Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 10:35pm
Official Forum Member

T or not?

Boys game, but probably don't matter.
What is the correct ruling?
Players have red jerseys, but several members are wearing different color undershirts with long sleeves (ie black, white, green etc).
Can't play till they conform to the dress code? Or let them play and issue a administration T?
Old Tue Nov 13, 2018, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

They are “unavailable” to become players until the situation is rectified. Said rectification needs to happen in such a way that the uniform shirt is not removed inside the visual confines of the court (which would be a T). No T involved; just can’t become a player until properly fixed.

Observing this should be handled during warm-ups, but admittedly that’s hard to assess if warm-up clothing is worn. Best chance then is during introductions when they start to expose the uniform shirts.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but if a starter needs to be replaced while he goes into the locker room to correct a uniform issue, there’s no penalty involved, right? He/she just needs to be replaced as a starter so we can start the game on time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:39am
Esteemed Forum Member

Colour My World (Chicago, 1970) ...

Players may not participate or even warm up while wearing jewelry. Religious medals, or medical alert medals, are not considered jewelry. A religious medal must be taped, and worn under the uniform. A medical alert medal must be taped, and may be visible.

Undershirts must be similar in color to the uniform jersey, and shall not have frayed edges. Undershirt sleeves shall be the same length. Note that this rule does not require all players to wear the same length sleeves on their undershirts, but each individual player must have sleeves the same length on the undershirt when worn.

Players are required to tuck in jerseys that are designed to be tucked inside the shorts. Players may not roll their waistbands; the uniform should be worn as the manufacturer intended it to be worn.

Headbands, wristbands, arm sleeves, knee sleeves, lower leg sleeves, compression shorts, and tights, shall be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the jersey. All of these items shall be the same color as worn by each player. Additionally, all of these items shall be the same color for all members of a team who choose to wear them. Anything worn on the arm, and/or the leg (except a knee brace), is defined as a sleeve, including knee pads, and elbow pads, and must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey. Only a single headband may be worn on the head, and headbands are not allowed to have extensions or tails. Only one moisture absorbing wristband is permitted on each wrist, and each wristband must be worn on the arm below the elbow.

Rubber, cloth, or elastic bands, of any color, may be used to control hair. Such soft hair control devices (e.g., ponytail holders) are under no color restrictions. Hard hair control devices including, but not limited to, beads, barrettes, and bobby pins, of any color, are prohibited. Remember, headbands go around the entire head (and must be the solid color black, white, beige, or the predominant color of the uniform jersey), while soft hair control devices only go around hair and are under no color restrictions.

No technical fouls for anything illegal in this post. They just can't play with illegal equipment, so a technical foul can't buy a player into the game for such infractions.

And, yes, this will be on the exam.

Link: https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1007860

Freddy's got a nice fashion police PDF. Maybe he can be persuaded to post it on the Forum.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Nov 14, 2018 at 02:55am.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 08:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

Equipment Versus Uniforms ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
They just can't play with illegal equipment, so a technical foul can't buy a player into the game for such (equipment) infractions.
On the flip side, a technical foul will "buy" a player into the game for an illegal uniform.

For example, a player can participate with an illegal number at the expense of a direct technical foul to his head coach.

"Hey Billy, get into the game, we need you to block some shots."

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 09:14am
This IS My Social Life

NFHS "Fashion Police" Guide in a PDF of two easy pages.
* Some interpretations may be applicable to a certain state.
* Revisable PowerPoint format available for revising to fit local circumstances.
2018,19 Fashion Police Guide - 2pp. PDF
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 09:26am
This IS My Social Life

Extensive, detailed presentation on 2018,19 Fashion Police rules, with many examples.
* Some interpretations of the rule applicable only in a certain state.
* Revisable PowerPoint format available.
2018,19 NFHS POE: Fashion Police Lesson
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Extensive, detailed presentation on 2018,19 Fashion Police rules, with many examples.
* Some interpretations of the rule applicable only in a certain state.
* Revisable PowerPoint format available.
2018,19 NFHS POE: Fashion Police Lesson
You've posted some great resources in the time that I've been posting/observing here. I'm sure they all take plenty of your time. Thanks for doing that.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 12:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Loose Waistband Drawstring ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
You've posted some great resources in the time that I've been posting/observing here. I'm sure they all take plenty of your time.
Freddy actually found two photos of players getting their fingers stuck in an opponent's loose waistband drawstring. He does stuff like this and he unclogs drains. Amazing.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 01:56pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Freddy . . . does stuff like this and he unclogs drains. Amazing.
Not anymore. Not since someone stated to me here back in '12, "Don't be a plumber", and I quit and sold the company. Got a job now where I can work on basketball online 12 hours a day. Highly preferable to fixing toilets.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

So It's Now Smith's Professional Plumbing, Inc. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Not anymore. Not since someone stated to me here back in '12, "Don't be a plumber", and I quit and sold the company. Got a job now where I can work on basketball online 12 hours a day. Highly preferable to fixing toilets.
Retired? I figured it was you who fixed everybody's drinking water in Flint, Michigan.

Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbman View Post
Boys game, but probably don't matter.
Players have red jerseys, but several members are wearing different color undershirts with long sleeves (ie black, white, green etc).
Can't play till they conform to the dress code? Or let them play and issue a administration T?
Is this confusion caused by the NFHS preseason guide? I forget what exactly they got wrong in there.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Is this confusion caused by the NFHS preseason guide?
Yes, the NFHS preseason guide, NFHS PowerPoint, and NFHS Illustrated rules all showed that illegal apparel was penalized by technical foul to the head coach. They then referenced PEN 10-6-4 (illegal uniforms) and 10-6-3 (participation after disqualification, which don't exactly apply.

I have spoken directly with Theresia Wynns with NFHS to confirm that they were all published erroneously.
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by griblets View Post
Yes, the NFHS preseason guide, NFHS PowerPoint, and NFHS Illustrated rules all showed that illegal apparel was penalized by technical foul to the head coach. They then referenced PEN 10-6-4 (illegal uniforms) and 10-6-3 (participation after disqualification, which don't exactly apply.

I have spoken directly with Theresia Wynns with NFHS to confirm that they were all published erroneously.

I can confirm that. This was a proposed rule change from one of the committee members in April that was ultimately not adopted. As is typical of the NFHS, some editor got ahead of themself, and then some incompetent senior editor let it go to press without the proper quality assurance.

How does stuff like this happen every stinkin’ year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Wed Nov 14, 2018, 06:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Stupid NFHS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
This was a proposed rule change from one of the committee members in April that was ultimately not adopted. As is typical of the NFHS, some editor got ahead of themself, and then some incompetent senior editor let it go to press without the proper quality assurance. How does stuff like this happen every stinkin’ year?
Here's the proposal: The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform or illegal apparel.

Penalty – Direct technical foul charged to the head coach. Rule 10, Section 6, Article 4: The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform (see 3-4) or illegal apparel.

Rationale: It makes the rule easier to understand by officials, coaches & players. We are spending more time discussing what is legal & illegal with uniforms & apparel than we are spending with hand checking, post-play, etc. It will also put more responsibility on coaches to make sure their players are dressed legally.

Proposed by Gene Menees of Hermitage, Tennessee.

Part of me wanted it to go through, and part of me didn't.

I thought that the penalty was too harsh, too harsh so that some officials may not bother enforcing, so it's ignored.

Maybe just make the coach sit with no technical foul of any kind.

Mixed feelings.

Old Thu Nov 15, 2018, 09:02am
Esteemed Forum Member

Downgrading Penalties ???

Quote:
I thought that the penalty was too harsh, too harsh so that some officials may not bother enforcing, so it's ignored.
This reminds me of something else, but I just can't quite put my finger on it.

Hasn't the NFHS "downgraded" penalties in the past because officials weren't enforcing because officials believed that the penalty was too harsh?

Maybe "leaving the court for unauthorized reasons", or "excessively swinging elbows with no contact"?

They're now violations. Were either, or both, ever technical fouls?

What am I thinking of?

C'mon Mark T. DeNucci, Sr., help me out, make the trip up to your attic before it gets too cold.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 15, 2018 at 02:11pm.