The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   NFHS Preseason Guide 2018 -- a problem (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/104043-nfhs-preseason-guide-2018-problem.html)

Nevadaref Wed Sep 26, 2018 04:27am

NFHS Preseason Guide 2018 -- a problem

Seems that someone jumped the gun in an article which appears in the 2018 preseason guide and this has resulted in a problem. I believe that one of the rule changes under consideration, but ultimately rejected this past off-season was to make coaches accountable for illegal equipment by creating a penalty of a technical foul charged to the head coach should a player be found to be wearing an illegal item.
Well, here is what has been printed in the preseason guide:
"Coaches shall not allow players to wear illegal equipment or apparel. Should a team member participate while wearing illegal equipment or apparel, the penalty is a technical foul charged to the head coach as described in Rule 10-6-3 Pen. upon discovery."

Unfortunately, this isn't true. Illegal equipment and apparel are not the same as an illegal uniform and don't result in the same penalty.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Fri Sep 28, 2018 02:23pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1024891)
Seems that someone jumped the gun in an article which appears in the 2018 preseason guide and this has resulted in a problem. I believe that one of the rule changes under consideration, but ultimately rejected this past off-season was to make coaches accountable for illegal equipment by creating a penalty of a technical foul charged to the head coach should a player be found to be wearing an illegal item.
"Coaches shall not allow players to wear illegal equipment or apparel. Should a team member participate while wearing illegal equipment or apparel, the penalty is a technical foul charged to the head coach as described in Rule 10-6-3 Pen. upon discovery."

Unfortunately, this isn't true. Illegal equipment and apparel are not the same as an illegal uniform and don't result in the same penalty.

Good catch Nevada.

MTD, Sr.

The_Rookie Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:31am

Quote:

As always all over it my man!

BillyMac Sun Sep 30, 2018 07:00pm

Illegal Apparel ...

Quote:

I believe that one of the rule changes under consideration, but ultimately rejected this past off-season was to make coaches accountable for illegal equipment by creating a penalty of a technical foul charged to the head coach should a player be found to be wearing an illegal item.

As Nevadaref stated, it was a proposed rule change, but one that was not, obviously, accepted by the committee.

It was proposed by Gene Menees of Hermitage, Tennessee.

The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform or illegal apparel.

Penalty – Direct technical foul charged to the head coach. Rule 10, Section 6, Article 4: The head coach shall not permit a team member to participate while wearing an illegal uniform or illegal apparel.

Rationale: It makes the rule easier to understand by officials, coaches & players. We are spending more time discussing what is legal & illegal with uniforms & apparel than we are spending with hand checking, post-play, etc. It will also put more responsibility on coaches to make sure their players are dressed legally.

referee99 Wed Oct 03, 2018 09:11am

The can of worms has been opened.

The publication of this erroneous information will be felt, unfortunately, for a while.

Nevadaref Wed Oct 03, 2018 04:36pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 1025034)
The publication of this erroneous information will be felt, unfortunately, for a while.

A mitigating factor is that not all associations provide the NFHS preseason guide. I know that the CA chapter for which I officiate does not.

BillyMac Wed Oct 03, 2018 05:11pm

I Heard It Through the Grapevine (Marvin Gaye, 1968) ...

Quote:

Unfortunately? Maybe some good will come from this. Coaches may hear about it "through the grapevine" and actually do their job.

Camron Rust Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:12pm

Quote:

Not the first time....backcourt violation anyone?

Freddy Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:30pm

Around here, the NFHS Preseason Guide is less known than even the NFHS Interpretations. Which, by the way, are typically the last annual release by the NFHS to clean up all the preceding errors that have been made in the preseason publications and documents up to that point.
In other words, we can expect an Interpretation to correct the error in the Preseason Guide.
My guess.

BillyMac Thu Oct 04, 2018 06:09am

NFHS Preseason Guide ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevadaref (Post 1025059)
A mitigating factor is that not all associations provide the NFHS preseason guide. I know that the CA chapter for which I officiate does not.

The NFHS Preseason Guide is not provided to us here in my little corner of Connecticut (I never even heard about it until this thread).

I'm on a new committee this season and I will be expected to write an article on new rules for area newspapers. It sounds like the guide can be a good resource for me to base my article on.

Can I find this guide online? If so, where? If not, can someone post it on the Forum? If not, can someone email it to me, send me a private message and I'll reply with my real email address.

referee99 Thu Oct 04, 2018 08:22am

I think that is the point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1025060)
Unfortunately? Maybe some good will come from this. Coaches may hear about it "through the grapevine" and actually do their job.

It appears to me that NFHS wants coaches to embrace a role in the policing of their teams instead of leaving it up to the officials.

referee99 Thu Oct 04, 2018 08:38am

I think this is it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 1025064)
The NFHS Preseason Guide is not provided to us here in my little corner of Connecticut (I never even heard about it until this thread).

I'm on a new committee this season and I will be expected to write an article on new rules for area newspapers. It sounds like the guide can be a good resource for me to base my article on.

Can I find this guide online? If so, where? If not, can someone post it on the Forum? If not, can someone email it to me, send me a private message and I'll reply with my real email address.

I am assuming this powerpoint presentation is what we are referring to:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1m7_...ew?usp=sharing

Realize I'm making an assumption, as it is not labeled as such and has been co-branded by CBOA.

bob jenkins Thu Oct 04, 2018 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 1025067)

Realize I'm making an assumption, as it is not labeled as such and has been co-branded by CBOA.

No. This is (or was before the CBOA additions) a powerpoint sent by NFHS to the states to be used in rules presentations to officials and coaches.

There is also a 12-14 page newsletter sent out. It's co-written by RefMag and mailed to officials in some states -- we get it here every year. I think they were sent by the state last Friday, so we should begetting them here soon.

BillyMac Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:34am

PowerPoint, Newsletter ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 1025067)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 1025068)
No. This is (or was before the CBOA additions) a powerpoint sent by NFHS to the states to be used in rules presentations to officials and coaches. There is also a 12-14 page newsletter sent out. It's co-written by RefMag and mailed to officials in some states -- we get it here every year. I think they were sent by the state last Friday, so we should begetting them here soon.

Thanks guys.

BillyMac Thu Oct 04, 2018 01:12pm

Concussion ...

From the NFHS PowerPoint 2018:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1972/...877213f6_m.jpg

Here in Connecticut, we've been told to never use the term "concussion" when discussing an injury with a coach. Never, ever. Verboten.

Rather: "Coach. I think that 15 got hit in the head. She looks like he's dizzy. You may want to check her."