that any day of the week that ends in "day".

I'll even work these games on days of the week that don't end in "day".

chapmaja Sat Dec 22, 2018 03:14pm

Quote:

We have a new policy put in place this year in my state.

As always, Act of God cancellations do not obligate a school to pay an official unless the official has already left for the event, at which time a partial payment is due if the event hasn't started.

For example, the official (who lives 30 minutes away) is notified three hours before a game that due to weather conditions, the game is cancelled. No payment is due.

If in the same situation, the official is on the way or has arrived but conditions do not permit the contest to start, the officials are due 1/2 a game fee (IIRC, I have never had this happen). If the contest starts and then it is cancelled, a full game fee is due. (Only a fee for game 1 of a multiple game event is due if cancelled during the first game).

What has changed is with non-Act of God cancellations. Per the state association, any of these cancellations outside of 10 days from the event mean no payment due. Any cancellations within 10 days require the payment of the official if the official does not pick up another assignment for that date (must be that date).

This largely came about by volleyball teams overscheduling officials for tourneys and dropping officials when they realized they had too many officials for the number of teams.

I have a few examples of this from my assigning this season (all within 10 days).

1) Team notifies me the day of a meet that the meet is cancelled due to a band concert that night. I pushed for the official to be paid (until another official was sick and bailed and I was able to use the cancelled official as the replacement.)

2) Team notifies me that the meet is cancelled because of a scheduling conflict with the facility for that date. Guess what, I'm pushing for payment for the official. Your inability to schedule your facility isn't a problem my official should be punished for.

3) The one I'm dealing with now was a school having a water main break, which means they can't use the running water at the facility so they cancelled a meet. (They still have the team practicing in the facility though). To me a water main break is an Act of God so I don't think I will pursue this one.

chapmaja Sat Dec 22, 2018 03:21pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1027617)
Yes it is, an extra ten minute running time period for those players who didn't play in the "real" game, not all middle school games, just two leagues that we work.

Each official gets an additional $15.76.

Officiate ten minutes of the worst basketball one has ever seen in one's life at a rate comparable to $94.56 an hour.

I'll do that any day of the week that ends in "day".

I'll even work these games on days of the week that don't end in "day".

A couple leagues around me do it differently. They play 5 "quarters" for MS. The first three require participation of all players and are all running clock periods. The second "half" is normal rules and no required participation. This allows everyone to play while at the same time making part of the game still somewhat realistic (they do have press and defense rules as well depending on the game situation). One of these leagues goes so far as to adjust the score at the beginning of the 2nd half. If a team wins the quarter they get two points, if they tie the quarter each team gets 1 point and if you lose the quarter you get zero. This means the second "half" can start with no more than a 6-0 lead, but can be as low as 3-3 (which is funny for the half in which nobody even scored). The other league uses straight scoring all the way through the 5 periods.

As for the rate of pay for those games. I wish it was closes to the hourly rate you guys get. We don't get close to that for the 5 quarter games we do, or for the 8 minute quarter games some leagues have started using.

ilyazhito Sat Dec 22, 2018 05:11pm

In my experience, if games are cancelled while I am in transit, I am paid half of the game fee ($40 for a JV baseball game, $44 for a varsity baseball game). However, if I am on site, but the game is cancelled without me being notified (I have signed up for Arbiter Connected, so I receive both email updates and text messages about games), I am paid the full game fee ($80 for JV baseball, $88 for varsity baseball). This had also happened to me in other sports, and I was also paid full fees when a game was cancelled without me being notified (once was a softball game when the Maryland School for the Deaf and St. Andrews booked two sets of umpires, both in Frederick (where Maryland School for the Deaf is based) and in Potomac (where St. Andrews is), the game was played in Potomac, but the game assigned in Frederick was not cancelled in the Arbiter).

ODog, is this also the case in your part of MA?

chapmaja Sat Dec 22, 2018 08:14pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1027649)
In my experience, if games are cancelled while I am in transit, I am paid half of the game fee ($40 for a JV baseball game, $44 for a varsity baseball game). However, if I am on site, but the game is cancelled without me being notified (I have signed up for Arbiter Connected, so I receive both email updates and text messages about games), I am paid the full game fee ($80 for JV baseball, $88 for varsity baseball). This had also happened to me in other sports, and I was also paid full fees when a game was cancelled without me being notified (once was a softball game when the Maryland School for the Deaf and St. Andrews booked two sets of umpires, both in Frederick (where Maryland School for the Deaf is based) and in Potomac (where St. Andrews is), the game was played in Potomac, but the game assigned in Frederick was not cancelled in the Arbiter).

ODog, is this also the case in your part of MA?

Some AD's are much better in how they treat officials than others. Personally my favorite AD's are the ones who also have worked or still work as officials, because they know what officials deal with. My least favorites are the ones who are also current coaches in a school because they treat all officials like they treat the officials on their games, and they often are so worried about their sport they neglect the other sports when it comes to officials.

ilyazhito Sat Dec 22, 2018 08:32pm

How is it possible to be an AD and officiate at the same time? Being an Athletic Director is very time-consuming, and there is an automatic conflict of interest with the school that employs you as AD, so I don't imagine that many AD's also officiate.

Still, it is weird that some AD's treat officials better than others. Perhaps some assigners have better relationships with AD's and/or are able to negotiate better contracts, including cancellation pay.

AremRed Sat Dec 22, 2018 08:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilyazhito (Post 1027659)
How is it possible to be an AD and officiate at the same time? Being an Athletic Director is very time-consuming, and there is an automatic conflict of interest with the school that employs you as AD, so I don't imagine that many AD's also officiate.

Still, it is weird that some AD's treat officials better than others. Perhaps some assigners have better relationships with AD's and/or are able to negotiate better contracts, including cancellation pay.

There are several AD's in my area who officiate and one not only officiates but also runs the shot clock at a nearby DIII school. They delegate certain school events to others, which is what most AD's do anyway. I know two AD's of rival schools who have a pact to referee their schools Freshman boys game one day -- that would be a hoot!

sdoebler Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:20am

Randy McCall was an AD at a large school up until a few years ago. There are a number of ADs that officiate

Raymond Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:48am

Quote:

One of my mentors was an AD for years. What's the automatic conflict of interest? There are plenty of games to officiate that don't involve one's school or conference.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BillyMac Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:42pm

Conflict Of Interest ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1027698)
... conflict of interest ...

I retired from teaching middle school and coaching middle school basketball over ten years ago.

Over the past ten years I had a day job that prevented me from doing any mid-afternoon games. I did block out the high school in my system until about two years ago since I was very close to both the boys and girls coaches and the athletic director. After they all moved on I took off the high school block (I've got them on the road after the holidays).

In my new life this year as a subvarsity official, now retired from my day job, I forgot about my middle school. Back when I was there their games were assigned locally, not by my local board's assignment commissioner. It never dawned on me that I would be assigned one of their games.

Sure enough, I got assigned a home game at my middle school. At first I was going to keep it, it's been more than ten years, but I know many teachers, administrators, and both coaching staffs, so I turned back the game, and blocked out boys and girls, home and on the road.

I don't need any headaches, or to lose any sleep. There are plenty fish in the sea.

LRZ Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:47pm

Quote:

Still, it is weird that some AD's treat officials better than others.

I don't think it is weird. Some people, some of whom happen to be ADs, are more thoughtful than others.

SCalScoreKeeper Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:26am

Here once showed up at a site, game was cancelled days before but someone forgot to call our assignor. As it turned out the visiting school had a lockdown situation on campus which also precluded them from traveling. We got half fee.

chapmaja Sat Dec 29, 2018 05:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper (Post 1027742)
Here once showed up at a site, game was cancelled days before but someone forgot to call our assignor. As it turned out the visiting school had a lockdown situation on campus which also precluded them from traveling. We got half fee.

Never had a lockdown situation while at an event or that impact travel to an event. Had a long discussion at a conference swimming championship meet I was the diving referee for a couple years ago though about the timing of the event. Divers are given the time from 8-10 am to warm up before the swimmers get the pool from 10-11:45 and the swimming meet starts at 12:00. Divers then, by league rule get 30 minutes after the swimming concludes to warm up for diving. Dive sheets are due at the start of the diving warm up. At 8:30 the school went into an hour and 15 minute lockdown. This basically took away all the diving warm from the morning session. I made the decision as the diving referee to extend the warm up before the competition and allow the divers extra time to turn in the dive sheets. All the diving coaches agreed, but one of the swimming coaches (who also coordinates a rec league I umpire for) had strong disapproval to my decision.

The only other major problem I had was a swim meet where the concession stand burned popcorn. The fire alarm goes off everyone has to exit the facility, including all the swimmers who are told to immediately exit, in their suits into 40 degree weather. The districts policy requires the fire department to clear the building before anyone can re-enter. We had some very PO'ed swimmers, coaches and parents. The only thing we could do is give them an extended period to warm up after they were allowed to reenter the building.

chapmaja Sat Dec 29, 2018 05:24pm

Quote:

I didn't say they officiated high school. One of them was an AD at a high school while being an official for college basketball. The other is a HS AD and officiates several college sports at the DII, DIII and NAIA levels.

As for the way the AD's treat officials. This boils down to two things. Some areas have AD's who have experience within the sporting community as a coach, official or athletes. Some of them have no experience with sports and are AD's because it was an administrative position within the school district. It is obvious which schools actually care about athletics and which ones care only about $$$$$$$.

ilyazhito Sat Dec 29, 2018 06:37pm

Now it makes more sense, when an AD is an official at a different level, but it is still a big time commitment to be an AD.

BillyMac Sun Dec 30, 2018 12:58pm

No Conflict Of Interest ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1027700)
I retired from teaching middle school and coaching middle school basketball over ten years ago ... I did block out the high school in my system until about two years ago since I was very close to both the boys and girls coaches and the athletic director. After they all moved on I took off the high school block (I've got them on the road after the holidays) ...

Worked my first home town (school system that I taught in, and coached in) high school game ever (almost forty years) yesterday (girls junior varsity), on the road. Didn't know a single person in the stands, didn't know any players, didn't know the junior varsity coach.

It was just another game.

I do know the varsity coach (he's a new official, wants to officiate in the summer, he's a teacher and wants to make some extra money), but from my coaching days (he was at a different high school at the time), we would bump into each other coaching at summer camps, there are more than a few of these coaches in our officiating area, I haven't coached at a summer camp in almost fifteen years.

Home junior varsity coach (whom I also knew from my camp coaching days) yanked my chain during game "Hey BillyMac, didn't you use to teach in (town)?". I replied, "It's been almost fifteen years". He replied (smiling), "Well, OK, no problem, but how about calling them both ways?".

I still block off the middle school that I taught at, and coached at, home and on the road.

WhistlesAndStripes Tue Jan 01, 2019 03:46pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. (Post 1027442)
It use to be in the OhioHSAA contracts that if the game was canceled after the officials left for the game they were to be paid the entire game fee. But without telling anyone the OhioHSAA changed its contracts about five years ago such that only if the game was canceled after the officials arrived were they to get paid. Mark, Jr., and I learned about the contract language change the hard way: We were 45 minutes into a 90 minute drive to officiate a girls' JV basketball game on a Saturday afternoon when we were called by the Home AD. The Visitors, were only a 20 minute drive from the Home school, canceled the game because the parents of the Visitors thought it was too cold, :eek:, to travel in a school bus.

MTD, Sr.

As an official in Alaska, I’d be curious to know what the “too cold” temperature was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillyMac Tue Jan 01, 2019 04:06pm

Spolied Young'uns ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes (Post 1027990)
As an official in Alaska, I’d be curious to know what the “too cold” temperature was.

Why? So that you can make fun of us?

(It was the dreaded Polar Vortex.)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. has had schools in Ohio close due to "cold", we've had the same thing here in Connecticut.

It's the latest dance craze.

And to think, when I was a kid in ancient times, I walked several miles to school in several feet of snow, and back home in the afternoon, uphill both ways.

I drive by the bus stop on the corner on the coldest day of the winter and the kids have on a sweatshirts, shorts, sneakers, and baseball caps.

On cold days, my Mom dressed up my bother and me like the Michelin Man.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.t...=0&w=227&h=182

Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way? What's the matter with kids today? (Bye Bye Birdie, 1960)

chapmaja Thu Jan 03, 2019 01:08am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1027992)
Why? So that you can make fun of us?

(It was the dreaded Polar Vortex.)

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. has had schools in Ohio close due to "cold", we've had the same thing here in Connecticut.

It's the latest dance craze.

And to think, when I was a kid in ancient times, I walked several miles to school in several feet of snow, and back home in the afternoon, uphill both ways.

I drive by the bus stop on the corner on the coldest day of the winter and the kids have on a sweatshirts, shorts, sneakers, and baseball caps.

On cold days, my Mom dressed up my bother and me like the Michelin Man.

https://tse3.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.t...=0&w=227&h=182

Why can't they be like we were, perfect in every way? What's the matter with kids today? (Bye Bye Birdie, 1960)

I lost a bunch of assignments during the polar vortex year a few years ago. The weather closed the schools and most schools have a rule that if the school day is cancelled, so are the athletic events for that day.

I think the biggest issue is schools don't want to be held liable because the parents don't know how to dress their snowflakes. I think we missed 1 or 2 days total due to cold when I was in school, and one of those was due to it being too cold for the busses to start (it was like 20 below that morning).

Altor Thu Jan 03, 2019 01:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1028039)
I think the biggest issue is schools don't want to be held liable because the parents don't know how to dress their snowflakes.

One of the issues mentioned to me was the worry of a boiler breaking down in the school when the temperature is that low. Of course, we were in a very old school building back then.