The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

Could you guys (and Julie) post some examples of borderline cases for when you would/would not give a technical foul.

Last year I reffed MS and HS girls ball and never gave a T to a coach once.--And only one to a player. The coaches in this league are well mannered and I never even heard of one given out last year. Looking back there was only once where a coach really deserved it-but since I kicked the call I just gave him a warning (and he apologized after the game).

HS Boys ball around here is different and T's are more common. I hope to ref more boys ball this year and would like to hear some cases of when a T was borderline but you think best to give it. Similarly I would like to hear about stories when a coach pushed the line-- but did not cross it.

And before you ask -yes boys ball and girls ball are on different nights around here.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 07:09am
Official Forum Member

OC,

Experience will tell you what to put up with. If you watch a lot of basketball, you will notice some refs have quick triggers and others endure more criticisms.

I figure there are a few categories:

1. Administrative techs that can not be ignored (6 players on the court, excessive timeouts etc...)

2. Unsportsmanlike conduct that is blatant (loud swearing, throwing the ball in the stands in frustration, blatant gestures...)

3. And finally the techs for constant questionning and complaining. I have no problem with a coach questionning a call a few times a games. But if it becomes a constant thing where I here complaints every second trip down the floor, I will warn the coach that I will not put up with it any longer.

I do not have a quick trigger. But I am not a door mat either.

As you start out at a higher level, you may have some coaches who will test you to see how far they can go. If so, take care of business.

Last point, when calling a tech, do so in a calm manner. It shows to everyone that you are under control.

Jay
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 08:45am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Could you ... post some examples of borderline cases for when you would/would not give a technical foul.

oc,
I made a travel call in the post, from 2-man Trail.
During the ensuing dead ball, the coach stepped 5' onto the court and called me over to him.
I jogged to him, hands folded behind my back and my ear leaning toward him. He said, "Mick, that was a bull **** call!"
I took a step back and whacked him.
No one heard what he said except me. (In fact, he even mentioned that he didn't think he deserved a "T", because it was just between us.)
I am not easily disturbed by language, but that night, on that floor, his choice of words struck me as being offensive.
Three weeks later, at coach's and my next game together and during pregame, he said he would "behave tonight". We chuckled.
mick
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally posted by oc
Could you guys (and Julie) post some examples of borderline cases for when you would/would not give a technical foul.
You want borderline cases. In borderline situations, I usually try to warn first. Notice, I'm talking here about borderline stuff. Anything that's defined in the book gets a T the first time -- administrative (although below varsity, I'm a little lenient on these sometimes), unsportsmanlike, and so on. Any coach or player who is clearly quite inexperienced, I warn first, unless it's just foul. For instance, the swear word quietly under the breath when the shot is missed, I may ignore, or I may warn. Anything directed at me quietly I will respond to, or warn the first time, as long as it doesn't include profanity (automatic) or the name of Jesus (pushes my buttons!).

Continual, or repeated whining, I will warn but once only. Then whack! This would be stuff such as, "When you gonna call the foul?" "I can't believe you called that" "You're killing us here" "Travel, travel, oh, my, gosh" "That was a terrible call" and so on ad nauseum. If it goes on more than about 30 or 40 seconds in a row (as the game continues), I warn, and then allow the occasional single comment, but no more repeated stuff. If it is about one play, I warn after about 15 seconds, or if it is holdng up the game, I'll warn in about 5 seconds, or just whack.

The only coach T I gave last season was to a coach who just whined along, quietly. She never did talk loud enough for the crowd to hear, but her players did. When they started copping an attitude, I warned the coach, although she apparently didn't hear me -- she really was not stopping at all. Finally, I'd had enough and I shut her down. After the firt T, I still allowed her an occasional comment, but she didn't do anymore whining. But she was fine the rest of the game.

I would say, as a general rule, in borderline situations, always warn first, even -- or maybe especially -- with the more capable, experienced coaches. If the same thing happens again, probably whack. Remember that the T is supposed to make the game better. If a warning will do the job, that's better for everyone. YOu maintain control and authority without embarassing or belittling anyone. This looks good to evaluators. When you've tried everything else, and the T is the only thing left, well, use it.

[Edited by rainmaker on Oct 13th, 2003 at 09:39 AM]
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:56am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Outside the coaching box can be borderline.

If a coach is wondering outside Michigan's dinky 6'0" box, I may say:
  • That's a big box tonight, eh?
  • Are you okay with where the box is tonight?
  • Are you getting mileage tonight?

mick
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:05am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
    Re: Outside the coaching box can be borderline.

Quote:
    Originally posted by mick

mick
  • How about, "Come back to your cage, little lost puppy"?
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:16am
    In Memoriam

Re: Re: Outside the coaching box can be borderline.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Indy_Ref
    Quote:

mick
  • How about, "Come back to your cage, little lost puppy"?
    I'll, maybe, save that one for my very last game.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:18am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Indy_Ref
    Re: Re: Re: Outside the coaching box can be borderline.

Quote:

How about, "Come back to your cage, little lost puppy"? [/B]
    I have a partner who said he actually used that one! Of course, he had known the coach for several years.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:29am
    Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Outside the coaching box can be borderline.

Quote:
    How about, "Come back to your cage, little lost puppy"?
    That's how it feels to me when I have to remind a coach. "Back in your box!" or "The box, coach" sounds like talking to an animal. I've started using a more feminine version, "Coach I really need you to stay inside your lines here. (with gesture)." Or more firmly, "Coach, you need to stay inside your lines." It just feels less aggressive.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:30am
    Do not give a damn!!

I personally think that Technical fouls in general are boarderline and avoidable. And whether we like it or not, book Ts are blamed heavily on the officials when they happen. Even many of the conduct ones are also avoidable if you handle yourself properly from the beginning to the end. I have gone entire seasons without giving one T. If you are a good communicator this can be easily accomplished and if you know what your responsibilities as an official are.

Peace
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:38am
    In Memoriam

Quote:

• The size of a coaching box should always be a l'il bit flexible. The size of a "bit@hing" box is never flexible. JMO.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:58am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias

Quote:
    Originally posted by rainmaker
    Quote:
    That's how it feels to me when I have to remind a coach. "Back in your box!" or "The box, coach" sounds like talking to an animal. I've started using a more feminine version, "Coach I really need you to stay inside your lines here. (with gesture)." Or more firmly, "Coach, you need to stay inside your lines." It just feels less aggressive.
    My line is always, "Coach, I need you to find your box, please". I think it's polite, but not a suggestion.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:56am
    Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref

Quote:
    Quote:
    I spent much of last year training my puppy behavior type things like "stay", "no" - you know, one word sharp commands to quickly get his attention. Anywho, about this time during an AAU game a coach jumped up suddenly to voice his displeasure, I turned around and sharply said "SIT!". He looked at me like I was nuts, started to say something, then just sat down.
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:10pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Outside the coaching box can be borderline.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Dan_ref
    Quote:
    Quote:
    I spent much of last year training my puppy behavior type things like "stay", "no" - you know, one word sharp commands to quickly get his attention. Anywho, about this time during an AAU game a coach jumped up suddenly to voice his displeasure, I turned around and sharply said "SIT!". He looked at me like I was nuts, started to say something, then just sat down.
    Next time you're going to do this, let me know ahead of tiem, wouja please? I'd pay for a airline ticket to see it!!
    Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:17pm
    In Memoriam

Re: Re: Re: Re: Outside the coaching box can be borderline.

Quote:
    Originally posted by Dan_ref
    ... I turned around and sharply said "SIT!". He looked at me like I was nuts, started to say something, then just sat down.
    When you looked at him with that tone of voice, I'll bet it was very effective.