The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Nov 03, 2018, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Young'uns today don't realize how tough it was for us to see out of town games on television, especially those of us living in a small markets without major league teams.
I lived on Long Island in the early 70s, and the only way to watch home Jets or Giants games was Channel 3 (New Haven) or Channel 20 (UHF-Waterbury) - I may not have the cities correct. The famous Honeymooners Episode with Ralph directing Norton around the apartment with the antenna - that was our house every Sunday! And only away Knicks/Rangers games on Channel 9. The first home game I went to, when I saw the home white jerseys, was quite an experience!
Old Sun Nov 04, 2018, 12:45pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Cable Television ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The famous Honeymooners Episode with Ralph directing Norton around the apartment with the antenna - that was our house every Sunday!
My Dad would be on the roof changing the direction of the antennae all the time. And when we watched the "portable" television (most televisions back then were like big pieces of furniture and were not very portable) we would crinkle aluminum foil (for some reason we called it "tin" foil) around the "rabbit ears" antennae to improve the reception.

As an adult, when I moved to my current location, our television reception got worse. When I lived in the New Haven area as a youth, we got reception from both the New York stations (a little fuzzy, but we could watch it), and the Connecticut stations. At my new location, between two high mountains, we just got the four Connecticut stations, affiliates of ABC, CBS, NBC, and PBS. Four choices, period. No independent stations.

Then one Sunday afternoon, about forty years ago, the neighborhood heard that the cable television, new to our town, salesman was coming down our street. We were all waiting for him our front stoops, with checkbooks in hand, and he made a lot of easy sales in my neighborhood.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 04, 2018, 01:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Can It Core A Apple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The famous Honeymooners Episode with Ralph directing Norton around the apartment with the antenna ...
I couldn't find the "television" episode (at least not a short version suitable for posting), but I did find a short video of one of my favorite episodes, the Chef of the Future ("Can it core a apple?") episode.

Classic. Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/W_dE9aY0phE
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Nov 04, 2018 at 04:13pm.