The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper, 1979) ... (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104177-girls-just-want-have-fun-cyndi-lauper-1979-a.html)

BillyMac Tue Dec 04, 2018 07:08pm

Girls Just Want To Have Fun (Cyndi Lauper, 1983) ...

As the parent of two athletic daughters, I try to be as gender neutral as possible.

Girls varsity scrimmage today. Jump ball gets tapped to two short opponent guards, who both control the ball and a held ball is called. Now the two short opponent guards have to jump it up. Both girls as well as their teammates had big smiles on their faces, neither girl had ever participated as a jumper before. High school, middle school, travel, recreation. Never. Everyone involved had fun and appreciated the experience.

Call me sexist, but I doubt that I would see the same joy in a boys game. I believe that girls often have more fun playing basketball than boys. Not all the time, not all girls or not all boys, but often.

JRutledge Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:01pm

Didn't that song come out in 1985?

Peace

justacoach Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1026733)

Peace

You're both wrong, it was released in 1983 by Cyndi Lauper.

It was on the DJ's playlist for my 30th birthday party.

WhistlesAndStripes Wed Dec 05, 2018 03:00am

"Girls Just Want to Have Fun" is a song written by and first recorded in 1979 by American musician Robert Hazard. It is better known as a single by American singer Cyndi Lauper, whose version was released in 1983.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Altor Wed Dec 05, 2018 09:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1026733)

Peace

Don't feed the troll, JRut. :p :D

JRutledge Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by justacoach (Post 1026735)
You're both wrong, it was released in 1983 by Cyndi Lauper.

It was on the DJ's playlist for my 30th birthday party.

I was asking a question because the song certainly did not come out in the 70s. MTV was not out in 1979 and this video was apart of their early era. I also saw something that noted the song coming out in 1985. I was in the Junior High era.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:33am

I Want My MTV (Circa 1984) ...

https://youtu.be/AGZSWdh17l0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1026743)
Don't feed the troll ...

Too late, damage has already been done.

I'm pleased to hear that some are reading my post titles. I try to title each of my individual posts, often trying to make the titles interesting with some type of popular culture, musical, historical, or quotable reference.

In this case a mistake (since fixed) in my title generated more interest than the post itself.

If you've got a few minutes, enjoy the original 1983 video, maybe one of the best from the MTV era, back when MTV actually had music (young'uns can check out "music on MTV" on the Google).

https://youtu.be/PIb6AZdTr-A

Mregor Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:30pm

Some girls games are more of a social event than athletic competition. :D

Glad I don't officiate many of them.

JRutledge Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:39pm

I think we have to be careful with the generalizations. There are many times when girls do not look like they are having fun or that they really want to be there. Seen enough girls games where they argue (with each other), complain or look like they are in stress. There are many dynamics to sports. Often it is simply a moment in time where what you see will not happen again.

Peace

Altor Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:51pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1026727)
Call me sexist, but I doubt that I would see the same joy in a boys game. I believe that girls often have more fun playing basketball than boys. Not all the time, not all girls or not all boys, but often.

I'm pretty sure if you had a couple of 5'8" boys performing the re-jump, there would be some smiles and probably a comment or two.

BillyMac Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:54pm

One Moment In Time (Whitney Houston, 1988) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1026757)
I think we have to be careful with the generalizations.

Agree, thus my modifier: Not all the time, not all girls or not all boys, but often.

BillyMac Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:56pm

Because I Said So ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Altor (Post 1026759)
I'm pretty sure if you had a couple of 5'8" boys performing the re-jump, there would be some smiles and probably a comment or two.

No argument from me.

One of the new jumpers actually asked me "Do I have to?".

JRutledge Wed Dec 05, 2018 02:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1026760)
Agree, thus my modifier: Not all the time, not all girls or not all boys, but often.

Well, you can speak for yourself on this one. Many boys I see playing basketball have a fun time. Yes, it is competition, but many support each other and like seeing their teammates do well. I think this is about the culture of a team, not necessarily the gender of the players.

Peace

BillyMac Wed Dec 05, 2018 04:03pm

The White Shadow (1978) ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1026778)
Many boys I see playing basketball have a fun time ... many support each other and like seeing their teammates do well.

https://youtu.be/mC7dtj2Hh30

We didn't sing in the showers, but we always had a great time socializing in the locker room after games and practices, some of my fondest memories of high school.

Kansas Ref Thu Dec 06, 2018 04:27pm

I have written to the NF about jump balls---suggesting to them that its not needed--just give the initail possession to Visitor team. I did get a response saying that the "jump ball" was something that was rooted in the history of the game it will not be removed. Alas, :rolleyes: