The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

Delay of Game

Team A spills water on the court at the end of a 30 second time-out. They start cleaning up the spill. How long would you wait before assessing the warning for 'Delay of Game'?
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Team A spills water on the court at the end of a 30 second time-out. They start cleaning up the spill. How long would you wait before assessing the warning for 'Delay of Game'?
If they are cleaning it up, I wouldn't. Only if I have to ask them to clean it up.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 12:50pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Niagara Falls ...

It's in the books. Never seen it called.

Had a team tip over an entire water cooler near the end of halftime intermission. Sure, my partner and I talked about it, but we just waited it out. Now if the opposing coach had complained, then we would have had to enforce.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

A partner called it once, actually a T for a second delay. I thought it was OOO.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 01:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fool Me Once, Shame On You ...

... Fool me twice, shame on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
A partner called it once, actually a T for a second delay.
I could see that, being the second delay. They should have learned their lesson the first time, they obviously didn't.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

I've called it once before when the team was lackadaisical in getting it cleaned up. Additionally the other team had already been given a delay warning, so I couldn't justify ignoring the rule otherwise the coach would've been up my rear.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 02:11pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Context ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I've called it once before when the team was lackadaisical in getting it cleaned up. Additionally the other team had already been given a delay warning, so I couldn't justify ignoring the rule otherwise the coach would've been up my rear.
Context is always an important part of game management.

Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... Fool me twice, shame on me.
I could see that, being the second delay. They should have learned their lesson the first time, they obviously didn't.
The first delay was a throw-in plane violation. Here, the team was about to wipe up the water on the floor, following a 30-second time-out. Two different scenarios, in my book. One was an intentional act, causing delay; the other was not intentional, and, unlike in SC's case, the team was not lackadaisical.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 06:23pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gray Is The New Gray ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
The first delay was a throw-in plane violation. Here, the team was about to wipe up the water on the floor, following a 30-second time-out. Two different scenarios, in my book. One was an intentional act, causing delay; the other was not intentional, and, unlike in SC's case, the team was not lackadaisical.
I thought they spilled water twice. This new information makes it more of a gray area.

Old Wed Dec 05, 2018, 08:30pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
It's in the books. Never seen it called.

I've only called it once in six years.

Someone from the home team spilled a bit of water on the court right as the timeout ended. Had they been able to clean it up right away with little to no delay, I might have passed. However, it took them 2-3 minutes just to get someone with a mop to begin the cleanup, so I saw no choice but to assess the DOG warning as the game was truly delayed.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Thu Dec 06, 2018, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

With apologies to the late Antonin Scalia, context matters (i.e. I agree with BillyMac).

I think the intent of the rule is to keep teams from getting extended timeout time while they clean up a mess. Picture this situation with an assistant coach: "Oops, oh silly me. I just spilled water all over the court. Now I need to go find some towels." Meanwhile, HC keeps talking to his team for 1-2 additional minutes. Yeah, I'd say that would warrant DOG warning.

Whereas if someone clearly spills something by accident, and there doesn't appear to be any attempt to benefit from it vis-à-vis the huddle, I'm probably not issuing the DOG.

P.S. 10 years, never called it. Came close only once.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2018, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Here was the reason for my question.
A 30 second TO was called. Teans are standing on court . Water is handed to them. Partner approaches Team A and informs them to NOT bring water anto the court. The 2nd horn for the TO sounds as teams are breaking huddle a player from Team A throws their bottle/cup towards the bench. Water from the bottle/cup spills onto court.
From the time of the spillage and clean up to the time the DOG warning was at least 45 seconds to a minute.
Thus my question.. How long do you wait?
Old Thu Dec 06, 2018, 01:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Know It When I See It (U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart, 1964) …

Quote:
Partner approaches Team A and informs them to NOT bring water onto the court.
Citation please.

Quote:
How long do you wait?
Great question. Better question is under what circumstances does one officially warn, or charge a technical foul for such a delay?

Context? Completely and innocently accidental, or was it utter stupidity and total carelessness (like throwing a half full paper cup of water)?

I've never warned, nor have I ever charged, but it's still a tool in my black referee tool belt that I may use at some point in the future, but I'm going to have to be there and see it in person to make my decision.

Old Thu Dec 06, 2018, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here was the reason for my question.
A 30 second TO was called. Teans are standing on court . Water is handed to them. Partner approaches Team A and informs them to NOT bring water anto the court. The 2nd horn for the TO sounds as teams are breaking huddle a player from Team A throws their bottle/cup towards the bench. Water from the bottle/cup spills onto court.
From the time of the spillage and clean up to the time the DOG warning was at least 45 seconds to a minute.
Thus my question.. How long do you wait?
1. The teams may drink water in their time-our area. They may also move chairs onto the court in that area. This is a 30 so the five players must remain standing, but anyone else may sit or stand as desired.

2. The answer of how long to wait for the DOG warning is simple. If the team doesn’t have the court ready for play when the second horn sounds then they are delaying the game and have earned a warning.
Old Thu Dec 06, 2018, 03:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Theory Versus Practice ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
If the team doesn’t have the court ready for play when the second horn sounds then they are delaying the game and have earned a warning.
Well stated. Simple and factual explanation. Agree 100% in theory (by the book), but what do you actually see in practice in your little corner of the country?