The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Signals between officials?

Good morning, all. I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of signals that officials use to communicate with each other. We go over these in pregames all the time -- something to remind each other that the next foul is in the bonus, or that the shot clock is low during an inbounds play, etc. What signals do you use? It would be great to compile a list to share around if one doesn't already exist.
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 08:24am
Do not give a damn!!

There are so many possible signals officials have that are made up or personal to the officials or crew, there is no list anywhere of what we do to communicate with each other. Like how we communicate we are in the bonus or how we have warned a player or coach. This varies from official to official sometimes and I have never seen an actual list as people do things a little different in how they communicate those things if they communicate those things at all.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

This thread might be helpful...

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...-tell-you.html
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotto View Post
Good morning, all. I was wondering if there was a list somewhere of signals that officials use to communicate with each other. We go over these in pregames all the time -- something to remind each other that the next foul is in the bonus, or that the shot clock is low during an inbounds play, etc. What signals do you use? It would be great to compile a list to share around if one doesn't already exist.
More important than what the actual signals may be is that the officials are getting eye contact with each other so that they can communicate through nonverbals, whatever those nonverbals may be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Tue Sep 11, 2018, 06:47pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Body Language ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
More important than what the actual signals may be is that the officials are getting eye contact with each other so that they can communicate through nonverbals, whatever those nonverbals may be.
Good point Raymond.

We've got a few grizzled veterans whose only pregame is, "Good eye contact". Period.

It may not be a good pregame, but good eye contact is an absolute necessity in order to do a good job officiating a basketball game.

We had a speaker a few years ago that spoke on how one partner's body language gives information to the other, especially in regard to players moving through primary coverage areas. One's stance, and the direction one's body faces, may help a partner figure out, "He's picked up the ball handler, I should concentrate off ball". Great clinic. Learned a lot.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 11, 2018 at 11:37pm.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2018, 09:38pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Eye contact should be made between all officials every dead ball, and between Lead and Slot when able during transition or when reaching the home spot in the frontcourt.